James Cameron About Hollywood These Days

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
steveportee wrote:
prince0gotham wrote: It was a fuckin ANALOGY.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand the meaning of the word. And by that, I mean he doesn't understand any of the 5 words that you just typed.
R :lol: FL
gib sigs

Well, there is nothing wrong with the article and certainly there is nothing wrong with James Cameron or his remarks. I am pointing my finger to "Batmotor" who posted this article and you made some remarks which I find very pointless with all the due respect.

Here is an exerpt from the article. Cameron's remarks.

“We have a story crisis. Now they want to make the Battleship game into a film. This is pure desperation. Everyone in Hollywood knows how important it is that a film is a brand before it hit theaters. If a brand has been around, Harry Potter for example, or Spider-Man, you are light years ahead. And there lies the problem. Because unfortunately these franchises are becoming more ridiculous. Battleship. This degrades the cinema.”

I have to agree with him. We do have story crisis. All the studios are turning their faces towards adaptations, remakes, franchises and nothing is quite original anymore. Unfortunately, we have about few guys are trying to pen down original stories. There is no need for Harry Potter and Harry Potter or there is no need for Spider-Man reboot. What's driving studios to make these decisions is MONEY like the article pointed out.

We have very limited names of artists who are into original concepts and characters. I am talking about guys like Nolan, Shyamalan, Tarantino etc. The system in Hollywood is corrupted while closing the doors to the faces of new aspiring writers and pay well known writers to write sequels or prequels. Mr. Cameron has all the rights to make such remarks. As a very dedicated filmmaker who has contributed in the past to the cinema and will continue to contribute for the cinema, Mr. Cameron has that right to bring spotlight on these issues. The article is not or Mr. Cameron's point is not about his "Titanic or "Avatar." What saddens me is that originality is fading away slowly.

Originality always exists and will continue to exist, maybe the Hollywood studio system has its flaws and most blockbusters (studio tent-poles) nowadays are not original. But we as the audience need to look beyond the usual commercial blockbusters to search for fresh flavors.

There are so many talented and promising independent filmmakers today such as P.T.Anderson, Wes Anderson, Spike Jonze and Richard Linklater, just to name a few. (Of course add Chris Nolan in if you will). They along with the usual suspects like David Lynch, the Coens, Hayao Miyazaki, and Steven Soderbergh have contributed greatly to the cinema of originality.

I think Cameron was referring to the mainstream studio tent-poles and I sincerely hope people do interpret his comments that way.

(I also believe that Pixar just had a fabulous decade (with a great run of truly original films) that captured the public's imagination. So I am slightly disappointed that they decided to make some sequels instead of coming up with new ideas. I hope that Pixar's imagination is not dead.)

He's a tool. So what, at least he makes some entertaining movies.

Booboo wrote:He's a tool. So what, at least he makes some entertaining movies.
How can you call him a tool? :lol: