All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Everything about the story, the setting, the dialog, and the parts that aren't purely visual is awful. It's actually worse than Dances with Wolves in terms of cultural imperialism. Like so many other "white guy goes back to nature" movies, it posits that the best native is in fact a white guy gone native. He was raised in the offending culture so he understands how it works, but he's also able to learn the native culture almost instantly, become an accepted member of that culture, become a better native than the erstwhile best native (usually a young, hot-tempered man), and lead the natives into battle, either showing himself to be an honorable leader or dying valiantly in the attempt. (Michael W. Phillips, Jr.)

It’s a nearly three-hour message movie that could’ve been written by an eighth grader. No, make that a fifth grader. Cameron infuses the film with lame dialogue like “terror on terror” and bulldozers knocking down “spirit trees” to conjure up parallels to current real-life troubles with war and rainforests. He does it in a way that is so insultingly obvious, it kills any chance to be emotionally invested in the film. (Bob Grimm)

"Avatar" is a cool film. Stunning visuals. Staggering technology. It's a true breakthrough. That's the James Cameron way. But this is the first time Cameron has stopped there — the first time I've seen him fail to turn a good-looking film into a great one. Even one or two. Something other than this formulaic story we've seen before, populated by two-dimensional types — including token military villains and heroic tree-huggers stretched out over 162 minutes just to show off Cameron's tech prowess. (Gina Carbone)

In 2-3 years when the effects has aged, you will see what this film is - Crap. But on the positive note, it makes Nolan look better. At least there is one filmmaker that don't disappoint me. The monolog in the Inception trailer is far more complex than anything in Avatar.

And Weta should get equally as much acclaim as James Cameron does. It's Weta that makes this film look like it does. I mean without the effects this is not any better than any Michael Bay film. Almost as bad anyway.
@sammyjankis88

talli wrote:Lol@headaches from 3D. What are you 80 years old? Get used to 3D cause every film is going to be like that in 10 years.
Yeah, I used to insult the people who got headaches too, until I got one myself. I sincerely hope that there'll be non-3D options in theatres and that 3D doesn't overrun the industry..

I don't get headaches watching 3D, but I agree. I don't want 3D taking over the movies.

chee wrote:I don't get headaches watching 3D, but I agree. I don't want 3D taking over the movies.
Maybe just the animated movies and sci fi flicks, but you can use 3D for all kinds of movies.

Well I just saw the movie. And it was amazingly amazing. The action, the effects and the 3-D was magical. What can I say.? It was out of this world (retarded pun intended). The only thing I found cliche was the plot(will not post any spoilers). The plot was not oiginal but with that the movie was still a great success. And I can't wait for the planned sequel. The movie was, to describe it, amazing, incredible and something unlike any other movie I've seen. I'd recommend this movie for every person out there. And my personal opinion, it was the best James Cameron has done. And it's clear that he put a LOT of prooduction to it. That's all I have to say.

In terms of 3D paving the way for the future, I don't think that's going to happen in the way many imagine. I don't think that all movies will be in 3D, or even half. It's only going to work for mega-productions and animated films and others that want to specifically use the technology. This isn't something like the introduction of color film where eventually all studios had to utilize it in order to compete. 3D is simply an alternative way of shooting. It's not going to dominate the market. The majority of films will be at a disadvantage using it. Could you imagine movies like "Revolutionary Road" or "The Departed" in 3D? I would never have seen them.

Anyway, to that guy who commented on how silly it is to get headaches from watching 3D, please take your ignorance elsewhere. I know of so many people spanning all ages who walked out of Avatar 3D with headaches.

According to box office mojo.

Worldwide : $760,003,825 - I'm bad in math. Is this over 700mil?

Rohan wrote:According to box office mojo.

Almost gonna hit the billion mark. :D

chee wrote:
Rohan wrote:According to box office mojo.

Almost gonna hit the billion mark. :D
Titanic reached billion dollar mark already worldwide..now its going to be AVATAR.

jake088800 wrote:In terms of 3D paving the way for the future, I don't think that's going to happen in the way many imagine. I don't think that all movies will be in 3D, or even half. It's only going to work for mega-productions and animated films and others that want to specifically use the technology. This isn't something like the introduction of color film where eventually all studios had to utilize it in order to compete. 3D is simply an alternative way of shooting. It's not going to dominate the market. The majority of films will be at a disadvantage using it. Could you imagine movies like "Revolutionary Road" or "The Departed" in 3D? I would never have seen them.

why cant you imagine them in 3D? any movie in 3D will only ADD to the suspense of belief, and enforce the illusion of a film....it will make you feel like you're in the room with the characters, spying on them. Think about the tense moments in revolutionary road or departed, and being in the room, yet not being see. You're a ghost in the room. It will be incredible.

I think 3D is definitely going to take off. They've already decided to make robin hood, and clash of titans 3D after Avatar came out. Albeit, these are action flicks, it's only a few years before 3D creeps into all genre of movies.