All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Just came back from the IMAX 3D screening in Rotterdam. Good movie, awesome CGI but please, please throw away the 3D concept. I left the cinema 2 houres ago, I took 2 trains, one bus and now I'm home. My eyes are still not normal, gives me a freakin' headache!

It was the first time I went to an IMAX screening and I have to say that it did not impress me that much. It could be that it's because I did not like the 3D experience and maybe a regular IMAX screening will impress me, but it could also be that I just like to see everything of the screen. I mean, when you are looking at the center of the screen, you can't see what happens in the corners. This makes it hard for me to follow. Last thing (this probably does not apply in the US/UK but;) moving subtitles? Who the hell came up with that? It's in the left corner, right corner, middle, on top. I sometimes did not know where to look!

Don't shoot me for saying this, but IMAX and 3D is just not the thing for me. Next time I probably won't be paying the double price to watch a movie in IMAX.

Let's talk about the movie right?
Avatar is an awesome movie! Deffinately worth seeing. Avatar created a hype among film fans. Avatar is new, original and worth seeing! There is a perfect balance between action, adventure, sci-fi and romance. Go see it! (but choose for yourself if you want to see it in IMAX and/or 3D)
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

I don't think it was the 3D that gave you a headache. I was probably the IMAX. I saw Transformers 2 in IMAX, and between the over blown image and sound, I had a headache for the rest of the day.

I just saw it. And all I can say is that I'm NEVER watching a 3D movie again. Not only does it hurt my eyes but the image is dulled and loses clarity.

As for the film, inconsisitent acting, cliched writing, terrible dialogue all aside, this was a visually spectacular movie. One of the most breathtaking visual feasts I've ever seen.

Eternalist wrote:I just saw it. And all I can say is that I'm NEVER watching a 3D movie again. Not only does it hurt my eyes but the image is dulled and loses clarity.

As for the film, inconsisitent acting, cliched writing, terrible dialogue all aside, this was a visually spectacular movie. One of the most breathtaking visual feasts I've ever seen.
How is the acting inconsistent and the dialogue terrible? The dialogue isn't the best, but it's not terrible. If you think about it, every single movie is cliched. Love over obsticles, character must over come a tough situation and be brave, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... Every movie is the same in that way.

What do you want me to explain? The plot never rises above base level. There wasn't a single interesting line of dialogue in the whole film. Weaver was weak and Worthington can't hide his accent to save his life.

And this is from someone who really liked the film!

I watched a lot of movies in Imax, some 3D and I don't have any problem. I don't watch Avatar yet but i don't think it would be a difference.
I love Imax and TDK (in Imax) was the best movie experience in my life so far.
C'mon be a man. lol

WOW

A V A T A R

amazing

i thought Inglorious basterds was the best movie this year, and i think this just edged it out more. Simply because it made me feel more, it was so heart felt. Where as Inglo Basterds was more entertaining because of the dialogue, and the characters, and not really any feelings it may have got out of me.

This movie really touched me. It was more eye-opening towards spirituality than any religion, imo.

Best Movie of the decade, possibly.

I saw it for the second time a couple days ago...once again in IMAX 3D, and I walked away with a huge headache, which didn't happen at all the first time. I talked to my friend who saw it for a second time, too, though on a separate occasion than me, and the same thing happened to him. It's a good movie but wow did I want to die after the second viewing.

Anyway, I posted earlier in this thread this it was my favorite of the year...well, after a second viewing it has dropped considerably, and it has nothing to do with my having a headache. I just think the story is weak and the movie seems like it's 6 hours long the second time around.

My top five of the year would probably be these:

A Serious Man
Star Trek
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
District 9
Inglourious Basterds

Lol@headaches from 3D. What are you 80 years old? Get used to 3D cause every film is going to be like that in 10 years.

To say the dialogue is cliche, is a very relative thing. We are used to calling this kind of dialogue cliche because its usually used in horrible movies. But those movies make the dialogue cliche by trying to force emotions out of you through the words. The words are meaningless with nothing behind them.

However, in avatar the words float on top of rich emotional content and as a result they move you. And that which moves you, simply cannot be cliche.

talli wrote:Lol@headaches from 3D. What are you 80 years old? Get used to 3D cause every film is going to be like that in 10 years.

To say the dialogue is cliche, is a very relative thing. We are used to calling this kind of dialogue cliche because its usually used in horrible movies. But those movies make the dialogue cliche by trying to force emotions out of you through the words. The words are meaningless with nothing behind them.

However, in avatar the words float on top of rich emotional content and as a result they move you. And that which moves you, simply cannot be cliche.

You must be kidding?Every film in 3D is next 10 years? That's never going to happen.