Godzilla (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Have you ever been in a disaster?
I have. I was at a festival in 2011 where 5 people died and over 140 were injured. During the events, I have to honestly say I was scared, but I didn't lose my mind. People panic, but not everyone. With me, several others kept calm.

Erik wrote:
shauner111 wrote:
Erik wrote:Went to see it today.
I am usually the guy that still finds enjoyment in bad movies. I recall seeing the latest Die Hard in cinema and still being entertained (although, I will definately not say it's a good film). The new Godzilla however, is in my opinion one of the worst films I've seen in a long time. I read a critic review that gave it a 2/5. I couldn't believe that rating, but I can now.
Im not sure if i can understand where you're coming from. Saying it's a bad movie feels weird to me considering it was visually stunning, the monster fights were incredibly fun and at least we had Cranston doing some good acting. A mediocre rating is perfectly understandable but saying that you enjoyed the last Die Hard but thought Godzilla was one of the worst films you've seen. Hmmm. You at least must see some pretty good movies most of the time.
In every scene they managed to let the charater do the most unlogical thing possible. Let me explain:
Let's start with the opening credits. We see militairy people try to kill a monster in the pacific. It is unclear if they succeeded or not.
Philipines: when they reveal that the first MUTO has gone into the water, my friend next to me said "oh and they didn't see that from the air?" I sarcasticly said it was too big to see from a helicopter.
Moving on to Japan. I don't have much to say about the first act, apart from Cranston character being one big conspiracy-guy cliche. I didn't think Cranston was overacting, I just did not like his character. Then MUTO escapes.
We move on to Hawaaii. Ford is on a train that stops due to an EMP. When the lights go on again, we see a giant monster on the track ahead of us. That's where the train starts running again. There must be nearly 100 people on that train, but no one pulls the emergancy brake? Where's the common sense people?
A Tsunami is comming. People start running. We see a dog tied up to a tree. In the very next scene, the dog is running awa. What happened? Did someone set him free? Did the leash break? What?
People run through the streets trying to keep ahead from the Tsunami. They run right by some tall buildings but don't seem to think that a tall building would save them. Again, where is the common sense? The Hilton hotel is right there.
There is this one guy that makes it in, right before the water turns the street into an aquarium. That glass would have shattered in pieces by the force of the water. Gojira rises up to fight MUTO. Next scene fight's over. Did we just miss 15 minutes of filmscenes? What happened. Oh, Navy is sailing side by side with Gojira. I guess they suddenly trust that second giant monster.
Move on to San Fransisco. Fords wife gets a call from Ford. They haven't spoken since Japan, I would have thought she would run towards the phone, but no.
Militairy comes with a new plan: blow up nuclear waste eating monster with nuclear weapons. Really?
Also it appears there's a second MUTO. Where did that come from apart from Nevada. Again a track mark out of that mountain that wasn't seen from the air? First time, I bought it, this was stupid.
The Golden Gate Bridge in SF should have collapsed when that first huge cable was blown into pieces.
When Ford is around to check the train bridge, they clear it and suddenly MUTO appears. They have an open radio, but no one calls in to stop the train? Where is the common sense? Are these people playing militairy?
Ford jumps of the bridge into the water. Next scene: he's lying between the debris covered in mudd and dust. The water looked clear to me.
Fords wife leaves her son to wait for Ford. That's just stupid. If Ford's dead, she can't change it. If he's alive, they'll find each other when this is over. By stying behind, she risks the possibility that her son is going to lose both of his parrents.
Ford heads into town to disarm the nuke. The door of the nuke is jammed. Al that militairy people, all their tools and they can not open a door? It's glass, smash it with a riffle! Okay plan B then.

They say Gojira is natures way to bring balance. Nature has 3 ways of creating balance:
Diseases and virusses, natural disasters and the food chain. Gojira was neither of them. He just killed the MUTO's.

I hear people say it was well written, but I can not say I agree. There is no logic at all in this film. Usually I would say " it's like they weren't even trying", but this time it felt like they tried exactly to do the most unlogical thing.
The ammount of cars being trashed in the first act of Die Hard 5 makes more sense than a single scene from this film.

For the people who did like it and hate me for this now, just remember that I'm the guy that thinks The Last Airbender is underrated. What do I know, right? Just enjoy your movie and don't listen to me.
I can't believe I just read all that :shock:

Erik wrote:Have you ever been in a disaster?
I have. I was at a festival in 2011 where 5 people died and over 140 were injured. During the events, I have to honestly say I was scared, but I didn't lose my mind. People panic, but not everyone. With me, several others kept calm.
Don't know what's your definition of a disaster but I think you've seen an accident and it's implications. Saying that "people panic, but not everyone" you're admitting that the majority of people panic... which is the point.

