Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
talli wrote:
chee wrote:How come there aren't any movies with FRIENDLY smart evolved humanoid creatures (not aliens)? Always going with the war aspect. D:

I think smart apes and humans would get along quite swimmingly, aside from the crazy Creationists. :ugeek:

But I guess that's not dramatic enough. :JGLface:

because its competition of species...their nature, as our nature, would cause them to feel threatened and in order to survive they would have to resort to violent means
Not if they both decide to leave each other alone and just live together.

chee wrote: Not if they both decide to leave each other alone and just live together.
Humans can't even live with different races without competition and violence, it would most certainly happen with entirely different species.

chee wrote:
talli wrote:

because its competition of species...their nature, as our nature, would cause them to feel threatened and in order to survive they would have to resort to violent means

but they can't...we'd be competing for the same resources, same land...the competition is there for very specific reasons.... laws of nature, Chee

talli wrote:
chee wrote:

but they can't...we'd be competing for the same resources, same land...the competition is there for very specific reasons.... laws of nature, Chee
We humans be killing other humans if that was true, our population is gigantic and the animal population is even more so. There's enough resources for two species, one smaller, to co-exist.

Apes eat more vegetation then humans do. They can eat the bananas and apples no one buys at the supermarket.

chee wrote:We humans be killing other humans if that was true.
Sorry but, since when isn't that the truth? ... As far as I know, humans are killing other humans for resources... and this is since the beginning of history.

Like talli said, it's the law of nature.

We humans be killing other humans if that was true, our population is gigantic and the animal population is even more so. There's enough resources for two species, one smaller, to co-exist.

Apes eat more vegetation then humans do. They can eat the bananas and apples no one buys at the supermarket.
In a prefect world, yes. But understand that we live in a world in which people kill other people because they think their imaginary friend is better then another persons imaginary friend. We live in a world in which race is still a HUGE issue and evolution is denied by some loons. We live in a world in which people kill millions of other people in the sake of a "perfect race". Humans can't even get along and live in peace amongst themselves, what makes you think we'd get along with another intelligent species?

And um.... humans do kill other humans.... obviously.

Crazy Eight wrote:

In a prefect world, yes. But understand that we live in a world in which people kill other people because they think their imaginary friend is better then another persons imaginary friend. We live in a world in which race is still a HUGE issue and evolution is denied by some loons. We live in a world in which people kill millions of other people in the sake of a "perfect race". Humans can't even get along and live in peace amongst themselves, what makes you think we'd get along with another intelligent ape or ape descendants?

And um.... humans do kill other humans.... obviously.
Yea, my fault. I need to clarify what my thinking is on this. I'm basing this on a very small population of a new species, maybe 500 to 1,000 animals in this group. Nothing as big as the human population since they'd be relatively new.

I'm also basing most of my points on the Western world, which is trying its hardest to give basic rights to all humans (and animals of a certain intelligence, its culturally unacceptable to kill a dog or a cat or a dolphin) and trying to get away from the primeval attitude of basing assumption on race and religion (although they do fail at times).
Do I think it would be perfect? No, I think that there would be a lot of fighting over if these species would be considered equal to humans, I think that there would be killings particular from the religious right, there would be fights, and there would be arguing.
I'm just saying that I think that if there was another intelligent species, in the present Western world, humans would be more accepting or try to be more accepting. I think that there would be a lot of arguing from the religious side (that's why I mentioned the Creationists :P), and not so much about the resources.

I just don't think that Americans/western world would go out on a all-out war with a new species (and vice versa). Like I said before, the religious people would probably try to do something against them, but the average Joe probably wouldn't care.

Yea, I meant for resources in the Western culture, only. Should've clarified. :lol:

I see it kinda like the African-American struggle to get rights in the 1950s/1960s. There were killings along the way, fights and arguments, but in the end America pulled through without a need for a war and gave them rights. And now, in the present, we live together in near harmony, with the occasional Southern douche spouting some racist garbage.
RIFA wrote:
chee wrote:We humans be killing other humans if that was true.
Sorry but, since when isn't that the truth? ... As far as I know, humans are killing other humans for resources... and this is since the beginning of history.

Like talli said, it's the law of nature.
See above, I should've clarified, but I no longer see people (people as in the Western culture) fighting and killing each other for resources except for oil (*cough Iraq war*). I have never heard of a person, in today's society, slit someone's throat because they couldn't get that land spot for a house. I hear people killing other people for money, but not resources.

And one more thing: exceptions to everything. I'm aware that there is that small minority who fucks things up.

chee wrote: I'm also basing most of my points on the Western world, which is trying its hardest to give basic rights to all humans

I just don't think that Americans/western world would go out on a all-out war with a new species
I'm sorry but mentioning the western world in a discussion like this is not a solid argument. The western world and the western ideologies push a lot of countries to war, starvation, corruption etc. The western countries are also economically and military the most dominant powers and will always fight the weak in order to keep them weak. It's a political and tactical war but it exists. That means the western are as guilty as the eastern since it's an ongoing fight for power, money, territory, resources, religion, ideologies and so on... Racial problems are also to be found more in the western countries than in the eastern ones... Remember germany, great britain, the united states, france, ireland etc.

Chee, can i just say how much your post reminded me of the original Planet of the Apes.

^^ Is that a bad thing? :lol:

I've only seen the 2001 movie. :geek:
RIFA wrote:
chee wrote: I'm also basing most of my points on the Western world, which is trying its hardest to give basic rights to all humans

I just don't think that Americans/western world would go out on a all-out war with a new species
I'm sorry but mentioning the western world in a discussion like this is not a solid argument. The western world and the western ideologies push a lot of countries to war, starvation, corruption etc. The western countries are also economically and military the most dominant powers and will always fight the weak in order to keep them weak. It's a political and tactical war but it exists. That means the western are as guilty as the eastern since it's an ongoing fight for power, money, territory, resources, religion, ideologies and so on... Racial problems are also to be found more in the western countries than in the eastern ones... Remember germany, great britain, the united states, france, ireland etc.
Okay, this is going into a territory that I'm not very familiar on (I don't like politics). But I will say this, America, Britain, Germany, Sweden, Italy, and all those countries TODAY are trying to be and are more accepting towards others (more so than the Eastern/third-world countries, where lesbians are still raped on a street corner and people blow up buildings in the name of a deity). We have the nasty minority (particularly located in the Southern part of America), and a nasty past, but the average Joe would like to get along with his neighbor.

The racial problems are almost completely gone, I see the occasional racist joke, but there aren't any lynched minorities hanging from a tree branch here anymore. Religious tolerance, here in the West, is more widespread, people aren't shoving each other into ovens or starting wars over a holy book. The only war going on is because of oil in the Middle East, and because some of the countries there can't deal with the fact that the West aren't Muslim.

I don't think they'd go to war with another species, in today's world. I think it would be more like the fight for civil rights, not the Jewish oppression during the Holocaust.

I guess you guys can call me an idealist, but I really think humans and an intelligent species could get along. I'll be one of those people with a picket sign on Washington, DC, fighting for rights for intelligent animals, if that day ever comes. :lol: