What was the last movie you've watched? II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Michael the Brave (1971) - 9.1/10.

A remarkable piece of filmmaking. One of the best foreign films ever made.

PS: IF you think what Kubrick did with Spartacus... well look at this film.. it's simple ownage.

Erik wrote:I don't get the main character.
Is he a buisness man or a family man? Is he a hard-ass or nice man? Is he a good father, or does he hit his child?

Also, I did not get that kid.
Is he a nice kid? Why did he set his house on fire?

There is just no explaination for the actions of characters in this movie.

The story was good just like the acting, but I'd say that the script is only half of what it could have been.
Well that is what's wonderful about that film. The contradictions in it are nailed perfectly and reflect reality no matter the period of time.
Last edited by RIFA on April 23rd, 2011, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Is he a buisness man or a family man? Is he a hard-ass or nice man? Is he a good father, or does he hit his child?

The story was good just like the acting, but I'd say that the script is only half of what it could have been.
it was exactly my reaction when I saw it the first time

but then i saw it 2nd and 3rd and 4th and so on - and it became more clear
but I will not explain it - everyone perceives these things according to their own background - that's what makes this film such a diamond (and, of course, DDL's performance)

He's not a family man, he's not a nice man, he's not a good father or a father at all. He himself said he hates most people and doesn't want them to succeed. Everything else is just his appropriate use of 'tools' (etiquette) to get what he wants. I can't imagine how you could sit through that movie, especially the ending, and still wonder if he's a nice man.

The kid set Daniel's brother's bed on fire because he read his diary and found out that the brother is a fake. He couldn't speak and was emotionally disturbed and unstable so he picked a weird way to show that. And yes he's a nice kid.

There's an explanation for everything.

prince0gotham wrote:

He's not a family man, he's not a nice man, he's not a good father or a father at all. He himself said he hates most people and doesn't want them to succeed. Everything else is just his appropriate use of 'tools' (etiquette) to get what he wants. I can't imagine how you could sit through that movie, especially the ending, and still wonder if he's a nice man.

The kid set Daniel's brother's bed on fire because he read his diary and found out that the brother is a fake. He couldn't speak and was emotionally disturbed and unstable so he picked a weird way to show that. And yes he's a nice kid.

There's an explanation for everything.
oh no you spoiled it :lol:

I didn't spoil it. He's already seen it.

The script is perfect and the movie as well. After 7 views I still can't see anything that I can complain about. The misconception that the movie doesn't give answers is.. well... a misconception. It's not of those cases of movies where the movie just forgets about stuff and doesn't give answers. They're there and I'm not talking only about the metaphor which is...

The things you were confused about were explained. I'm not sure why you didn't ask about Paul and Eli and whether they were twins or whether Paul was part of Eli's con. As a matter of fact they were twins. They've casted another actor to play Paul, but things went crazy, he got away and they were left with just Dano. Then they changed the script and added Plainviews reaction when he sees Eli and that's it. But a lot of people were wondering like me back then.

Princess Mononoke - 8,4/10

A SINGLE MAN

THE KING'S SPEECH

Trancers (1985) Cheesy as hell, a solid 5/10 :lol:

Couldn't have said it better myself Prince.

Apollo 13 (1995) - 8.4/10.