Django Unchained (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Talli: "Even though Ledger does a great job in TDK, you can see in the reflection of the glass behind the Joker how the physicality of Bane (funneled through a time machine) overmatches Ledger's more primitive voice tricks. Bane's on a whole nother level of menace, and Hardy will win the Oscar because of it."

Talli: "Look at how Christoph Waltz moves his right quadricep in that still. He's able to convey with genius skill the stress his character's going under to the point of inducing involuntary muscular twitches. DiCaprio isn't capable of that!"

Tourmie wrote:Talli: "Even though Ledger does a great job in TDK, you can see in the reflection of the glass behind the Joker how the physicality of Bane (funneled through a time machine) overmatches Ledger's more primitive voice tricks. Bane's on a whole nother level of menace, and Hardy will win the Oscar because of it."

Talli: "Look at how Christoph Waltz moves his right quadricep in that still. He's able to convey with genius skill the stress his character's going under to the point of inducing involuntary muscular twitches. DiCaprio isn't capable of that!"

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/1162

mchekhov wrote:i hope he's right, cause you dont sense any of that from the trailers

the worst part to me, is that even in the frames where Candie is talking, Waltz seems to be stealing the show because he is constantly behaving, and its so detailed and nuanced

True, Waltz keeps the attention every time he appears onscreen, even when we should be focusing on DiCaprio.
Tourmie wrote:Talli: "Even though Ledger does a great job in TDK, you can see in the reflection of the glass behind the Joker how the physicality of Bane (funneled through a time machine) overmatches Ledger's more primitive voice tricks. Bane's on a whole nother level of menace, and Hardy will win the Oscar because of it."
Bane being better than Ledger's Joker? I have to disagree with that one. From waht I've seen in the trailers, Joker is WAY better than Hardy's Bane. They are not on the same level. They do not even play the same game.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

Waltz's character basically steals the entire movie to the point where if it were called 'Schultz' it'd be an accurate title.

SilverHeart wrote:Waltz's character basically steals the entire movie to the point where if it were called 'Schultz' it'd be an accurate title.

I think it comes down to the approach. Dicaprio's the type of actor who has to be captivated by the emotional complexity of a character to ignite his instrument, and Waltz has to capture the kernel of the character contained in the dialogue. In the latter, it's much easier to play, magnify, improvise, create nuances and new moments once the essence is grasped.

Not just saying that because I am a fan of Leo and his work; I am saying it cause the character he plays in 'Django Unchained' is one of a kind. I have read the script twice, and focused on his character more than I did on Mr. Waltz's and Foxx's characters. Mainly, because Leo is spinning the negative role here, and based on what I have seen in the trailer, the character is perfectly charaterized and ardently presented from page to screen. So, come Oscar season, there will be buzz regarding Leo's performance. If not a win, an Oscar nomination atleast will be a subtle check mark from the Academy.

And as far as BANE is concerned, I don't want to go off topic here, but I disagree with Talli's statement. The Joker and Bane, or I should say, Hardy and Ledger both involved in characters that are different, so therefore comparing the two actors and their work is not reasonable. Ledger did his part and will remain alive as long as cinema is there, and Bane will do his part. I am sure he is going to impress us all no questions asked. If Hardy wins the Oscar, I will be happy for him as much as I am for him now. But, we all know that Leo is long due. I am sure Academy is looking forward to hand him that golden statue, it's like they are probably checking on him and his roles.

Rohan wrote:Not just saying that because I am a fan of Leo and his work; I am saying it cause the character he plays in 'Django Unchained' is one of a kind. I have read the script twice, and focused on his character more than I did on Mr. Waltz's and Foxx's characters. Mainly, because Leo is spinning the negative role here, and based on what I have seen in the trailer, the character is perfectly charaterized and ardently presented from page to screen. So, come Oscar season, there will be buzz regarding Leo's performance. If not a win, an Oscar nomination atleast will be a subtle check mark from the Academy.

And as far as BANE is concerned, I don't want to go off topic here, but I disagree with Talli's statement. The Joker and Bane, or I should say, Hardy and Ledger both involved in characters that are different, so therefore comparing the two actors and their work is not reasonable. Ledger did his part and will remain alive as long as cinema is there, and Bane will do his part. I am sure he is going to impress us all no questions asked. If Hardy wins the Oscar, I will be happy for him as much as I am for him now. But, we all know that Leo is long due. I am sure Academy is looking forward to hand him that golden statue, it's like they are probably checking on him and his roles.
:lol: Talli didn't say that, though he probably thinks it. I just made up something that sounds Talli-appropriate.

Rohan wrote:And as far as BANE is concerned, I don't want to go off topic here, but I disagree with Talli's statement. The Joker and Bane, or I should say, Hardy and Ledger both involved in characters that are different, so therefore comparing the two actors and their work is not reasonable. Ledger did his part and will remain alive as long as cinema is there, and Bane will do his part. I am sure he is going to impress us all no questions asked. If Hardy wins the Oscar, I will be happy for him as much as I am for him now. But, we all know that Leo is long due. I am sure Academy is looking forward to hand him that golden statue, it's like they are probably checking on him and his roles.
I agree. Besides, I don't think Hardy is gonna win this one. DiCaprio and Waltz are my personal bets and too hard competition.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

didich wrote:
Rohan wrote:And as far as BANE is concerned, I don't want to go off topic here, but I disagree with Talli's statement. The Joker and Bane, or I should say, Hardy and Ledger both involved in characters that are different, so therefore comparing the two actors and their work is not reasonable. Ledger did his part and will remain alive as long as cinema is there, and Bane will do his part. I am sure he is going to impress us all no questions asked. If Hardy wins the Oscar, I will be happy for him as much as I am for him now. But, we all know that Leo is long due. I am sure Academy is looking forward to hand him that golden statue, it's like they are probably checking on him and his roles.
I agree. Besides, I don't think Hardy is gonna win this one. DiCaprio and Waltz are my personal bets and too hard competition.
The competition is going to be tough this year without a doubt. We have Bardem in Skyfall and small indie films that shows up with great performances each year from nowhere. But, based on what I have read in the script, putting aside rest of the characters in the story, Leo's character is like putting a 'period' with a red ink. Leaves one with no other choice but to root for him.

Rohan wrote:
didich wrote:
The competition is going to be tough this year without a doubt. We have Bardem in Skyfall and small indie films that shows up with great performances each year from nowhere. But, based on what I have read in the script, putting aside rest of the characters in the story, Leo's character is like putting a 'period' with a red ink. Leaves one with no other choice but to root for him.
i never said any of those things by the way....just some guys failed attempt at humor (obviously failed, since none of you realized he was joking)

I think Leo's chances are really slimmed down by the presence of Waltz, who has more screen time and more dialogue to chew the scenery up with....especially when most of his scenes are with Jamie Foxx, who looks pretty bland...its going to be very easy for him to steal the spotlight for the majority of the movie and make a very strong impression because he's acting opposite of Foxx

voters are less likely to nominate 2 actors from the same film (although sometimes this happens)

then you have Hardy for TDKR, Hardy for Lawless, Jude Law for Anna Karenina, Hugh Jackman for Les Mis, Hoffman for The Master