Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Man, I jus don't give a damn about this. At all.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Man, I jus don't give a damn about this. At all.

-Vader
Me neither... No Steve Carell.

MW715 wrote:There are somthings you just don't make a sequel to. Wizard of Oz in one of them. I feel sorry for the original, classic, stupendous Wizard of Oz that now will have to haul around this deadweight for the rest of eternity. :x
There have also been a number of other adaptations and retellings and the occasional sequel. Also the book was not stand alone, I think there were at least three Oz books.

Its a pretty expansive universe and if other stories can be told, I think they deserve the chance to be and if they aren't very good, they will probably be forgotten like the list of other OZ films made since the 1939 one (which is not the original but instead like the fourth adaptation of the novel).

Yeah.. I mean the dude wrote Wicked. Shit changed everything. There is plenty of room for this story. Do I wanna see it tho? Not really..
Say Girl

here's the look

i hear he will have a british accent.

theweatherman wrote:
MW715 wrote:There are somthings you just don't make a sequel to. Wizard of Oz in one of them. I feel sorry for the original, classic, stupendous Wizard of Oz that now will have to haul around this deadweight for the rest of eternity. :x
There have also been a number of other adaptations and retellings and the occasional sequel. Also the book was not stand alone, I think there were at least three Oz books.

Its a pretty expansive universe and if other stories can be told, I think they deserve the chance to be and if they aren't very good, they will probably be forgotten like the list of other OZ films made since the 1939 one (which is not the original but instead like the fourth adaptation of the novel).
+1

When you've only just started shooting on your latest film, rustling up something interesting to show people can be a daunting challenge. But it was one that Sami Raimi was willing to tackle for a presentation at this weekend’s D23 Expo.

Since he’s knee-deep in production in Detroit, Raimi could only send a video message to the Disney convention from the set of Oz The Great and Powerful. But he also provided an early glimpse of what the film might look like, with concept art and rough footage from the first day’s shooting interspersed with sound bites from the cast, including James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams, Zach Braff and Rachel Weisz.

As Raimi mentioned in the video, the aim for the film is to take the descriptions of Oz used by L Frank Baum in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and bring them to life with all the technological tricks of modern filmmaking. So we were treated to lush imagery of rolling hills, mountains that resembled elephant heads and scary forests, all boasting the iconic yellow brick road.

And while very little is actually in the can, there was a quick glimpse of Franco plying his trade as a dodgy carnival magician, a man who has an eye for the ladies. “He’s bit of a con, a bit of a Lothario and a seducer,” Franco explains in the video. “When he gets to Oz, it's a chance to redeem himself."

One quick shot of Franco preparing to step into a storm with the words “Let’s go make some magic” wrapped things up. Naturally, it’s far too early to tell what the final product will look like, or how effective it will be, but there certainly seemed to be a lot of ambition on display…
:clap: This is going to be great!

Last edited by Allstar on June 22nd, 2012, 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mchekhov wrote:After Downey Jr dropped out, there was talk of Depp doing it, but apparently Raimi is talking James Franco into taking the role

which means we may get to see Franco do his wildest characterization yet....color me interested

while Franco is very much hit or miss for me, i do credit him for being brave and risking it in his choices of how to play a characters...he is certainly more braver than many of his counterparts, i.e. JGL

i still think Pineapple Express is his best role to date

Interesting, hadnt heard of this movie:-) He also did a great job as James Dean:-)

mchekhov wrote:it will be a miracle if chris nolan's batman is as good or better than tim burton's
I see...