Recommend Me A Movie Topic

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 8:29 am
just ugh recommend me a movie (old, new, doesn’t matter) you think i should see / could possibly like
Cuaron's A Little Princess.£

How is Kubrick's The Killing? I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth $20 to drop on the Criterion BD of The Killing that comes with Killer's Kiss. I mean, I know it is, but I'm trying not to spend money willy nilly and if the films aren't that great, I'd like to know that.

Bacon wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 12:35 am
How is Kubrick's The Killing? I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth $20 to drop on the Criterion BD of The Killing that comes with Killer's Kiss. I mean, I know it is, but I'm trying not to spend money willy nilly and if the films aren't that great, I'd like to know that.
The Killing is really great but it's not buy it instead of tons of better / more important stuff great.

why do I have to keep saying KUROSAWA

-Vader

Because Kurosawa is available at my university's library and Kanopy but The Killing is not at either.

When it comes to Bresson, what movie should I start with?

Artemis wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 4:59 pm
When it comes to Bresson, what movie should I start with?

^lol i know enough about that movie to never want to watch it. i feel like it would just make me infinitely sad

So, Oliver Stones' Alexander has a lot of pretty bad reviews but I'm still kinda interested in it. Which version should I watch though? I see there are several, with the longest running time being 4/5 hours :shock:

It would be pretty cool if we'd get more films set during ancient times and then for the cast to speak the original languages of that given time, instead of English because that's more accessible. One of the reasons why I admire Gibson's Passion of the Christ.

Nomis wrote:
December 25th, 2018, 8:03 pm
So, Oliver Stones' Alexander has a lot of pretty bad reviews but I'm still kinda interested in it.
this scenario is often when i'm most excited to watch a movie. i love long shit so i'd go all in if i were you.

^coming back to that, what an experience. There have been made so many mistakes when it comes to storytelling, performances, and more. The narrative is completely chaotic, the performances are... sometimes even painful to watch. It felt like only Leto and Dawson actually gave a damn and did the best they could with the material they had to work with. The film is obviously overlong, yes I watched the longest version possible but I doubt any of the shorter versions are actually better. It's just a relief when it's all over. Having said that, I still found it rather interesting to watch and to see all kinds of filmmaking mistakes unfold before me on the screen.

I do hope we one day get something more focused, made with more passion and craft (that is to say, some of the practical battle scenes did look quite okay in Oliver Stone's film) and above all something with a vision to truly pull you into the fascinating story of Alexander the Great, which on paper it still very much is.
Would be pretty ballsy if we'd get a character study and the film in Greek and Farsi (or something closer to ancient Persian, just like the Greek language). I would love to see a film like that one day.

I just saw Dangerous Liaisons again, and damn I forgot how incredible it is. It's so sensual, so stylish, so immensely seductive and interesting in the way the characters interact, their underlying intentions and the way they betray each other. It goes from vanity, to jealousy to plain cruelty and it's being told in such a terrific way you're just glued to the screen. The cinematography and the costumes are beautiful. The performances range from Reeves doing his best I guess, to Thurman, Malkovich and especially Pfeiffer's wonderful work. But this is Glenn Close' show and goddam it she plays it to perfection and beyond. She owns the screen, she has delivered many wonderful performances in her career but this has got to remain one of my favourite of hers. A true stunner. Those last couple of scenes, just seal the deal. Incredible.
I would love it if she'd win the Oscar for The Wife, which is amongst some of her finest work as well, which is saying a lot. Honestly, she should've won for this but checking that Oscar year... Basically all actresses could've won and everyone would've been okay with that, but alas, there can be only one each year.

Either way, I only just found out that there's another adaptation of the novel, Valmont, and I was wondering if any of you have seen it? I'm quite intrigued since it's been directed by Forman and got Firth and Bening in some of their earliest if not their earliest roles. Quite the actors as well. And above all it's just a very good story.