Lawless (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The movie was… pretty good. A bit too violent for my own taste (though it’s entire serviceable for the story). It’s a tough movie to sit through and it takes a while to figure out what kind of story it’s telling (they may still edit it down, though). I’m curious to see how they market it. Hardy and Chastain have incredible chemistry. The main element that didn’t click for me was LeBeouf (no surprise there). He’s clearly stretching himself but I somehow never bought him in the part. As for the two ‘villains’: crazy Gary Oldman is my favorite kind of Gary Oldman (it was a Leon meets Fifth Element performance, ie. he’s fucking terrifying) while Pearce is almost unrecognizable in that he looks creepy and totally unattractive (his is a performance that toys with camp and dandiness while being eerily cold-blooded). It’s an odd choice and it took me a while to warm up to it (or get used to it) and it might actually be a talking point once the film opens as it is so bizarre.

TRAILER :judge:

Cant wait to see this film 'The Road' was great!

Harvey is oscar-hungry

thrice wrote:Harvey is oscar-hungry
No fucking kidding. Thanks to him we might have to see another mediocre film win best picture once again. I'm referring to this year award race not this film.
Last edited by cooldude on January 5th, 2012, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allstar wrote:Harvey is a fucking asshole. Pushed to August 31st the worst weekend of the year for movies.

http://thefilmstage.com/news/wettest-co ... of-august/
That sucks, but may actually help with it being only a month after TDKR.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

DoubleD wrote:
Allstar wrote:Harvey is a fucking asshole. Pushed to August 31st the worst weekend of the year for movies.

http://thefilmstage.com/news/wettest-co ... of-august/
That sucks, but may actually help with it being only a month after TDKR.

Damn it! Now I have to wait even longer. I knew it would be pushed closer to Oscar season though. The year of Tom Hardy is just heating up. Gonna be SO BIG after the summer.

CaliKid329 wrote:I knew it would be pushed closer to Oscar season though.
That is not what they are doing. It seems Harvey is doing all he can to make sure this does not get awards attention.

Allstar wrote:
CaliKid329 wrote:I knew it would be pushed closer to Oscar season though.
That is not what they are doing. It seems Harvey is doing all he can to make sure this does not get awards attention.

If he was doing that he would have kept in April, a month where a movie stands no chance of awards attention.