84th Academy Awards: 2012

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Fran wrote:Lol at The Artist winning Best Picture

Filmmaking has taken a step backwards.
I'd say it's more like nostalgia not a step backwards.

The Artist was actually people's favorite to win this thing. It was a great movie. It was the 2nd best movie in 2011 imo. I see nothing wrong with The Artist winning.

Now imagine if Hugo won.... :|

Mantwiss wrote:

Filmmaking has taken a step backwards.
A silent film winning in 2012 quantifies a step backwards.

Fran wrote:
Mantwiss wrote:
You clearly haven't seen The Artist. Among those other nominees it's a nice choice, better than Hugo or any other of those nine.

Fran wrote:A silent film winning in 2012 quantifies a step backwards.
Not sure if serious.

Fran wrote:
Mantwiss wrote:
I don't think so, I mean, how many popular movies released within the last few decades are like The Artist? I'm not saying that to make The Artist some massive achievement of filmmaking, but I'm just saying that it's not really a step backward.

2011 was a weak year anyway, not many strong performances or productions, so nostalgia played a huge role here.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

2011 was such a weak year to me, none of the Oscar winners this year mean anything to me. When Scorsese got his Oscar for The Departed it meant something, when No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood went head to head with NCFOM coming out on top it meant something. This year I just didn't care what won, none of the films nominated meant anything to me except The Tree of Life.

The Artists was a beautiful film. 2nd Best Picture of the Year (behind Drive).

It was an unexpected roller-coaster of emotion. Charming, sad, nostalgic...it deserved every award it received.

christophmac wrote:2011 was such a weak year to me, none of the Oscar winners this year mean anything to me. When Scorsese got his Oscar for The Departed it meant something, when No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood went head to head with NCFOM coming out on top it meant something. This year I just didn't care what won, none of the films nominated meant anything to me except The Tree of Life.
But if you look beyond Oscars? DRIVE, TGWTDT, Take Shelter, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Super 8, Attack the Block, Shame... Plenty of great movies. Plus I really liked: The Help, The Artist, Hugo, The Tree Of Life.

EPIC