HBO's Game of Thrones

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Posts: 19389
Joined: June 2012
yeah it's a bit of a pity B&W left the cast on their own...

Posts: 3323
Joined: September 2013
Location: Copenhagen
Anyone still defending season 8 is on the wrong side of history.

Posts: 4214
Joined: January 2012
MyCocaine wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 9:16 am
Anyone still defending season 8 is on the wrong side of history.
Naa, in a couple of years many of the people throwing temper tantrums now will either not care or most likely come to appreciate the season more, especially if they've rewatched the rest of the show again and see how it actually fits better with what came before than they initially thought. Lots of people hated the Sopranos ending at the time, lots of people don't hate it anymore.

As regards the 'media-driven hate campaign' comment, Conleth Hill was referring to how things were written online about how the actors obviously hated the show they were working on based on nothing and that by running with that message, it seemed like an effort to drive a wedge between the actors and the rest of the crew, and he does not want there to be any confusion about the fact that the people working on the show do not hate the showrunners, the other people working on the show or the show itself...which is so evident it shouldn't even need to be said but here we are. You don't just work with someone for 8+ years on something if you don't have a good relationship at work, think it's bad or dislike working on it. It also makes no sense that people on twitter would somehow know what the actors are thinking in detail about the show based on, what, a short clip of an actor putting a script on a table lol? Whenever the actors do say that the story makes sense to them, they're met with disbelief and arrogant mockery. Maybe, just maybe, they think it's a good story and a good show. That does not mean they would necessarily like all of it (Conleth Hill was not thrilled about the ending to his character and that he wished the character had been able to contribute more but that seems to be about it). Any theorizing about the actors' mindset has always come across as conspiracy-level thinking imo.

And B&W don't owe us any explanation at this point. If at some point they decide to give us one, great. But I do not think they are obligated to provide one.

Posts: 1080
Joined: January 2016
Location: DE
Batfan175 wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:16 am
MyCocaine wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 9:16 am
Anyone still defending season 8 is on the wrong side of history.
Naa, in a couple of years many people throwing temper tantrums will most likely come to appreciate the season more, especially if they've rewatched the rest of the show again and see how it actually fits better with what came before than they initially thought.
I saw all prior seasons in preperation for season 8 and disliked it nonetheless. The problem isn't so much that it doesn't fit, it's that the season is rushed and often badly written. I don't see myself changing this opinion.

Posts: 4214
Joined: January 2012
Dobson wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:24 am
Batfan175 wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:16 am
MyCocaine wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 9:16 am
Anyone still defending season 8 is on the wrong side of history.
Naa, in a couple of years many people throwing temper tantrums will most likely come to appreciate the season more, especially if they've rewatched the rest of the show again and see how it actually fits better with what came before than they initially thought.
I saw all prior seasons in preperation for season 8 and disliked it nonetheless. The problem isn't so much that it doesn't fit, it's that the season is rushed and often badly written. I don't see myself changing this opinion.
Meh, never say never. It's often much easier to say 'the writing's bad' than to say 'I was wrong about who these characters were and about the likely trajectory their stories might take'. There's also more than one way to tell a story but most people seem to have just now learned the words 'foreshadowing', 'character arc', etc. and are now wielding them around as if they were some kind of indestructible weapon against any argument. People LOATHED the Star Wars Prequels when they came out and nowadays you find lots of people actually enjoying them. The only thing that remains is the work of art, what people think about it is often subject to change over time.

Posts: 7666
Joined: August 2012
Dobson wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:24 am
Batfan175 wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:16 am
MyCocaine wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 9:16 am
Anyone still defending season 8 is on the wrong side of history.
Naa, in a couple of years many people throwing temper tantrums will most likely come to appreciate the season more, especially if they've rewatched the rest of the show again and see how it actually fits better with what came before than they initially thought.
I saw all prior seasons in preperation for season 8 and disliked it nonetheless. The problem isn't so much that it doesn't fit, it's that the season is rushed and often badly written. I don't see myself changing this opinion.
you might after batfan waterboards you a couple more times

Posts: 4214
Joined: January 2012
Ruth wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:43 am
Dobson wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:24 am
Batfan175 wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:16 am


Naa, in a couple of years many people throwing temper tantrums will most likely come to appreciate the season more, especially if they've rewatched the rest of the show again and see how it actually fits better with what came before than they initially thought.
I saw all prior seasons in preperation for season 8 and disliked it nonetheless. The problem isn't so much that it doesn't fit, it's that the season is rushed and often badly written. I don't see myself changing this opinion.
you might after batfan waterboards you a couple more times
Anyone is allowed to have any opinion about any work of art if they can say why they hold that opinion about that piece of art. If they still hate the show in 30 years that's their prerogative. Other people might end up reevaluating the show and decide that the backlash was an overreaction, they might not. I just know that I changed my opinion on a lot of films that I enjoyed or hated as a kid as I grew up and had more distance from them. I used to like POTC 3 when I was a teenager but now I can barely stand to watch that film anymore, it's such a mess.

Posts: 54337
Joined: May 2010
They’re allowed to change their opinion... In 30 years?!? Holy shit you’re mad. :lol:

Posts: 4214
Joined: January 2012
m4st4 wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:54 am
They’re allowed to change their opinion... In 30 years?!? Holy shit you’re mad. :lol:
Picked a random number.

Posts: 54337
Joined: May 2010
Batfan175 wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 12:27 pm
m4st4 wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:54 am
They’re allowed to change their opinion... In 30 years?!? Holy shit you’re mad. :lol:
Picked a random number.
Just stop harrasing people every time they have a problem against this series. Can you let at least one opinion fly or is it your life mission to spam everybody to the ground svery single time?

You have no chill.

Post Reply