Fright Night (2011)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
great response from cinemacon
We saw an 8 minute sequence which begins with Anton Yelchin‘s character Charley Brewster, his girl friend Amy Peterson (Imogen Poots) and mother Jane Brewster (Toni Collette) are trapped inside a house with vampire Jerry Dandrige (Colin Farrell) trying to get inside. Jerry is able to lure them out (I won’t ruin how) and a car chase ensues. What followed was a 3-4 minute shot that takes place inside their car as they try to escape. The camera moves around the car, in movements which would be impossible in reality, reminiscent of the car sequence in Alfonso Cuarón’s Children of Men. But the difference is — this is in 3D. This is one case where the 3D really immerses you in the action. You feel trapped in the car with the characters as Farrell’s character attacks the car with his vehicle. I can’t express how thrilling this sequence is.

My biggest complaint about recent vampire movies and TV shows is that almost every vampire we meet is a friendly or misunderstood creature. We rarely see what a vampire truly is: a cold blooded killer. However, in Fright Night, Colin Farrell plays Jerry like the shark in Jaws, and I can’t wait to see audiences jump in terror.

When the sequence was over, the audience at CinemaCon gave the footage real applause. Again, Fright Night looks to be another winner for DreamWorks.

black eyes will never stop being creepy to me

seems like the movie is a Vampire twist to Disturbia/Rear Window...makes sense since Anton Yelchin's reps have been trying to establish him in the same way as Shia Labeouf

Hope this one is as enjoyable as the original Fright Night [1985], which went on to become a cult classic.

OMG, I watched the original with my mom and sisters and that scares us to death, I hope that this new one will equally scares us as well!

All we need is a sexy vampire!

It won't be scary. It might be fun and/or interesting, it might be good if it tries to achieve something different, but it won't be scary.

prince0gotham wrote:It won't be scary. It might be fun and/or interesting, it might be good if it tries to achieve something different, but it won't be scary.

You should read the thread before posting. Response cinemacon says audience was legitimately terrified

You should read between the lines. Whether I meant scary compared to the original, scary compared to other films, scary overall, scary for me or scary compared to the expectations or things like audience footage is something to be expected of me to mean. But yes, maybe I should've said it in the first post so I wouldn't have to dedicate a whole separate post for it.

Then there's Anton – I think he's going to be huge. He has such humanity. He's so likeable. He's a perfect Spielbergian hero, you know? He's human-sized, and yet, he feels things so deeply and he makes you feel them too. That was really true across the board. They just dug in and pretended that it wasn't a horror movie—it's just a movie where some crazy stuff is happening. Anton, first and foremost, he just really brought it.
There were a couple of things. One was this opportunity to write a different kind of vampire. There've been a lot of the romantic kinds of vampires around lately, and I love that, but I was also just hungering for a vampire that was more like "Jaws." In the original, the Chris Sarandon character falls a little bit more into the pining vampire category, but he's still pretty terrifying and lethal. We saw an opportunity to just really go for that.
:thumbup:

Talli's post about Anton's reps is quite funny. :lol:

I haven't seen the original so I don't know anything about the story or the characters. Colin Farrell is one of my favorite actors and I think he is perferct for this role. I am sure that he is going to amaze us. Thanks for the posts about the footage and a little insight on some scenes. So far I am intrigued. But 3D, I am not into that at all.

The only Vampire movie that I actually love is LET ME IN. Screw the Twilight movies.