Doctor Who (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
It's also very cramped which is bizarre considering this is the most companions we've ever had in a season of New Who. I may learn to like it, but I'm not sure.

That was a pretty heavy episode as expected. Handled the specific topic pretty well too.

Anyway, so much close ups. I do hope it's just this and the previous episode that has this much close ups.

Fastest nu-Who Doctor accomodation ever? Some choppy editing and still-to-reach-the-heights issues aside, I continue watching this specifically for her, then to see the rest of the production. Also, companions were all well picked. This goes for drama first and understands the boundaries of a BBC TV production, so when it needs to be scifi and grand, it is because you actually believe the drama. I was a fan of Who prior to this, but watching it with bros who weren’t, often I could just feel the cringe in their eyes, I could never truly get them into it. This rarely feels like that.🕷️

Funny how you mention cringe cause the villain for this last episode felt like he came out of a pantomime. I laughed my ass off when you saw him start to just shake with rage at those pesky kids foiling his plans.

Villain aside, I did really enjoy this last episode, but I've always been fascinated by the story of Rosa Parks. This was a very purely historical episode, and while Doctor Who has dabbled or referred to the treatment of minorities in the past, it's never made it a core theme or focus such as in this episode. That and I liked the concept of small acts having a domino effect through history, which is a large reason why I find the real life event so interesting. The song playing over the ending and the credits (and the next episode preview) was a bit much though.

how can i watch this without bbc or cable?

I'm a John G wrote:
October 22nd, 2018, 11:20 pm
how can i watch this without bbc or cable?

Worst episode of the season so far. I think it would have been fine if they just kept it to being a cheesy B-movie style monster episode, but the Doctor's whole "humane" solution was awful and without mercy.

10 minutes into "Rosa" and this is like Hallmark Channel Original Movie straight cheddar. Already wishing they waited to do a topic as precarious as this.

EDIT: It didn't get better.

And oh no, episode 4 has a Trump parody. Why? WHY?

The Trump parody is so poorly handled in that its a caricature without any proper criticisms or deconstruction, in ideology or mentality. And combined with how poorly resolved the episode was (scratch that, there was no resolution), he ends up being the only person in the story to do the sensible thing and is then chastised for it.

The more I think about it, the more a mess the episode really is. There was no third act, and the Doctor's moral compass just feels all over the place right now.

I hate spiders so... But yeah, the resolution of the episode felt unclosed.