Doctor Who (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BBC America is re-showing all the episodes in a marathon and it's revamped my love for this show. Capaldi and Tennant are so good and I finally caught up with Capaldi's episodes.

I'm excited as well. My only real concern is the number of companions they're immediately introducing. Hoping they have room to grow.

I am, but her accent is going to take a LOT of getting used to. She was on Graham Norton last night and the entire panel (and I think Graham) had no idea what she was saying at points.

Also RT for TV isn't really a good indicator lol

Bacon wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 1:01 pm
I am, but her accent is going to take a LOT of getting used to. She was on Graham Norton last night and the entire panel (and I think Graham) had no idea what she was saying at points.

Also RT for TV isn't really a good indicator lol
Interesting. I find it incredibly charming and not that difficult to understand? Idk I'm more used to British English in a way. 🕷

Yeah, the accent is something i'll need to get used to, but i'm ready for this season.

It's definitely charming (she's beautiful too) but it's very strong and a different one than past Doctors.

Loved it. Jodie is the star and it looks better than ever. Companions looks like growers too. The only true downside for me was the villain, but only when...
...he removed the helmet. One ugly motherfucker, but not in a cute way like Predator.
Edit: Megaspoiler...
This episode felt a bit more mature than recent years? I see it as a very good thing.🕷

Edit 2:

Season premiere was great, really enjoyed it. It's an incredibly different feeling from any of the past eras, in tone, cinematography, writing and score. In fact, it felt much more like BBC's other contemporary dramas until the Doctor lands in and graces us with her presence. But it was all still really well done, especially on a technical standpoint (with the exception of a couple of shots towards the end).

Jodie is damn good. I'm not 100% sold on her yet, but that goes for pretty much every actor in the role. It's just as much about the characterization and writing trying to find their footing as it is the performance. It's nearly impossible to nail it all the way in and have you believe in this incarnation of the Doctor in just one episode. Only exceptions to the rule would be Matt Smith and John Hurt, in my opinion.

While it can feel crowded with three new companions and it does suffer from not being able to develop them all fully, I was super pleased with the character of Ryan. During the opening scene with
the bike, I jokingly said "That's me." And then they go and outright say that he has dyspraxia. I honestly can't think of another representation of the disorder in any other mainstream media, and it feels so refreshing to have that representation.
He immediately resonates with me.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

It definitely felt different and fresh , like more grounded, and i liked that. Not really sold on Jodie, but she did good, and the companions as well but time will tell.