Any recommendations? Need a favor.

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm undergoing some ...eye issues to say the least. It's a long-winded explanation I won't bore you guys with (PM me though, if you're curious) but I basically can't read (things not on screens), or watch movies. Driving's a pain too. But the watch movies bit is the most drastic (heh, who needs school 8-) ) and affecting since I mean, cinema is basically the main drive of entertainment and enjoyment in my life outside of my girl/my mates and music.

However, older films don't affect me too much, along with anime/animation. So, here's what I ask,

Could you guys please list films from eh, maybe the mid 70's and earlier, that I may have missed? I've gotten almost all the main classics out of the way, but I thought I'd ask here.

It'd help me out immensely, as I'm not going to be able to watch a current film for another 4-6 months, meaning I'll likely miss all my hugely anticipated summer releases, as well as the midnight showings (midnight showings are practically my favorite thing to do).

Thanks!

-Vader

Well, I'm interested in seeing old movies too, but have you watched these??
Citizen Kane, Casablanca, 12 Angry Men, Paths of Glory, Vertigo, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Seven Samurai, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Sunset Blvd., Lawrence of Arabia, A Clockwork Orange, M, The Third Man, The Great Dictator, The Maltese Falcon, The Killing, etc.......

Well, these are all classic but it is 70's and earlier.

Why would you be able to watch older films but not newer films?

Really sucks about the situation you're in. Movies are kinda my life as well, I don't know what I'd do with-out them.

ThePhantomTerror wrote:Well, I'm interested in seeing old movies too, but have you watched these??
Citizen Kane, Casablanca, 12 Angry Men, Paths of Glory, Vertigo, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Seven Samurai, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Sunset Blvd., Lawrence of Arabia, A Clockwork Orange, M, The Third Man, The Great Dictator, The Maltese Falcon, The Killing, etc.......

Well, these are all classic but it is 70's and earlier.
Haha, sorry, I've seen every one of those except Sunset Belvd and The Great Dictator, but I'll check those two out. I appreciate the amount of noir, though, :D
Crazy Eight wrote:Why would you be able to watch older films but not newer films?

Really sucks about the situation you're in. Movies are kinda my life as well, I don't know what I'd do with-out them.
Older films don't enflame my symptoms as much given the type of condition I have. Never ones, particularly ones after the mid 70's for some reason, (especially modern ones) enflame my symptoms dramatically. It sucks, and makes school a pain in the ass.

You need to be a little more specific in what you're looking for. There is so much to choose from, so if you narrow down some of your preferential genres or films you like, I'm sure we can find some gems for ya. Kind of pointless to recommend Tarkovsky or Bergman films if you have a short attention span. I mean if you like Sofia Coppola you would love François Truffauts amazing Les Quatre Cents Coups and Jules et Jim (both visually and thematically some of the most beautiful films ever made) if you like David Lynch you would love Berman's Wild Strawberries, if you like Tim Burton you would love Wiene's Dr. caligari or Murnau's Nosferatu and so forth.

And good luck healing your eyeballs ;)
@sammyjankis88

Robin wrote:You need to be a little more specific in what you're looking for. There is so much to choose from, so if you narrow down some of your preferential genres or films you like, I'm sure we can find some gems for ya. Kind of pointless to recommend Tarkovsky or Bergman films if you have a short attention span. I mean if you like Sofia Coppola you would love François Truffauts amazing Les Quatre Cents Coups and Jules et Jim (both visually and thematically some of the most beautiful films ever made) if you like David Lynch you would love Berman's Wild Strawberries, if you like Tim Burton you would love Wiene's Dr. caligari or Murnau's Nosferatu and so forth.

And good luck healing your eyeballs ;)
Haha, literally anything is fair game. I've seen some Bergman, mostly fine them bizarre and strange, but worth watching.

Literally anything that comes to mind! I really should see Solaris though. And 8 1/2.

Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966)

The bad and the beautiful (1952)
Top Hat
All about Eve
The seventh seal

North by Northwest (1959)

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

Rear Window (1954)

Psycho (1960)

The Third Man (1949)

Double Indemnity (1944)

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

I'm not sure if you would like these movies or not but to me these are some of the best I've ever seen.

Rio Bravo (1959).........................................Howard Hawks
The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948)................John Huston
Stalker (1979)............................................Andrei Tarkovsky
Touch of Evil (1958).....................................Orson Welles
Rebecca (1940)...........................................Alfred Hitchcock
Modern Times (1936)...................................Charlie Chaplin
Bicycle Thieves (1948).................................Vittorio De Sica
Umberto D. (1952)......................................Vittorio De Sica
Ace in the Hole (1951)..................................Billy Wilder
Stalag 17 (1953)..........................................Billy Wilder
The Battle of Algiers (1966)...........................Gillo Pontecorvo
The Lion in Winter (1968)..............................Anthony Harvey
Barry Lyndon (1975).....................................Stanley Kubrick
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)..........Hayao Miyazaki
Samurai (1967)...........................................Jean-Pierre Melville
Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)...........................I know most people don't like this version but I really enjoyed it.
..............................................................I don't know who the director was
Mission (1986)............................................Roland Joffe .£