Pacific Rim (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
DreamPolice wrote:Japanese Poster made by artist Yoji Shinikawa (aka dude who makes artwork for Metal Gear Solid).
Damn that's cool.

Just saw the film.
I think I made have made the mistake of taking the film seriously. It's an easy mistake to make as well since the tone of the film feels inconsistent at times.
The film is cheesy and predictable, and it doesn't really offer anything fresh or new, HOWEVER, once you understand and accept the mood and tone that Del Toro was aiming for, you're able to look beyond that and just have fun. So basically, once you are able to get the gist of the film, you should be fine.

Pacific Rim is visually stunning (the cinematography was excellent, and I especially liked the way the action sequences were shot because you can really appreciate the scope of the film), and it is entertaining as hell.

Oh, and, I was expecting more heart and character development, but unfortunately, I felt that the film was lacking in that department.

8.6/10

EDIT: Shit, one more thing I'd like to acknowledge is that Charlie Day isn't annoying, and Ron Perlman and Idris Elba are fucking awesome.
There's also a strange after credits scene.
EDIT 2: Sorry if this is a bit messy, I'm just putting down my thoughts without really organizing em.

07202012 wrote: 8.6/10
one thing for sure, I want more day time battle (maybe its the projector problem in the hall that i watched, but the battle scene is a bit too dark, still awesome though)

8/10 for me
i liked the attacking move of the Chinese Jaeger though :)

07202012 wrote:Just saw the film.
I think I made have made the mistake of taking the film seriously. It's an easy mistake to make as well since the tone of the film feels inconsistent at times.
The film is cheesy and predictable, and it doesn't really offer anything fresh or new, HOWEVER, once you understand and accept the mood and tone that Del Toro was aiming for, you're able to look beyond that and just have fun. So basically, once you are able to get the gist of the film, you should be fine.

Pacific Rim is visually stunning (the cinematography was excellent, and I especially liked the way the action sequences were shot because you can really appreciate the scope of the film), and it is entertaining as hell.

Oh, and, I was expecting more heart and character development, but unfortunately, I felt that the film was lacking in that department.

8.6/10

EDIT: Shit, one more thing I'd like to acknowledge is that Charlie Day isn't annoying, and Ron Perlman and Idris Elba are fucking awesome.
There's also a strange after credits scene.
EDIT 2: Sorry if this is a bit messy, I'm just putting down my thoughts without really organizing em.
How'd you see this early, I thought it was being released later tonight at 10pm in the U.S.?

Gah, so jealous of my friend right now!

How was Rinko Kikuchi?

I'm looking forward to seeing Pacific Rim because of del Toro's pedigree, the cast, and the good reviews, yet it's interesting to see how after 30 reviews, this film sat at over 80% and an average rating of 8/10. Now it's down to 71% and a 6.8/10 rating. Crazy fluctuation, not that it matters because I'm seeing it tomorrow regardless, but just pointing out the recent critical developments.

Skyab23 wrote: How'd you see this early, I thought it was being released later tonight at 10pm in the U.S.?
I'm out of the country. It's SUMMERR.

Also one thing I'd like to add is that Djawadi's score is great in this film. Man that theme has been stuck in my head the entire day.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:RT consensus is in!
A terrific modern creature feature, Pacific Rim is bolstered by fantastical imagery and an irresistible sense of fun.
Lol they changed terrific to solid on the consensus.

With the fluctuation of the PR rating in Rotten, here's a thought: It's impressive that there hasn't been any blockbuster movie with a rating above the 90% in RT, and only two movies with a up-to-80% (This is The End and Star Trek).
Last edited by Atlas Retreat on July 11th, 2013, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.