Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
George hasn't written a single thing about this season on his blog, not even for the series finale. Jesus :lol:

Baniac wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 4:54 pm
So I'm assuming Jon's birthright as king was never leveraged to save his life (prior to the decision to send him north), correct? Because he would rather die (or be exiled ultimately) than serve as king? You'd think one of the Starks would have said, "Hey, yo, Jon is the true king," when he was rotting away, awaiting sentencing.
Am I missing something? :?:
P.S. to Vader: glad to know I'm not the only one who liked the ending of Lost. :clap: :D
one of us one of us one of us

and to your question--
Jon as king would start a war. The unsullied and dothraki wouldn't allow it. At that point, Jon's true parentage is immaterial at that point.

-Vader

Finale 48% on RT. Simply ridiculous and unfair. Oh well, doesn’t change my reaction.

I can't believe how good Djawadi is here. His score more than anything really "ties" it all up.

D&D somehow managed to get past the finish line. Somehow.

spade wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 10:41 pm
I can't believe how good Djawadi is here. His score more than anything really "ties" it all up.

D&D somehow managed to get past the finish line. Somehow.
Don’t tell that to RT critics!

Have a feeling in a few years people will be able to look at the conclusion in a more nuanced and thoughtful way without the hysteria.
Dobson wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 4:56 pm
George hasn't written a single thing about this season on his blog, not even for the series finale. Jesus :lol:
He just made a long blog post saying how thankful he is for the show and D&D and everybody. Lmao. Talk about backfiring almost immediately.

Allstar I get it that you think there's hysteria surrounding Season 8 and to some degree I agree with you, but trivializing the way people feel about it is as toxic as what you're accusing them of.

-Vader

You have to realize I am generalizing but there is hysteria imo. I am not dismissing fair and honest criticism, there is plenty to be had. I HATED what they did with Jaime but I did not get hysterical about it like some people are with Dany. Also, to be honest I use to be one of those people who got overly emotional about things on this show that I disliked (cutting LS, shortchanging Cat, some Stannis stuff etc. Dorne was too bad to even have the energy to care) so on one hand I can empathize but I realized how I behaved back then was wrong and unhealthy.

There are some valid criticisms out there but most of the critism I've seen don't even begin to acknowledge the point of the finale. D&D have known since 2013 the end, so around the moment they wrote season 4.
And what have they done since then with
Bran? Take him out of season 5, and put him in a corner since the middle of season 6. I would have liked a long one to one dialogue after the dragon pit scene between Bran and Arya/Sansa/Tyrion/Sam (make your pick), to explain more why he accepts the crown, and what he intends to do. I'm not convinced that he's the best choice, I'm not convinced it's a great idea to give the North its independence and have a Stark rule over the other kingdoms. I'm not convinced that when Bran dies, the next meeting at the pit will go as well. But I reckon that the screenwriters didn't want the new king to be who the audience wanted, to be someone people would cheer. And when people mock Tyrion's line "who has a better story than Bran", they completely miss the point. It's not the best story, but it's the one that can unite people. The one that must be told.
There is great courage in the choice of the ending. Of course you can attribute this courage to GRRM, but the audience could at least start by aknowledging it.

Such a weird feeling. That it's done, it's over now.

Prepare for The Wall of text lol:

All the missteps of the previous episodes aside I felt like they and we earned this episode. It's been a long run. Some say they wanted it to run longer for improved pacing and plot for others maybe that it went on so long is part of the problem... Or simply didn't agree with how they decided to finish this saga.
Nevertheless, the first twenty minutes of this episode were nothing other than nerve-wrecking in anticipation.
Daenerys Targaryen truly became an absolute ruler and that was also her downfall. I think D&D did a great job wrapping her story up in this episode. Yes I was still shocked it happened even though there was no other way. It was beautifully done. It felt apocalyptic in every way. Like I said before, it's weird to comprehend that it's over, it's weird to see Jaime and Cersei lying dead in the rocks, to see Daenerys dying and Drogon's reaction to Jon and melting the throne (basically the one ring in this show) and flying off with his mothers body.

What came next felt like a huge sigh. A good one at that. The remaining characters coming to terms with what happened, although Jon is going to need a little more time, and going forward with the country. Bran Stark, I mean the Three Eyed Raven, was the only logical choice to rule. He can father no children (same as Daenerys couldn't get children and in many ways I think the Three Eyed Raven is the complete opposite of Daenerys) and he is sort of all-seeing and it will probably take a long long time before his body can't continue. I don't remember the previous Three Eyed Raven having mentioned how long he's been around but still. I really liked 3ER's reasoning for Tyrion becoming Hand again, it was nice seeing Brienne as captain of the King's Guard and Sansa getting the North. Arya's ending felt very similar to her last scene in season 4 only now she no longer has hatred and vengeance in her heart. She too, is free now.

Clarke, Harington and Dinklage were incredible this episode. All three of them delivering amongst their best work in this show. I hope Clarke wins a Golden Globe for this season, she has been delivering divine work all throughout.
Djawadi's score was absolutely beautiful and I loved the production design. The VFX looked amazing too. The costumes were gorgeous. It's all such a craft and people delivered amazing work.

Overall, I think The Iron Throne is a fitting and satisfying ending. I don't know when I will be ready to watch the whole thing again but it's certainly going to be a different experience now that we know how it ends. That always changes your perspective.

Vader182 wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 12:39 am
Allstar I get it that you think there's hysteria surrounding Season 8 and to some degree I agree with you, but trivializing the way people feel about it is as toxic as what you're accusing them of.

-Vader
there absolutely IS a lot of hysterical behavior surrounding this season. i feel you gotta step out of your usual film/tv specific places online like film twitter, critic and other publications, and just check out comment sections on instagram and other social media. this season has a shit ton to be criticized over but most people are absolutely not engaging in any productive discussion whatsoever and are simply going nuts ala muh star wars got ruiiiinnneeed! and are demading for this to be reshot

i don’t know if we collectively are going dumber by the day, or if it’s just online that it’s very difficult for people to differentiate between absolute masterpieces and worst thing to have ever happened, but there’s barely any in-between