Anna Karenina (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
mchekhov wrote:This film is easily number one contender for Best pic. Leo Tolstoy is universally considered the best writer to have ever lived. So the material they are dealing with is already do incredible, dealing with a range of topics like philosophy, life, death, religion, social constrictions, and much more.

But the most exciting thing about this film is its innovative use of theatrical means and what would be considered surrealism for film. This could possibly change cinema as it encourages more acceptance and desire for theatricality. And I couldn't be any more excited about that
He's a titan, for sure, and is widely considered to be the best novelist ever, but you're acting like Shakespeare, Dante, Homer, etc. never existed. Tolstoy is in their company, not clearly above them.

KEIRA KNIGHTELY in a Tolstoy tizzy, wants nothing to do with GRETA GARBO! Knightley refuses to rewatch ANY prior film adaptations of Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy’s “Anna Karenina” for fears she might be influenced by other actresses enacting the doomed beauty.

RIFA wrote:
KEIRA KNIGHTELY in a Tolstoy tizzy, wants nothing to do with GRETA GARBO! Knightley refuses to rewatch ANY prior film adaptations of Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy’s “Anna Karenina” for fears she might be influenced by other actresses enacting the doomed beauty.

ok

RIFA wrote:
Good for her.

RIFA wrote:Image
Damn, I just couldn't recognise Jude Law at all. Now that's transformation. :clap:

oracle86 wrote:
RIFA wrote:Image
Damn, I just couldn't recognise Jude Law at all. Now that's transformation. :clap:

That's Jude Law? Wow.
Do you... like pineapple?

Tourmie wrote:It's been screened:

https://twitter.com/#!/andy_headspace
Apparently Matthew Macfadyen aka Oblonsky stole the show.
Mixture of film, theatre, art, fashion, history...brilliantly told!
Nice to hear. I might catch Tolstoj, it's been looong time.

I asked the guy about the theatrical aspect, as it was the one i was most interested in and looking forward to being implemented in more movies
It is so hard to describe, but it works brilliantly. It's surprisingly unstaged and fluid. It's kind of genius actually.