Your Favorite Movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Here's something I'm genuinely interested in learning-- what are your five favorite films of all time?

One thing I really like about Rotten Tomatoes is how they'll do an article or video about an actor or directors five favorite films, but I'm also interested in what the average joe really digs on. So go ahead everyone. List your five favorite movies and why, RT style. I'm curious to see what all comes up! 8-)

Since you're new here I'll state my top 5 kindly...

1. The Godfather I & II (Francis Ford Coppola) - I can't really decide which one of them so I'll put both (since they are part of the same trilogy). The reason why these two are my favorite movies of all time is the diversity of the characters and issues not to mention the way the story is structured. Also the acting is by far one of the best in history and only few movies could hang with Godfather on that level. The execution of the movie is also mesmerizing and stunning, the visuals, the decors and the music are perfect.

2. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (Milos Forman)- Probably the only film that can match the Godfather as far as acting and diversity. Although the story pretty much has it's roots and following issues inside a mental-hospital the development of the story is unlike anything I have ever seen. It's a really emotional film that will make you both laugh and cry.

3. American Beauty (Sam Mendes) - This funny drama about the social complexity and the "average" soul within that society is by far the best adaptation of reality. Although the actions in the movie are 100% fiction the issues presented are 100% real. One of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen and every time I see it I can't stop from dropping a tear at the end. It's that powerful.

4. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott) - Although this movie may appear to be boring for others or too dark or whatever reasons people will find to dislike it, I consider it to be probably the best Sci-Fi movie ever made. Maybe there are no space-battles like in Star Trek or Star Wars, maybe there are no slow-motion bullets like in the Matrix, maybe there's no tension like in Terminator 2 but this movie exceeds by painting art in a world where the audience only look for futuristic tales and epic battle scenes. This is the solid proof that Sci-Fi movies are better when they are based on an intelligent narrative structure, on a great combination between a solid development of the characters and epic "stare-down" scenes, a combination between stunning cinematography and melancholic music. Blade Runner is by far, the most artistic, atmospheric and dazzling movie ever made.

5. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino) - The "hilarious" in this movie is unprecedented. This is a classic crime/comedy cult that will make you roll on the floor laughing while witnessing one of the greatest moments in cinematic history. The storytelling is abusively haunting and will keep interested no matter what may be happening in real life. If an earthquake will start you'll wait till that specific scene ends and only after that you'll think of running or hiding. I like to call this movie "the most artistic of it's genre". That says it all.

1. The Sixth Sense (M. Night Shyamalan) - Has been my all-time favorite since I was a kid. There is a haunting, criminally underrated style Night adds to his films, and it shines greatly here that builds up incredible atmosphere, a touching story and one of the most shocking climaxes in film history. The chemistry between Willis and Osment makes the ending even more heart-wrenching, but look past the legendary ending and you'll find, at the core, a beautiful love story and a troubled young boy who can see dead people...

2. The Shining (Stanley Kubrick) - Arguably Kubrick's scariest work of his career, and possibly of all time. Like "The Sixth Sense", The Shining is about a little boy whose ability to see ghosts begins to emitt a powerful paranormal force that begins to tear the family apart with an axe... quite literally. It balances out dazzling tracking shots, breathtaking cinematography and some of the most unforgettable scenes to ever hit the silver screen. Heeeerrrrreeeee's Johnny!

3. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa) - His epic masterpiece tells the tale of a terrorized village that hires the help of seven samurai's to defend them. Using some of the most jaw-dropping fight sequences ever put on film, and a grand-scaled setting to rival most modern epic sagas, Seven Samurai is on a level of it's own, and is widely regarded as the greatest movie of all-time. A childhood favorite, and stands tall today.

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Henry Selick) - I don't know what it is about this movie that keeps on making me want to watch it again and again, but it's animation is worthy of praise as being the first full length stop-motion feature. Not only are the musical numbers incredibly catchy (and non-cliched) they also enhance the voice actors' extraordinary talents. Danny Elfman will never do something like this again, and neither will Burton. A one-of-a-kind.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry) - Charile Kaufman is a genius, and this is his masterpiece. A love story riddled in cryptic dreams, memory erasure and unothadox medical procedures. Behind it all is a brilliant love story, one that requires no experience nor mistakes if you want to relate to it. A product of creative genius.

bLaZe wrote:1. The Sixth Sense (M. Night Shyamalan) - Has been my all-time favorite since I was a kid. There is a haunting, criminally underrated style Night adds to his films, and it shines greatly here that builds up incredible atmosphere, a touching story and one of the most shocking climaxes in film history. The chemistry between Willis and Osment makes the ending even more heart-wrenching, but look past the legendary ending and you'll find, at the core, a beautiful love story and a troubled young boy who can see dead people...

2. The Shining (Stanley Kubrick) - Arguably Kubrick's scariest work of his career, and possibly of all time. Like "The Sixth Sense", The Shining is about a little boy whose ability to see ghosts begins to emitt a powerful paranormal force that begins to tear the family apart with an axe... quite literally. It balances out dazzling tracking shots, breathtaking cinematography and some of the most unforgettable scenes to ever hit the silver screen. Heeeerrrrreeeee's Johnny!

3. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa) - His epic masterpiece tells the tale of a terrorized village that hires the help of seven samurai's to defend them. Using some of the most jaw-dropping fight sequences ever put on film, and a grand-scaled setting to rival most modern epic sagas, Seven Samurai is on a level of it's own, and is widely regarded as the greatest movie of all-time. A childhood favorite, and stands tall today.

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Henry Selick) - I don't know what it is about this movie that keeps on making me want to watch it again and again, but it's animation is worthy of praise as being the first full length stop-motion feature. Not only are the musical numbers incredibly catchy (and non-cliched) they also enhance the voice actors' extraordinary talents. Danny Elfman will never do something like this again, and neither will Burton. A one-of-a-kind.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry) - Charile Kaufman is a genius, and this is his masterpiece. A love story riddled in cryptic dreams, memory erasure and unothadox medical procedures. Behind it all is a brilliant love story, one that requires no experience nor mistakes if you want to relate to it. A product of creative genius.
Love to see THE SIXTH SENSE and ESOTSM in someone's top 5 list. These two are my all time fav movies too.
Btw I just checked out the site in your sig and its loaded with awesomely hilarious scripts. Fantastic!! Are you someone involved with that site or just a fan?

1. Inception
2. The Dark Knight
3. Memento
4. The Prestige
5. Batman Begins

Runner Ups

Insomnia
Following
Doodlebug

^^^ LMFAO!

1) The Godfather Part I
2) Saving Private Ryan
3) Halloween
4) Pulp Fiction
5) On the Waterfront

Runners Up:
Memento
The Prestige
Raiders of the Lost Ark
E.T

1. The Lion King.
2. Billy Elliot.
3. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.
4. Memento.
5. Before Sunrise/Sunset. (I can't pick one over the other)

inception
reservoir dogs
the dark knight
the warriors
memento

runner ups:
toy story trilogy
se7en among many many many others
"All this 'good vs evil' shit's been played out. It's now time for 'BAD VS. EVIL'

-David Ayer on Suicide Squad.

-The Big Lebowski
-Twelve Monkeys
-The Godfather
-Memento
-Goodfellas

Others are Taxi Driver,No Country for Old Men, The Elephant Man,Pulp Fiction...

1. Inception
2. Up
3. Citizen Kane
4. Watchmen
5. Vertigo