Doctor Who (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Just finished Ep 2

Pros:
- Theme is great
- Whittaker is great so far.
- 2/3 companions are cool, but I want to see more of them.
- I like the darker tone of the show, but I think it's currently missing some of the whimsical aspects of Doctor Who as a whole.
- The Doctor is coming to
my home state in Ep 3? Awesome except it's one of the worst possible points in time to come to Alabama, so not sure if I should actually be happy about that at all.
Cons:
- New TARDIS is horrendous to look at.
- So is much of the series with colored with this bright yellow/orange tint and it's just uncomfortable to look at. Hopefully this changes.
- The new score is extremely generic.
- I hate when the show turns into Star Wars and "sniper drones" are unable to shoot a jogging target.

I actually had fun with this episode. But just like the first episode, some of the editing was jumpy. Wished the opening title was longer though- cool background though.

It needs a tardis in it

Bacon wrote:
October 14th, 2018, 11:56 pm
Just finished Ep 2

Pros:
- Theme is great
- Whittaker is great so far.
- 2/3 companions are cool, but I want to see more of them.
- I like the darker tone of the show, but I think it's currently missing some of the whimsical aspects of Doctor Who as a whole.
- The Doctor is coming to
my home state in Ep 3? Awesome except it's one of the worst possible points in time to come to Alabama, so not sure if I should actually be happy about that at all.
Cons:
- New TARDIS is horrendous to look at.
- So is much of the series with colored with this bright yellow/orange tint and it's just uncomfortable to look at. Hopefully this changes.
- The new score is extremely generic.
- I hate when the show turns into Star Wars and "sniper drones" are unable to shoot a jogging target.
Agree with you with pretty much everything except the TARDIS point and cinematography. TARDIS looks like and actual spaceship inside, combo between Fortress of Solitude, a Klingon ship and... well, a TARDIS lol. Perhaps too much for some but imo really cool. Cinematography has been a huge upgrade for me this season. And while the first two episodes aren't the best Who thing ever obviously, I feel like the scripts are much more organic now. No silly punchlines, no need for forced epicness (the way I saw most of Moffat's run unfortunately), just high class TV drama with sprinkless of comedy, scifi and even horror. We'll see how it goes further but so far this is so up my alley.

And Jodie... dear god, everything aside, she's sort of phenomenal isn't she? Instantly likeable. I'd rate the first two episode 3.5 and 4/5 but she's 5+. 🕷

The cinematography relies heavily on uncomfortable orange tints and extremely uncomfortable close-ups for "dramatic effect." It was pretty bad in the pilot but it was terrible in this last ep. There was a conversation where it was nothing but close-ups so close that the speaker's chin was cut out of frame. Just felt ugly, granted Doctor Who cinematography has not been something to necessarily praise in the first place, but at least they gave the shots room to breathe and gave them interesting colors.

Although I do prefer the previous incarnation of it, I like this new TARDIS. Feels similar to the Davies era interior with a dash of the McGann film's. That sort of mix of organic and ornate, plus the Fortress of Solitude vibes M4 mentioned.

Plus it dispenses custard creams. Custard creams are good.

My main issue with the TARDIS is that it hurts to look at lighting-wise. It's similar to Tennant's bright blue-lit TARDIS, which they eventually even changed back to normal. It's so busy and so dimly lit, and that's not a good combination.

Idk man, you make it sound like they were on a brightly lit football field, I got a feeling that they were in a submarine with subdued glowing crystals as a decoration. Need to see it in action though. Like how she and the companions move around the main panel.🕷️

It's like an extremely poorly lit beehive.

My favorite TARDIS's of New Who are Tennant's (non blue, so Series 3 and on) and Capaldi's. Great, alien looking ships with enough complexity but still remain straightforward and not too busy.

Gotcha. Didn't notice the 'dimly' part of your comment. Poorly lit beehive/organic vs. metal nature of it is exactly what appeals to me actually. The only thing that feels weird right now is the busy centerpiece, but like I said I want to see them interact with 'it'. It reminds me of Power Rangers '95 and, again, Donner's Superman.🕷