Your Favorite David Lynch Film

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

What's your favorite Lynch film?

Eraserhead(1977)
7%
The Elephant Man(1980)
23%
Dune(1984)
No votes
Blue Velvet(1986)
No votes
Wild at Heart(1990)
No votes
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me(1992)
3%
Lost Highway(1997)
7%
Mulholland Dr.(2001)
60%
Rabbits(2002)
No votes
Inland Empire(2006)
No votes

Total votes: 30

I just watched Muholland Drive last night. I've seen Elephant Man, Eraserhead and Blue Velvet.

I was very much enjoying Muholland Drive up until a point. But overall I didn't like it. I can see that David Lynch is a good filmmaker but I just don't get his films. I've tried but I don't. And this guy is so highly revered, I feel as if I'm missing out on some inside joke. His movies actually give me nightmares.

I will continue to watch the ones I haven't seen out of curiosity. I respect him but he's not my cup of tea.

Don't think I've seen this thread before.

Mulholland Dr.

anonymity wrote:His movies actually give me nightmares.
Sometimes when I look back on some nightmares I've had, I think I'd say they were inspired in the same vein.
He's one of those few filmmakers who can actually scare me, unnerve me, disturb me. There were some parts in Twin Peaks where I was freaking out quite badly inside my head- unable to look away but still trying to fulfil the urge of looking around the room, behind me etc.

Have you seen his short film, 'The Alphabet'? I find part of it terrifying, really gets under my skin.

I had the misfortune of first watching it on a late night in my room, no lights, just before sleeping. Since I'm in the same position right now, I don't believe I'll watch it.
And I don't think you'll see me write so passionately/emotionally (in a free manner) about many other directors but I feel it is like this bizarre unfed spirit that I can only exorcise by talking about it.
Do you... like pineapple?

Never saw this thread before but since I been watching a lot of Lynch lately I wanted to post here

1. Mulholland Drive
2. Lost Highway
3. Inland Empire
4. Blue Velvet

Only ones I've seen so fa but I will be seeing more very soon. Maybe even tonight

ComptonTerry wrote:Never saw this thread before but since I been watching a lot of Lynch lately I wanted to post here

1. Mulholland Drive
2. Lost Highway
3. Inland Empire
4. Blue Velvet

Only ones I've seen so fa but I will be seeing more very soon. Maybe even tonight
I've never seen Blue Velvet ranked so low before. What makes it ranked lower for you?

btw, I did a pretty thorough analysis for that on my site if you're curious

http://themetaplex.com/reviews/blue-vel ... d-analysis

-Vader

His best film is probably Mulholland Dr. but my favourite Lynch is Twin Peaks. One of the best TV shows ever.

Panapaok wrote:His best film is probably Mulholland Dr. but my favourite Lynch is Twin Peaks. One of the best TV shows ever.
The Elephant Man for me. For personal reasons. It tears me up every single time. I also believe it to be the one film that proves just how masterful the guy is. Sure it has it's Lynchian elements but it's a far cry from most of his other work. It shows how capable he is of making just about whatever type of film you could think of.

Yeah, The Elephant Man is pretty great too. Hurt and Hopkins are magnificent.

Vader182 wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:Never saw this thread before but since I been watching a lot of Lynch lately I wanted to post here

1. Mulholland Drive
2. Lost Highway
3. Inland Empire
4. Blue Velvet

I've never seen Blue Velvet ranked so low before. What makes it ranked lower for you?

btw, I did a pretty thorough analysis for that on my site if you're curious

http://themetaplex.com/reviews/blue-vel ... d-analysis

-Vader

Well it's been close to 2 years since I saw it, and Ive been saying I'm going to give it another chance ever since but I finally really am going to before this week is over. By Sunday, most likely tomorrow. I've been watching lots of Lynch lately and Ive made rewatching it my next project. I also know that Mark Kermode hated it and then saw it again and loved it so I'm some what optimistic.

Its hard to remember exactly what I didn't like about it at this point but I think just struggled overall to find any meaning with it. It was the second Lynch thing I saw too after MD and I think I was maybe expecting something a little more layered an intricate after having only seen that and was disappointed. Oh and I remember finding the acting, besides Hooper, being laughably bad I guess. I'll tell you more before the week is over though, I promise to finally watch it again by the end of the week. And I will save that link you posted but I would rather read it after seeing it again.
Last edited by ComptonTerry on September 18th, 2014, 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1. Mulholland Drive/ Blue Velvet
2. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
3. Eraserhead
4. Lost Highway
5. Inland Empire
6. Dune

I love all of them to death except Dune. I fucking hated Dune. I don't know if I could ever sit through it again.

I still need to see Wild At Heart(Which I just got on Bluray), Elephant Man, and The Straight Story. And I agree that Twin Peaks is the best thing Lynch has ever been involved with.
ComptonTerry wrote:Well it's been close to 2 years since I saw it, and Ive been saying I'm going to give it another chance ever since but I finally really am going to before this week is over. By Sunday, it most likely tomorrow. I've been watching lots of Lynch lately andive made rewatching it my next project. I also know that Mark Kermode hated it and then saw it again and loved it so I'm somewha optimistic.

Its hard to remember exactly what I didn't like about it at this point but I think just struggled overall to find any meaning with it. It was the second Lynch thing I saw too after MD and I think I was maybe expecting something a little more layered an intricate after having only seen that and was disappointed. Oh and I remember finding the acting besides Hooper being laughably bad I guess. I'll tell you more before the week is over though, I promise to finally watch it again by the end of the week. And I will save that link you posted but I would rather watch it after seeing it again.
I'd say watch re-watch Blue Velvet again after you've seen Twin Peaks. That's what I had to do to make me understand what Lynch was going for. Another thing, and I'm not saying this applies to you, but after a lot of people see MD and LH, they think a movie like Blue Velvet is going to be totally strange and incoherent, when it's really more straightforward. I was expecting something like MD the first time I saw it, hence why I was disappointed.

Eraserhead (1977) is easily in my Top 10 ever.