Recommend Me A Movie Topic

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Leto has a limited release in the USA this week-end, so if you can, do the right thing and go watch it. One of the very best film of 2018. Also the director deserves to be supported.

How's Heaven's Gate? I read the production was a nasty one but it's got a pretty neat cast and I think Zsigmond is a great DoP

Nomis wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 11:53 am
How's Heaven's Gate? I read the production was a nasty one but it's got a pretty neat cast and I think Zsigmond is a great DoP
It looks amazing but it's a hugely dysfunctional chore

Yeah I watched it last night. That's how I feel about it too.

Nomis wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 7:16 am
Yeah I watched it last night. That's how I feel about it too.
Final Cut: The Making and Unmaking of Heaven's Gate is a great documentary to watch along with the feature. It tells the story of the behind-the-scenes woes and how the film help end director-led films. The whole thing is on youtube.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 5:53 am
Nomis wrote:
Which version did you watch?

Demoph wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 7:09 am
ArmandFancypants wrote:
Nomis wrote:
The amazing-looking dysfunctional chore version.

TBH I can't remember it's been many moons since I viewed it. Honestly the only Cimino films I've enjoyed was the ludicrous Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, and the coke-addled Year of the Dragon. Special points to the amusing remake of Desperate Hours but I really don't think much of him sadly.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot is amazing

ArmandFancypants wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 9:52 am
Demoph wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 7:09 am
ArmandFancypants wrote:

The amazing-looking dysfunctional chore version.

TBH I can't remember it's been many moons since I viewed it. Honestly the only Cimino films I've enjoyed was the ludicrous Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, and the coke-addled Year of the Dragon. Special points to the amusing remake of Desperate Hours but I really don't think much of him sadly.
So I was asking because I went yesterday to see it in a cinema (btw, it should only be seen on the big screen). The film was introduced by C.Walken, that was the first time I saw a film in a cinema with one of the star of the film :D (though I'm not sure he stayed for the film...).
I saw the 3H37 minutes version. There is a lot to admire, a lot that is really great, I wouldn't say it's dysfunctional. To me, the issue is more that there are some stuff that work perfectly and some others that don't work as well. I think the main story is really great, the scenes where the immigrants are being beaten up in the streets are very moving. But the characters (Kristofferson, Huppert, Walken) are not that much interesting. This gave me the same feeling as Titanic: it would be perfect if there was not all these uninteresting character development, and it just focused on the event it describes. In the end Brad Dourif's thirty seconds moved me as much as Huppert's entire arc, although Huppert is amazing.
The photography is incredible, it rivals Ryan's daughter or Days of Heaven. But the constant circling travellings gave me headaches. Cimino is better when he captures the scale of the event, and moves all the extras on the set, than when he gets his camera very close, and moving very fast.
I would definitely recommend watching it in cinema, despite some issues with the writing.

is Orca (1977) bad bad or good bad?