Django Unchained (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:Saw this film again for the 2nd time today...

My rating remains unchanged. I give it a solid 8/10 perhaps an 8.5/10, with it ranking as one of my latter top 10 favorites of the 2012 year. My only qualms with the film is the pacing issues, particularly towards the end where I felt the climax came and then the movie extends itself another 20 minutes or so...also another instance I couldn't quite get over was...
why did Dr. Schultz practically guarantee his own death by deciding to shoot Calvin Candie? Certainly he would know that Candie's henchmen with a gun right behind him was going to blast him away. And I was never convinced that that was something that that character would have done anyway considering that he was a very successful and rational bounty hunter, who could have just left the plantation with Django and his wife in tow and then come back at some point in the future and snipe off Candie. It seemed almost as if Tarantino had to place this particular irrational move by the Dr. into the film in order to ensure that the audience would have its proper climax with Django returning to the plantation and killing everyone.
He was sickened by Candie and despised him, he also had a huge ego and did not want Candie to win, as he said..." Sorry, I couldn't resist."
Yeah I get all that and I remember them showing the scene of Dartanian getting eaten by dogs as if to reinforce that the Dr. couldn't stand Candie and wanted to kill him...but all he had to do was just walk away and come back at a later date and snipe Candie off, I mean, he is a bounty killer after all. They went all of this way and had all of that maturity and discipline and then it just all goes out the window, with the Dr. knowing very well that it was going to be the death of him.

Skyab23 wrote:
Allstar wrote:
He was sickened by Candie and despised him, he also had a huge ego and did not want Candie to win, as he said..." Sorry, I couldn't resist."
Yeah I get all that and I remember them showing the scene of Dartanian getting eaten by dogs as if to reinforce that the Dr. couldn't stand Candie and wanted to kill him...but all he had to do was just walk away and come back at a later date and snipe Candie off, I mean, he is a bounty killer after all. They went all of this way and had all of that maturity and discipline and then it just all goes out the window, with the Dr. knowing very well that it was going to be the death of him.
PRIDE
Sigs???

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:
PRIDE
& STUPIDITY.
The Dr. was a very educated and rational man, even telling Django to keep his cool and not overreact. The Dr. keeps his cool in all situations through the whole movie, and then, when Django has his wife, and they are about to walk out of the door, he decides to inexplicably lose his cool, shoot Candie (which he could hav done at a latter date and noone even see him do it, he's a professional killer) and then guarantee his own death. Just doesn't come across as rational, and the person I saw the film with tonight reaffirmed this as totally baffling.

Even rational people lose their cool. That just demonstrates exactly how despicable Candie really was
Sigs???

He did what he had to in the situation. He knew they wouldn't let them go alive so he decided to kill a purely evil man on the way out. Remember how much he was effected by the thought of the black man being ripped apart?
Brave New World

Skyab23 wrote:
TehBatGetsBraked wrote:
PRIDE
& STUPIDITY.
The Dr. was a very educated and rational man, even telling Django to keep his cool and not overreact. The Dr. keeps his cool in all situations through the whole movie, and then, when Django has his wife, and they are about to walk out of the door, he decides to inexplicably lose his cool, shoot Candie (which he could hav done at a latter date and noone even see him do it, he's a professional killer) and then guarantee his own death. Just doesn't come across as rational, and the person I saw the film with tonight reaffirmed this as totally baffling.
He made a decision in the heat of the moment, he wanted Candie to know that HE killed him and he wanted to do it in front of that audience because his ego would not allow him to do it any other way. Just because that is not what you would do, it does not mean it is not what Dr. King Schultz would do.
Last edited by Allstar on January 4th, 2013, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeah, also we don't know what Candie had up his dirty sleeve. Great manipulation of the audience, thinking Candue will pull something but then WAM
Sigs???

RyanRises wrote:
He did what he had to in the situation. He knew they wouldn't let them go alive so he decided to kill a purely evil man on the way out. Remember how much he was effected by the thought of the black man being ripped apart?
As bad as Calvin Candie was, he was also a businessman and I don't think he was going to kill the Dr. and his men and then be known as a murderer, in particular, a murderer of a contractor for the government in Dr. Schultz.

Skyab23 wrote:
RyanRises wrote:
As bad as Calvin Candie was, he was also a businessman and I don't think he was going to kill the Dr. and his men and then be known as a murderer, in particular, a murderer of a contractor for the government in Dr. Schultz.
Read my response.