Cosmopolis (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

I'm reading the book right now. It's kind of stupid and the author's writing style is very pretentious. I'll still read half of it today in school since I have nothing better to do.

akv1984 wrote:I'm reading the book right now. It's kind of stupid and the author's writing style is very pretentious. I'll still read half of it today in school since I have nothing better to do.
Ooh. That doesn't bode well for the movie.

07202012 wrote:
akv1984 wrote:I'm reading the book right now. It's kind of stupid and the author's writing style is very pretentious. I'll still read half of it today in school since I have nothing better to do.
I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to reading books so don't take me too seriously. I'm on page 40 right now and already the author is trying too hard to put in a shitload of symbolism and he has a lot of, how do I put this, abstract dialogue. So while reading the book the subject of the conversation will just automatically change and the main character's thoughts will just wander. Some of the dialogue is really stupid (at one point the main character Eric asks why we have aiports :facepalm: ) and just overall dull and pretentious.

The author tries too hard to sound profound, philosophical, and he's trying way too hard to make the book be about existentialism.

I hope it gets better as I go along.

It does seem pretty pretentious.

BUT NIN's song choice is awesome

07202012 wrote:

I don't think that really means anything for the movie, the concept seems simple but pretty cool and really its going to be Cronenberg's take on the the book, so if the author's writing is pretentious in the book it may not necessarily translate to the film.

I haven't read Cosmopolis (apparently it's not too special), DeLillo's supposed to be an icon though.
Do you... like pineapple?

Wikipedia:
Reviews for Cosmopolis were generally mixed to negative, especially compared to many of DeLillo's previous novels. While Peter Wolfe of the StlToday.com called the book "eerily brilliant" and that it "confirms Don DeLillo's place among [the best writers] elite", other reviewers weren't as enthusiastic. John Updike wrote in The New Yorker that while "DeLillo’s fervent intelligence and his fastidious, edgy prose... weave halos of import around every event", that "The trouble with a tale where anything can happen is that somehow nothing happens."

Several reviewers praised DeLillo's style, including David Kipen of the San Francisco Chronicle who wrote "DeLillo continues to think about the modern world in language and images as quizzically beautiful as any writer now going". Kipen otherwise panned the novel. Jessica Slater of the Rocky Mountain News also liked the prose but was overall dissatisfied, writing "His style, as always, is unique and insightful, but for all he packs into that one day in April, he fails to show us anything we haven't seen before."
We can hope that Cronenberg has ironed out the flaws while adapting the novel.

I agree. I stopped after page 20 something. I was like... really? What is this? I had a 'Who Cares about this character" moment.

This one works:

I'm kind of getting sick of the book. It's a fast read, but that's only because the type is so big. I'll just slowly read it from now on since I have a habit of finishing every book I start no matter how boring or awful it is.