One of my friends was part of an accident in which 4 of his friends died in front of his eyes. He was the only one who escaped yet he never panicked. One of my aunts experienced a vicious flood... she and everyone else panicked. In front of nature, in front of things you can't really have answers for... people panic. It's easier to be calm when you're aware of what's going on... even if that includes loss of human lives.
Last edited by RIFA on May 19th, 2014, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Okay, but how about the other people that weren't you and "several others?" Sounds like there were a lot more who weren't as calm as you and those several people. Not to mention the fact that anecdotal evidence has nothing to do with my initial point which was, and still is, why are you using a huge list of lapses in character logic alone to justify the fact that this is the worst movie you've seen in quite some time? My argument is that it really isn't healthy to nitpick things that come off as unrealistic in movies because movies have always been a presentation of a heightened reality. If perfect realism is the barometer of a good script and a good movie, then count me out. It's not realistic that Batman took the time to paint his bat symbol in gasoline on the bridge in The Dark Knight Rises, but damn do I love that moment. Quite frankly, I would never want to live in a world where movies are constrained by an unrealistic expectation of logic. There should be some basic logical cohesiveness, sure, but the fact that I was never once pulled out of this movie by any of your points on that list while I was watching it shows that you were perhaps trying too hard to nitpick rather than just enjoying the visceral ride of a fun action movie. And, ultimately, I think a lot of people got burned by having these unrealistic expectations that this movie would be any more than pure "blockbuster-y" fun.
Last edited by o SHAKESPEARE o on May 19th, 2014, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIFA wrote:
Don't know what's your definition of a disaster but I think you've seen an accident and it's implications. Saying that "people panic, but not everyone" you're admitting that the majority of people panic... which is the point.

One of my friends was part of an accident in which 4 of his friends died in front of his eyes. He was the only one who escaped yet he never panicked. One of my aunts experienced a vicious flood... she and everyone else panicked. In front of nature, in front of things you can't really have answers for... people panic.
I feel sorry for your friend. The aftermath of an accident like that is definately worse then what I experienced. I will never state otherwise. However, what I experienced is an officially declared disaster. Google Pukkelpop 2011.

o SHAKESPEARE o wrote:
Okay, but how about the other people that weren't you and "several others?" Sounds like there were a lot more who weren't as calm as you and those several people. Not to mention the fact that anecdotal evidence has nothing to do with my initial point which was, and still is, why are you using a huge list of lapses in character logic alone to justify the fact that this is the worst movie you've seen in quite some time? My argument is that it really isn't healthy to nitpick things that come off as realistic in movies because movies have always been a presentation of a heightened reality. If perfect realism is the barometer of a good script and a good movie, then count me out. It's not realistic that Batman took the time to paint his bat symbol in gasoline on the bridge in The Dark Knight Rises, but damn do I love that moment. Quite frankly, I would never want to live in a world where movies are constrained by an unrealistic expectation of logic. There should be some basic logical cohesiveness, sure, but the fact that I was never once pulled out of this movie by any of your points on that list while I was watching it shows that you were perhaps trying too hard to nitpick rather than just enjoying the visceral ride of a fun action movie. And, ultimately, I think a lot of people got burned by having these unrealistic expectations that this movie would be any more than pure "blockbuster-y" fun.
Can we end this discussion to agree that we disagree?
I'm not judging you for your opinion. I was just asked why I didn't like it. So I answered.

Erik wrote:Can we end this discussion to agree that we disagree?
I'm not judging you for your opinion. I was just asked why I didn't like it. So I answered.
Sure. But, to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you in a larger sense...I'm not a big fan of the script either. I just wanted to point out something that bugs me in modern film criticism (though mostly in unprofessional, internet settings) and you unfortunately happened to spark the long-building frustration I've had.

m4st4 wrote:Edit: Godzilla is a b.o. king!
First he's fat, then he smells? Poor bugger can't catch a break.

o SHAKESPEARE o wrote:
Erik wrote:Can we end this discussion to agree that we disagree?
Sure. But, to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you in a larger sense...I'm not a big fan of the script either. I just wanted to point out something that bugs me in modern film criticism (though mostly in unprofessional, internet settings) and you unfortunately happened to spark the long-building frustration I've had.
As a huge Shyamalan fan, I understand how it feels if something you enjoyed gets bashed. Normally I hate criticism of things that don't really matter in the type of film, like you just said. I just feel that in this film there were too much things.
That's just my opinion this time around.

Sally Hawkins was great, nobody mentioned her.