Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Batfan175 wrote:Excellent episode.
Thought Theon was over his PTSD, didn't ya? Well, no matter how much we want him to go back to being the guy who shot the wildling holding Bran hostage, that's all gone and just believing him to be fixed like his sister clearly did is not gonna make his situation better. He's clearly still acting according to learned helplessness, especially in the scene where his sister and Ellaria are flirting because his first instinct is to obey an order given to him in the context of some sexual scene between other people and he's definitely uncomfortable being around people who are very sexually active, likely because it's a reminder of who he was and who he thinks he can never be again. Then there's also the fact that hearing the soldiers getting mutilated (yes, Euron's soldiers are cutting out tongues just like in the books), that obviously triggers some part of him that still remembers his torture at the hands of Ramsay and props to the show for sticking with that as long-term trauma because it would be very easy to say 'well he's out of Ramsay's clutches now so he'll maybe cry a little and show some remorse and then he's back to normal eventually'....nnnnnope, doesn't work that way. Too many people have died and suffered in the story for many of the surviving characters to go back to a happier, healthier place permanently. He's lost, out at sea if you will...

Also, glad the Ironborn are now shown as what they always were: vicious, cruel pirates/vikings and Euron is maddest, which pleases me (is that a Valyrian steel axe he wields by the way?). Props also for making the death of the Sand Snakes elegant in its execution. The characters never really worked until now and that's only because I kinda wanted Tyene to defend her mother against the pirate scum. Cersei's gonna get a priceless gift: revenge. But somehow I feel like in the long-term Euron's got other plans than simply to make Cersei happy, which is why his gifts are poison.

Arya going North is just what I always hoped for her and it would be easy for the show to do the fan-service move and have Nymria go with her but she's a wild thing now and that's not who she is , just like being a lady was never who Arya was and it is great to have Arya reflect on herself as she reflects on her former direwolf. They each have their place in the world and it's never been what others intended for them. Also, Hotpie is always a fun cameo and it's great to have the Inn at the Crossroad be the point where Aya makes her big decision, seeing as Mycah's death and the events at that place all the way back in season 1 were at the origin of her resentment towards people like Cersei, Joffrey and the Hound.

Jorah and Sam getting to know each other is great because it builds on their connection to Jorah's father and i'm happy that they referenced the fact that Sam drinks rhum in the books too. The greyscale thing was gruesome but that's what I expected it to be. Jorah's probably gonna look like a flayed man by the end of that treatment. It is also nice to see the classist element of the Citadel being brought up but it's getting evermore likely hat Sam's gonna get himself expelled for breaking the rules constantly.

I also enjoyed Varys getting put in his place for his shady turncloak-like behaviour and to see him weasel himself out of the situation with a populist argument against Dany's autocratic demand for loyalty was excellent. Now the question remains whether she passes Varys' test of effective rulers for him not to betray her for someone else, whatever that standard may be in his mind. It's also nice to see her and all these other women be in charge of a discussion concerning war and strategy for a change. I also think that neither Dany nor Jon are the prince or princess that was promised but my guess would be a totally different character who showed up this episode. Melisandre being cautious about visions is also a nice character moment.

Jon Snow is so much like Eddard, it's great. It's a good decision to give Sansa the respect she wants but the other Lords had good points to make and it remains to be seen how well Sansa will be on her guard against the devil inside the castle trying to sow dissent, which is what Baelish has always been to this family and all just because the girl he loved didn't love him back. He's such a pathetic loser and Jon is right not to trust him...he's not cautious enough however because I doubt that LF will take kindly to being humiliated and threatened. What I have come to see however is LF failing to get the Starks to turn against each other so far. They have simply suffered too much and have wanted to be back together too much to fall for his lies at this point.
:lol:

taking a vote: which was the better stripping scene?

Missandei/Grey Worm?

or Jorah/Sam?

prediction:
If we're lucky, Euron will kill all the bad characters in the show

Fuck, it really does suck Mylod is back, also for next weeks' episode... I hope they keep him out of the final season.

Anyway at least some more story progress.

Worst:
Arya/Hotpie scene and the final setpiece being edited to fuckistan.
Best:
I think Daenerys calling the shots like she should, also Daenerys/Jon buildup.

I just have to say, that transition from Jorah's wounds to the guys eating in the tavern was both really disgusting and incredibly epic.

Episode 1 was again all-setup all-checkup which I didn't really expect for only 7 episodes.

2nd episode was absolutely terrific though. Dany's invasion is just terrific climatic stuff and we're just at the beginning. Seeing all these new alliances and reactions to her arrival is glorious.

Characterization is great minus one part. I'm really not a fan of Sansa this season, her arguments with Jon seems a bit forced to antagonize each other. Citadel is better than I thought, but it's kinda lame Samwell of all characters is the one with his own subplot.

The last action scene wasn't Sapochnik-level great, but I'm not jumping on that Mylod hate bandwagon. His Arya Terminator scene sucked hard last year but otherwise he's not that bad to single him out as a dud

Euron rocks

Varys is the true hand/queen yo.

Two sequences that made me flinch:
Greyworm strip.

Jorah/Sam scab removal.

Why the Greyworm strip tho lol

Also Sansa is one of the smarter characters. Lets hope she's smart enough not to become a prey to Petyr. I feel like Petyr, Cersei and Arya are the biggest wild cards in terms of influence over the big picture.

Nomis wrote:Why the Greyworm strip tho lol
Misandei is like "I want to see you..." and I'm like "No no no no no, I don't want to see that" :shock: lol

the_red_ninja wrote:
Nomis wrote:Why the Greyworm strip tho lol
Misandei is like "I want to see you..." and I'm like "No no no no no, I don't want to see that" :shock: lol
Yep. I had the same reaction. Just don't! Thankfully It was mostly Nathalie Emmanuel :D