What was the last movie you've watched? II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
cooldued wrote:
Dodd wrote:Ides of March

8/10
what are your general thoughts on the film?
I'm the type of guy who loves political thrillers especially when dirty deals are involved (and they were in this movie)

I thought Paul and Hoff were the strongest in this movie. the only thing i didn't like was
THE ENDING SUUUUUUUUCKED
Why you lurking my page brah?

Vader182 wrote:
theweatherman wrote:A New Hope (bluray)

Such an entertaining movie and the bluray is pretty sweet.

Also Vader, I love that you're watching Miyazaki and Kieslowski films right now, they are some of my favorite directors. I also love that you liked White so much, it seems many people don't think it is very good, but I love the way he blends a serious story within this lighthearted comedy. I'm curious to see what you think of Red, and if you get a chance to watch it, the Double Life of Veronique (My favorite of his films).
Red's my favorite. I really adore the films, I think I'd award a 9 to them as a whole. Really want to rewatch them before delving into anything like a profound review. I'll make sure I get Double Life of Veronique and watch it when I can.

-Vader
I like Red a lot, I go back and forth between it and Blue as the best of the trilogy, but the ending of this one bugged the crap out of me. I love all of them though and really feel like watching them again sometime soon. Definitely check out the Double Life of Veronique, Ebert put it in his top ten for the 90's.

Midnight In Paris - 8.3/10

Battle of Britain (1969)
7/10

Such a great film. Seriously. The action throughout was nearly spot-on. Caine was really great.

Thanksgiving weekend roundup! Cause it's thanksgiving in canada for some reason. Rating System!?

Pan's Labyrinth, 6.4/10
My god it was more depressing than Boogie Nights. :lol:

I'm Not There, 6.7/10
Probably the most accurate portrait of Bob Dylan out there. Though if you're not familiar with his life & work the film makes zero attempt to explain itself. For a less abstract document of his life i'd recommend Scorsese's biopic epic "No Direction Home". Ledger and Blanchett were notably great but checkhovs all around.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, 7.7/10
Favorite Edgar Wright film. Hilarious. You just can't feel bad watching it. Could have been trimmed a bit.

solo2001 wrote:I'm Not There, 6.7/10
Probably the most accurate portrait of Bob Dylan out there. Though if you're not familiar with his life & work the film makes zero attempt to explain itself. For a less abstract document of his life i'd recommend Scorsese's biopic epic "No Direction Home". Ledger and Blanchett were notably great but checkhovs all around.
'I'm Not There' is one of my favourite films of all-time, mainly becuase of how the film was told through 6 different characters that reflected on Dylan's life. I've never seen a biopic told like that.

Shattered Glass - 9/10

Cilogy wrote:Hanna - 8/10

One of the most underrated films of the last few years. I simply cannot understand why this film hasn't received as much attention as it should have.

First of all, Joe Wright is an incredible director, he's slowly getting into my top 5. Second, and most importantly, Saoirse Ronan is a doll, and a badass. She was perfect for this role in so many ways and I really cannot think of anyone else who would have done it, unless the producers really looked for someone at the depths of high school martial arts clubs across the world. She has such rich potential in Hollywood as she grows older. She was great in Atonement and The Lovely Bones and she just amazes me in this film.
:clap: :twothumbsup:
I would have given it a 9, but the only weak point was Cate Blanchett's performance. She was good, but she didn't feel like a villainous character. Someone like Tilda Swinton or Glenn Close would have been perfect and would have really rounded out this film in a great way.
:thumbdown:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little Fish (2005)
Rating: 7.6/10
PIR: 8.1/10

The Tree of Life: 8/10

So, I finally got around to seeing 'The Tree of Life'. I must admit, I was quite impressed with the film. I've only seen Terrence Malick's 'The New World', so I understood what I was in for; silent scenes with beautiful settings along with a lack of dialog. While that wasn't a negative expectation, the film still amazed me with its Visual Effects and Score.

The Devils 1971.

Couldn't find one descent copy of this movie but thumbs up for bravery and performances (both Redgrave and Reed).

****/5