Your favorite movie that fu*ked with your mind

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Which left you "OH MY BALLS"?

Spellbound (1945) - Alfred Hitchcock
No votes
Rashomon (1950) - Akira Kurosawa
No votes
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - Stanley Kubrick
7%
Solyaris (1972) - Andrei Tarkovsky
No votes
Eraserhead (1977) - David Lynch
No votes
Videodrome (1983) - David Cronenberg
4%
Brazil (1985) - Terry Gilliam
No votes
Jacob's Ladder (1990) - Adrian Lyne
No votes
Se7en (1995) - David Fincher
No votes
The Usual Suspects (1995) - Bryan Singer
7%
Abre Los Ojos (1997) - Alejandro Amenabar
4%
Fight Club (1999) - David Fincher
15%
The Sixth Sense (1999) - M. Night Shyamalan
No votes
Donnie Darko (2001) - Richard Kelly
7%
Mulholland Dr. (2001) - David Lynch
11%
Oldboy (2003) - Chan-wook Park
7%
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - Michel Gondry
11%
The Fountain (2006) - Darren Aronofsky
No votes
Shutter Island (2010) - Martin Scorsese
4%
Other...
22%

Total votes: 27

Jonas Agersø wrote:None of these film fucked with my mind to be honest. Some great twists in some of them, but i wouldn't call that fucking with my mind.

How is Black Swan fucking with your mind btw? When fucking with your mind I assume you mean having twists? In that case Black Swan had the most obvious story and ending ever, it was pretty much all covered in the first 5 minutes of the film, it almost treated its audience like 3 year olds.
Really?You completely understand 2001,Donnie Darko or Mullholand Dr. from 1st viewing?

Mr. Caine wrote:
Jonas Agersø wrote:None of these film fucked with my mind to be honest. Some great twists in some of them, but i wouldn't call that fucking with my mind.

How is Black Swan fucking with your mind btw? When fucking with your mind I assume you mean having twists? In that case Black Swan had the most obvious story and ending ever, it was pretty much all covered in the first 5 minutes of the film, it almost treated its audience like 3 year olds.
Really?You completely understand 2001,Donnie Darko or Mullholand Dr. from 1st viewing?
No, but what has that to do with fucking with my mind? I think its a bit too loose term. If fucking with your mind just means that you don't understand them on the first viewing, I can just make a film of a seed growing into a grass straw. No one would understand a hack of it, but it sure wouldn't be fucking with peoples minds would it? I think we need to specify.

Jonas Agersø wrote:
Mr. Caine wrote: Really?You completely understand 2001,Donnie Darko or Mullholand Dr. from 1st viewing?
No, but what has that to do with fucking with my mind? I think its a bit too loose term. If fucking with your mind just means that you don't understand them on the first viewing, I can just make a film of a seed growing into a grass straw. No one would understand a hack of it, but it sure wouldn't be fucking with peoples minds would it? I think we need to specify.
Well then RIFA will have to specify for us :D
Most of David Lynch's films are pure mindfucks...I mean seriously film like Inland Empire really plays with your Brain :D
Last edited by Mr. Caine on April 3rd, 2011, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Caine wrote:
Jonas Agersø wrote: No, but what has that to do with fucking with my mind? I think its a bit too loose term. If fucking with your mind just means that you don't understand them on the first viewing, I can just make a film of a seed growing into a grass straw. No one would understand a hack of it, but it sure wouldn't be fucking with peoples minds would it? I think we need to specify.
Well then RIFA will have to specify for us :D
I agree, when that is specified I would love to come with some examples. But don't get me wrong, I watch most good films atleast twice to really get the story, the symbolism and the characters ;)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Abre Los Ojos

Any movie can be potentially mind altering. It just depends on how you choose to perceive it. So my choice is every movie I watch (other).

But if I had to decide from that list I would choose the movies that were the most influential on my life.
Donnie Darko
Fight Club
Sixth Sense

Those movies were about perceptions. Perceptions of people, events, time, and of self, which leads me to think about everything. Now I constantly try to change how I perceive things not only in my own life, but other people’s lives as well.

That is also a part of why I am a Nolan fan. His movies ask questions. And not only do they allow me to answer those questions but they allow me to ask a lot of my own questions.

Fight Club changed the way i view lift :modesty:

Anything by David Lynch + Oldboy.

Lynch's picture's ARE total mindfucks. He plays with sound/imagery far too much to keep your mental state at a consistently table level throughout viewing.

On another note, I dislike Eternal Sunshine, and find it very much structurally flawed, as well as manipulative
the 'twist' is that they showed something out of order to strick the audience into believing something? That's not a twist. That's bad screenwriting. And I LOVE Charlie Kaufman's other work.
, and just found the first and third acts lacking. Meh.

How is Shutter Island a mindfuck?

cassm wrote:How is Shutter Island a mindfuck?
Because it has a twist ending...:D
Mindfuck
"A cinematic technique that uses misdirection to lead to an
ending that is at first glance completely unexpected or
contradictory, but is coherent and reasonable given hindsight
and careful observation of the clues presented."