Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
To add into this (very good) discussion per Jon and Dany, I think it's extremely smart writing that
the show is giving external pressure for Jon and Dany to marry AND to break up.

On one hand, a marriage would make them more "level" in terms of their power, and unite their armies more smoothly, and it's something Davos/Tyrion/Varys (lol not Jorah) would favor. On the other hand, of course, Dany is a bloodthirsty imperialist who sometimes needs to be talked out of committing genocide(s) and isn't the rightful queen after all.

It's incredibly strong writing that their relationship is much more complicated than whether one loves the other, combing personal, political and truly high stakkes of survival into one narrative level.

If the rest of the season has this strong of writing, it could really be one of the best. High hopes.

-Vader

The writing is indeed very well done this first episode. Since I rewatched season 7 recently I found out, again, that 7 felt a lot more like putting the characters into the right place for them to make a (more than) solid start with 8. Nothing felt rushed this episode. Sure, a lot happened in 55 minutes but it didn't feel unnatural.
I think Jon and Daenerys still are the most important characters when it comes to battling the White Walkers. I love how there's so much pressure on them to make that work. Now even more so because of Jon's true lineage being laid bare. I think it makes them both even more compelling characters. I do fear for some big betrayal coming up and not necessarily coming from Cersei. What if Daenerys decides to leave Winterfell with her armies and dragons to make way for King's Landing herself anyway? That's the only way she can claim the Iron Throne before fighting the White Walkers. Considering they also know the Wall has fallen, they'll arrive at Winterfell sooner rather than later.

See, I don’t even think it’s too early for
Daenerys to have fallen in love with Jon. At this point, they must have spent months together. Besides, it’s really never too “early”. Love doesn’t make sense. I have vague memories of S7 and what seemed back then as Dany at least becoming infatuated. Also, she just has that look when Jon takes her to his childhood spot.

It’s a telltale sign seeing how from the very get go (iirc) they treat each other as more equal than any of their previous relationships. They’re like the most compatible incompatible people. To each other they represent everything they crave personally, but also what they normally would desist. Or whatever.

It's not a question about whether they're in love or not. They are. The show has stated this in The Dragon and the Wolf. The scene of Bran seeing Rhaegar and Lyanna getting married and Jon knocking on Daenerys' door. He loved her and she loved him. Just like Rhaegar and Lyanna did. This first episode of season 8 showed them being very much in love again. Tyrion even mentioned it, "they do make a handsome couple" and Sansa asked Jon. Also that flying moment and the scene afterwards.

I agree ^
they're eye fucking eachother the whole season. Honestly I didn’t expect the romance to work for me, but it does. I buy it. It makes total sense they see in the other what they rarely see in others but sometimes see in themselves. Also that they have chemistry, probably helped by being friends.
-Vader

Y’all a post a page back said Dany didn’t and I was addressing that. I thought I wasn’t the one who needed further explanations on what is what.

No problem, it's just an interesting discussion.

Also, are we seriously never going to reach a 1000 pages on this thread? It's season 8 peeps y'all better post some opinions n shit

Are they going to wait with saying what the second episode title is until after it airs like the first one?

I don’t think things will end well for Dany. I think she’s going to go slightly crazy once she learns the truth about Jon. John Bradley probably hinted at this. He said she seemed “psychopathic” in the last episode. I wouldn’t go that far but he may be hinting at what is to come.

As much as Jorah will never stop to defend Dany, I think Tyrion could change side. He respects Jon and Sansa, and his allegiance to Dany is based on his respect for her and her conviction that she will be a good queen. In the next episode, Dany could blame Tyrion for having been played by Cersei, condemn Jamie, refuse to bend the knee to Jon... All of which could make Tyrion change side. At the same time, Arya telling Jon to not forget he's a Stark may imply that the real conflict may be between Dany and Sansa (and not Dany and Jon) with Jon failing to take political leadership, and choose between them.
I find it hard to imagine a scenario in which Dany ends up winning, and she may realize it in the next episode, which could lead her to extreme reaction.
I think all conflict will be part of episode 2, but they will most likely not be resolved before the battle. Which will make the battle all the more interesting. I can't imagine episode 3 being anything else than a masterpiece.