Django Unchained (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
It'll be interesting to see where this ranks in my fav QT films, even after reading the script I'm still not sure. Some stuff in the script is just brilliant, while other stuff comes off a little hokey and I'll have to see how it plays out on the screen (this is the first QT script I've read before seeing the movie, so no frame of reference when it comes to script-to-script analysis).

On any day of the week, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Inglourious Basterds are my favorite. Death Proof is easily my least favorite (though I still enjoy huge chunks of it). Jackie Brown and Kill Bill are pretty much neck and neck, both have their pros and cons, and my opinions of each probably change more than any of the other films in his filmography.

I suspect Django will be join the top three for the following reasons: 1.) The western is absolutely my favorite genre, 2.) loved the nontraditional take on the genre, 3.) the cast/characters are awesome, and 4.) the idea of QT finally tackling a genre he has promised and hinted at for over a decade.

And a question for everyone out there: what do you think the film's Oscar chance will be next year? I don't mean what you want or think the film should get. Obviously this is all gonna depend on the final product, but I think its interesting to think about considering the Oscars this past weekend. When you look at this year's nominees, they are all lighthearted, nostalgic films (The Artist, Hugo, Midnight in Paris). Even the more controversial topic films (The Help and Extremely Loud) were presented in a pretty tame light. You could argue that Basterds was controversial and still got recognized, but if you look at its fellow nominees (Hurt Locker, Precious, etc.), they're all dark in their own way. In comparison, Basterds probably felt more like a comedy. Now, its hard to predict the way the Academy thinks, they could very well go back to their dark days. And considering the current speculated leader is Spielberg's Lincoln, Django could very easily fit in.

Syncopy54 wrote:It'll be interesting to see where this ranks in my fav QT films, even after reading the script I'm still not sure. Some stuff in the script is just brilliant, while other stuff comes off a little hokey and I'll have to see how it plays out on the screen (this is the first QT script I've read before seeing the movie, so no frame of reference when it comes to script-to-script analysis).

On any day of the week, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Inglourious Basterds are my favorite. Death Proof is easily my least favorite (though I still enjoy huge chunks of it). Jackie Brown and Kill Bill are pretty much neck and neck, both have their pros and cons, and my opinions of each probably change more than any of the other films in his filmography.

I suspect Django will be join the top three for the following reasons: 1.) The western is absolutely my favorite genre, 2.) loved the nontraditional take on the genre, 3.) the cast/characters are awesome, and 4.) the idea of QT finally tackling a genre he has promised and hinted at for over a decade.

And a question for everyone out there: what do you think the film's Oscar chance will be next year? I don't mean what you want or think the film should get. Obviously this is all gonna depend on the final product, but I think its interesting to think about considering the Oscars this past weekend. When you look at this year's nominees, they are all lighthearted, nostalgic films (The Artist, Hugo, Midnight in Paris). Even the more controversial topic films (The Help and Extremely Loud) were presented in a pretty tame light. You could argue that Basterds was controversial and still got recognized, but if you look at its fellow nominees (Hurt Locker, Precious, etc.), they're all dark in their own way. In comparison, Basterds probably felt more like a comedy. Now, its hard to predict the way the Academy thinks, they could very well go back to their dark days. And considering the current speculated leader is Spielberg's Lincoln, Django could very easily fit in.
Hmmm...I think you're right about Lincoln being the leader: Best Picture, Best Director (Spielberg) and Best Actor (Day-Lewis) are frontrunners in my opinion
But I have high hopes on the Best Supporting Role, i've read the script and DiCaprio & Waltz have incredible characters and I predict a Oscar for Leo.
Also, not my type of film, but let's not forget Tom Hooper's les Misérables who does have a incredible cast.

Allstar wrote:
Principal photography will take place in New Orleans, Louisiana through April 27, 2012.

"Django Unchained" has an unbelievably impressive cast that includes three-time Academy Award nominee Leonardo DiCaprio; Academy Award winner Jamie Foxx; Golden Globe nominee Kurt Russell; two-time Golden Globe nominee Joseph Gordon-Levitt; Academy Award winner Christoph Waltz; Academy Award nominee Samuel L. Jackson; Image Award winner Kerry Washington; Golden Globe nominee Dennis Christopher; Golden Globe winner Don Johnson; Golden Globe winner Anthony LaPaglia; and many others.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Open casting call for Leonardo DiCaprio film 'Django Unchained' in Louisiana - Los Angeles Acting Auditions | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/acting-audition ... z1ne5iBCPa
Aww Leo...then he'll probably win Best Supporting for Django. Always the bridesmaid and never the bride. :lol:

Sammy Jackson has confirmed he is on set in NOLA via twitter. That confirms that the pictures I posted are indeed Candy Land.. I later realized it was a slim possibility that it could of been Big Daddy's mansion however this update from Samuel L. confirms it is indeed Candy Land.

Anybody think that there wont be a supporting nominee because Dicaprio and waltz will split the votes

mchekhov wrote:Anybody think that there wont be a supporting nominee because Dicaprio and waltz will split the votes
People will be too blown away by DiCaprio... with that said Waltz will be genius.

Allstar wrote:
mchekhov wrote:Anybody think that there wont be a supporting nominee because Dicaprio and waltz will split the votes
People will be too blown away by DiCaprio... with that said Waltz will be genius.

Lol so quick to jump the gun. What are you gonna do if Leo brings the same squinty eyed acting with the same vocal cadence and physicality that he is easily identified for? I think Waltz has a bigger chance of a shining

mchekhov wrote:
Allstar wrote: People will be too blown away by DiCaprio... with that said Waltz will be genius.

Lol so quick to jump the gun. What are you gonna do if Leo brings the same squinty eyed acting with the same vocal cadence and physicality that he is easily identified for? I think Waltz has a bigger chance of a shining
I know what you're talking about, but he could bring an even crazier post-Blood Diamond post-Revolutionary Road kind of intensity to the character (I haven't read the script).

Tourmie wrote:
mchekhov wrote:

I know what you're talking about, but he could bring an even crazier post-Blood Diamond post-Revolutionary Road kind of intensity to the character (I haven't read the script).

Intensity is nothing without interesting form, which is what Leo's usual is. What would the joker be without all the physicality and means of expressions that Heath imbued him with. Those details are infinitely more interesting and captivating than the fact that he's a psychopath

mchekhov wrote:
Tourmie wrote:

Intensity is nothing without interesting form, which is what Leo's usual is. What would the joker be without all the physicality and means of expressions that Heath imbued him with. Those details are infinitely more interesting and captivating than the fact that he's a psychopath
Well, pardon me, but I think Leo's acting in those two films extraordinary in every sense, "interesting form" included. Those criticisms of Leo seem more applicable to him in Inception, Shutter Island, or Gangs of New York (none of which supplied him with the kind of role and dialogue amenable to an acting showcase, though each film was good).