Doctor Who (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I don't like the idea of a female Doctor right now.

Loved this season. It felt like they dabbled a bit more into high concept sci-fi while still remaining rooted in the show's family roots. While there may have been one or two scenes that were subpar, not a single episode was disappointing for me. Even the ones I expected to be not so good such as Smile and Empress of Mars were much better than expected.

Kudos to Peter Capaldi and Pearl Mackie for making the best Doctor/Companion dynamic in a long time as well as straight up the best season in a long time. Still reeling from that two-part finale. Just wish they kept the
return of the Mondasian Cybermen and Simm's Master
a secret, because the way they were built up was terrific.
Bacon wrote:I don't like the idea of a female Doctor right now.
:|

Bacon wrote:I don't like the idea of a female Doctor right now.
Enjoy your monthly ban for sexism.£

I feel like the addition of Missy, while interesting, has fundamentally changed the character of the Master for the worse, and I feel like the introduction of a female Doctor could do the same. Has nothing to do with the fact that he's now a woman, it has to do with the show playing up the fact that he's now a woman. They're focusing too much on it (at least they did from the episodes I've seen) and I feel like I don't trust them enough to make some huge spectacle out of it. It's the same way with making characters homosexual in some television and movies. Sometimes it's subtle, just part of who they are, and it's wonderfully done, while other times they become so focused on that singular characteristic that it hurts the character.

I disagree with what you have to say about Missy being changed because of her new gender. Rather, her arc this past season has been something of a natural conclusion of a 45 year long character relationship between the Master and the Doctor.

Also, even if you do have this problem, then it is a problem that you have with the current writers and how they handle it. But with this new regeneration there's gonna be new writers, so why not give them the same benefit a doubt we would a new actor in the role?

That might be fair, but I'd rather new writers prove themselves to be able to handle the show and THEN do something shocking so I feel I'm in good hands first to eliminate doubts of a disaster.

Just my opinion. Not against a woman Doctor. I'm against the idea of a woman Doctor right now.

'member when they announced that Peter Jackson would direct an episode this season in that funny video and then we all wondered which episode and then it never happened

yeah

I don't watch this show but I just love coming into this thread and reading all the spoilers with no fear. Also it's a friendly thread.

On topic: POC for doctor.

Official 13th Doctor reveal this Sunday