84th Academy Awards: 2012

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
NoMoreExposition wrote:Drive should have been nominated and won best picture.
batmotor
LOL I have a feeling it's someone else. ;)
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Teslashelby wrote:Give it a few years and The Artist will be forgotten whereas Tinker Tailor will be revered for decades to come.

No offence, but that simply won't happen. It's a good movie but nothing too outstanding, and it hasn't even got much attention now (compared to other recent movies), how should it have some in a few decades?

redfan wrote:
Teslashelby wrote:Give it a few years and The Artist will be forgotten whereas Tinker Tailor will be revered for decades to come.

No offence, but that simply won't happen. It's a good movie but nothing too outstanding, and it hasn't even got much attention now (compared to other recent movies), how should it have some in a few decades?
You'll be surprised, it might not have got raves so much in the states but in the UK it was one of the most critically acclaimed films of last year, it's got legs mark my words, it's already a classic and it's fans are just going to grow.

The box office was very respectable in the UK and it's widely recognised as Oldman's best performance and if he gets a chance to revisit it will not be forgotten, think The Conversation or All The Presidents Men yes we are talking that kind of longevity I pretty much think it's definite. I'm afraid it is outstanding.

All 4 films below you are showing don't hold a candle to it. Very safe choices.
Last edited by Teslashelby on February 27th, 2012, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teslashelby wrote:Give it a few years and The Artist will be forgotten whereas Tinker Tailor will be revered for decades to come, Its a novelty film with a bloke looking charming (not acting ) and winning a best actor award.
You're wrong. While I did enjoy Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, it was very slow-paced and quiet in some scenes. The Artist will be remembered for it's nostalgia and return to Silent Films.

BlairCo wrote:
Teslashelby wrote:Give it a few years and The Artist will be forgotten whereas Tinker Tailor will be revered for decades to come, Its a novelty film with a bloke looking charming (not acting ) and winning a best actor award.
You're wrong. While I did enjoy Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, it was very slow-paced and quiet in some scenes. The Artist will be remembered for it's nostalgia and return to Silent Films.
Bollocks it is a novelty film.

Teslashelby wrote: You'll be surprised, it might not have got raves so much in the states but in the UK it was one of the most critically acclaimed films of last year, it's got legs mark my words, it's already a classic and it's fans are just going to grow.
Than that's a UK thing, and I wasn't aware of it. It hasn't got much recognition here. Not more like, let's say, The Descendants.
All 4 films below you are showing don't hold a candle to it. Very safe choices.
They're no choices but my favourites of 2011 and were never intended to provoke any kind of competition with TTSS :)
I say, we'll let time tell. The Artist and Hugo have timeless themes ... TTSS is a Cold War spy movie. Let's see how many people still care for the Cold War in some decades.

Cilogy wrote:
Allstar wrote: batmotor
LOL I have a feeling it's someone else. ;)
You are right! Nolan4life get lost!

Teslashelby wrote:Give it a few years and The Artist will be forgotten whereas Tinker Tailor will be forgotten even sooner.
Fixed.

Mantwiss wrote:
Teslashelby wrote:Give it a few years and The Artist will be forgotten whereas Tinker Tailor will be forgotten even sooner.
Fixed.
:lol: :clap:

Mantwiss wrote:
Fixed.
Yeah your hilarious mate, Huge box office does not equate to longevity I'm sure the Transformer franchise will prove that. Just because it doesn't appeal to a bunch dumb ass multi- plexers doesn't mean it will not endure.

The calibre of the cast will make sure this lives on, Glengarry Glen Ross was no lucrative success but that film will live on because of the quality of the writing and the cast, having said that maybe the pace of that might be a little slow for you.

Of course a plot taking it's time to develop and watching great actors tell the story must be a big ask from you and others, to think this is a Nolan fan site I'm sure Chris would agree that Tinker is a masterful film, it's the kind of thing I could see him attempting when he's older and has stretched the blockbuster medium as far as he thinks it can go.

I guess you can carry on watching the I love My Horse and That Charming French Bloke in B/W and thinking these films will fondly remembered but I guarantee you they won't, nostalgia will not endure, anyway what's wrong with watching City Lights rather than some smaltzy gimmick thinking it's clever to resurrect a format that has been obsolete for decades?

More than half the people calling it a masterpiece have probably never even watched a proper silent film and are patting themselves on the back because they think they are sophisticated.