Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
S6E2 spoilers
Davos pleading Melisandre to resurrect Jon makes absolutely no sense, he had absolutely no reason to suddenly care that much for Jon and also suddenly being impressed by Mel's magic. Davos feels like a TV Watcher in that scene, he never saw Mel resurrect people, does he even know it is possible? There's just so many things wrong with this, it is head-scratching.

This may be even weaker plotting than the Wight Heist in S7, it's just not as important to the season overall, because well...Jon's death really has no impact on anything. They just should have Jon escape an assassination attempt and desert the Night's Watch because of it, they really had no idea what to do with GRRM's cliffhanger

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 6:32 am
S6E2 spoilers
Davos pleading Melisandre to resurrect Jon makes absolutely no sense, he had absolutely no reason to suddenly care that much for Jon and also suddenly being impressed by Mel's magic. Davos feels like a TV Watcher in that scene, he never saw Mel resurrect people, does he even know it is possible? There's just so many things wrong with this, it is head-scratching.

This may be even weaker plotting than the Wight Heist in S7, it's just not as important to the season overall, because well...Jon's death really has no impact on anything. They just should have Jon escape an assassination attempt and desert the Night's Watch because of it, they really had no idea what to do with GRRM's cliffhanger
It does make sense, though.

Bringing Jon back reasserts him as a christ figure and savior, shows him 'reborn' in salt and smoke, is a physical reminder of Jon's moral integrity and inspires loyalty from those around him for the above reasons. This may be underdeveloped but it's there on the page.

As for Davos, he just lost the man he'd been following for decades. He is aimless and desperate, and retreats to the only good man he knows only to find him dead. His desperation pushed him to ask Melissandre to try to bring Jon back.

This all tracks.
PS
The Wight plan makes sense and whether it was Martin or D&D it's one of the smartest and most satisfying turns in the whole series. Why? Both Dany and Jon have a long history of making bold, reckless choices. Often while ignoring the advice of their best advisors. Tyrion's plan was low risk and high reward. But Jon ignored the advice of Davos not to go up North, just like Dany ignored Tyrion's advice to go and save him. They are both extraordinary people, but the same things that make them extraordinary also blind them that they can be wrong. Each time they make these moves, the consequences get bigger and bigger, IE Jon's death and the civil war of the slaver cities. Even if their choices seem to be for the greater good, there is usually collateral damage.

This seems to nicely fit with Martin's anti-war theme that solving violence with violence often just creates more violence. The "heroes" of our story, not the villains, are the ones who are causing some greatest pain and most destruction to the realm. Together, Jon and Dany may be able to stop the white walkers. But if they had never met, perhaps they never would have needed to. That is a powerful statement, one that I hope Season 8 explores.

-Vader

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
S6E2 spoilers

How did GRRM not have more to give them they could use though? Because obviously we know Davos won’t even be there in the books.

Allstar wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 9:53 am
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
S6E2 spoilers

How did GRRM not have more to give them they could use though? Because obviously we know Davos won’t even be there in the books.
Sure, the resurrection only feeds into the idea of Jon as a saviour-like figure akin to the Prince who was Promised/Warrior of Light, which is an element going back to season 2 and behind many choices of both Stannis and Melisandre. Davos is invested in Jon Snow's fate because a) the reason he advised Stannis to go North in the first place was because he read the Night's Watch letter at the end of season 3 that detailed the events beyond the Wall and b) Jon is the only character on the show who has consistently urged everyone to take this stuff seriously. Davos knows Melisandre can birth shadow demons so if he is invested in preventing the worst from happening, i.e. the Others turning everyone into wights, he'd likely want to see if something can bring back the only guy who believes in the existence of these creatures. So why would it be over-the-top or unreasonable for him to assume that Melisandre can resurrect people if the only thing that Davos knows for sure is that she's capable of strong magic? In any case, it would make sense for him to at least ask her if it's possible, which he does.

In terms of Martin giving them more details, I don't think he has a clue as to how to wrap up satisfactorily the 30 different plots that he created in his books so, frankly, I would not be looking for his help in that situation either.

What are everyone’s predictions? Still think Sansa and Tyrion could end up reuniting and doing some terrible shit in the process. Would not surprise me if Danaerys dies by episode 4, at the hands of Sansa (not the Night King). I say the series ends with only one dragon alive. Arya kills Cersei, perhaps disguised as Ned (not killed by Jaime like everyone thinks) but later than we think, like the series finale. Sam and his knowledge will be the key to end the war. Jaime and Tyrion both survive. Melisandre is the interesting wild card here.

Jon and Daenerys basically are the lead roles of the show. No way that either one of them dies before the final episode, if at all. If one of them dies I think it's more likely to be Jon.

There's only so many ways the story can go in the final six episodes but I do think that if any major character dies relatively early on (within the first three episodes if not two) then that leaves a lot more space for the others in the remaining episodes. Which in turn makes the story even more interesting because there'd be more room for characters to make different decisions or things to go awry. Probably because there could be some serious betrayal on the way which given how this show has been, is definitely the most likely way to stir some serious shit up.

And I also think that the Night King and his icy bitches will kill some major characters on the way South. They have to, otherwise the most deaths and the most influences on major characters the White Walkers will have had will be fewer than them actually entering Westeros and bringing death wherever they go lol

I just hope the first episode of season 8 won't be like the first of season 6 and 7 where it basically just was showing where everyone is before truly getting things going in the episode after that.

everyone dies

Podrick becomes king

Cilogy wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 7:41 pm
everyone dies

Podrick becomes king
All hail the almighty schlong! 👑

I want a Witcher.