Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 1:43 am
because fucking up the ending is obviously way worse than fucking up the journey

-Vader
I mentioned I get it’s the ending but I still feel people looked past the flaws in previous seasons. To me I still find certain things way more frustrating in previous seasons than this one and I’ve had time to marinate it.

Some of the meltdowns has to do with head canon aka Dany being the hero.

Allstar wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 1:47 am
I mentioned I get it’s the ending but I still feel people looked past the flaws in previous seasons. To me I still find certain things way more frustrating in previous seasons than this one and I’ve had time to marinate it.

Some of the meltdowns has to do with head canon aka Dany being the hero.
its easy to go "okay well S7 might've been a let down but it's just setup for season 8"

every time someone said the above, it was like they were loading another stick of dynamite onto a pile, deferring their criticism for the resolution to make good on these flaws. so when s8 not only didn't fix these problems but actually created a lot more, that lit the match on a -lot- of dynamite.

Which, I have to mention, there was 100% big backlash to a lot of Seasons 5-7. It's not on the same level as Season 8, but the suggestion this didn't happen is patently false.

-Vader

It happened to a degree with previous seasons but just look at the reviews on RT, it’s alarming to compare.

Allstar wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 2:08 am
It happened to a degree with previous seasons but just look at the reviews on RT, it’s alarming to compare.
a logical explanation for why is literally built into the thesis of my previous post

-Vader

I understand that, to me it still feels very extreme. That’s all I was saying.

Even the flaws in seasons 5 to 7 were not big enough to merit a backlash this harsh and attacks this vicious. The worst criticisms come from people who seem like they didn't pay attention during early seasons and are now outraged over certain character decisions. It's not the show's fault these viewers were asleep when Dany burned a rape victim alive or burned Samwell's family in her quest for power when a whole bunch of alternatives were presented to her and that there's a narrative throughline that leads to her murdering everyone in KL. It's not the show's fault these viewers didn't pick up on the fact that Tyrion's been constantly accused of wanting to murder his family and in his efforts to avoid being responsible for their deaths (which includes the wight hunt and the negotiations in front of the gates of KL by the way) he ends up killing his brother and sister. But 'old Tyrion smart, new Tyrion dumb' is the level of sophistication you can expect from people who don't pay much attention to what's actually on screen. It's not the show's fault that these viewers didn't pick up on the fact that Cersei's humanising moments were almost always exclusively in front of Jaime or with her children (which are Jaime's children) and that he hence might have a perspective different from everyone else on her to go back to her, not to mention the epiphany the guy had about himself as a person. But sure, bad writing. There's more than one way to tell a story.

A lot of garbage criticism of this show also comes from people who expect the characters they like to have an outcome that is satisfying to them (Jon on the throne, Arya gets her revenge, etc.) but mostly this show show has not been about giving the audience what they want. If that had been the case, then Eddard, Robb and Catelyn, Oberyn would not have died but that would be a betrayal of the source material in their eyes. They're just salty that the characters they like are doing terrible things at a point of the story that has not been published yet. The Stannis the Mannis crowd was the worst in this regard with season 5 and the Dany crowd is definitely this with season 8. They can scream about how it's 'the execution, not the outcome' but I've seen enough criticism of this show online to know that most of these people had an idea in their head on where the story was headed and when it didn't they threw a temper-tantrum.

It's also just tv show but by looking at what people say about D&D you would get the impression that they committed war crimes. I have not even gone into all the bad-faith mindreading and ad hominem attacks launched at D&D. D&D are the new George Lucas for the nerds on the Internet and hating on two people without whom the show they profess to love would not have ever existed in the first place is terrible. From what I understand there are subreddits where threats were made against these two. And people expect them to go out in public and expose themselves to harassment or worse by basement dwellers who can't distinguish what's important and what isn't?

People are allowed to dislike the show all they want but it's just that...a tv show and I'm increasingly not sure the man-children on the Internet are able to make the distinction between stuff that matters (people) and stuff that does not (a tv show). Case in point, the truly dumb and disrespectful petition to remake the season. That's not how art works and it's offensive to demand erasure of anyone's hard work. I don't get to repaint the Mona Lisa because I think her smile's not big enough.

There's also the fact that people who read the spoilers for the least 3 episodes gave the lowest possible ratings to those episodes to drag down the average grade on websites like Imdb, which is just such childish and infantile behaviour.

Batfan175 wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 3:02 am
Even the flaws in seasons 5 to 7 were not big enough to merit a backlash this harsh and attacks this vicious. The worst criticisms come from people who seem like they didn't pay attention during early seasons and are now outraged over certain character decisions. It's not the show's fault these viewers were asleep when Dany burned a rape victim alive or burned Samwell's family in her quest for power when a whole bunch of alternatives were presented to her and that there's a narrative throughline that leads to her murdering everyone in KL. It's not the show's fault these viewers didn't pick up on the fact that Tyrion's been constantly accused of wanting to murder his family and in his efforts to avoid being responsible for their deaths (which includes the wight hunt and the negotiations in front of the gates of KL by the way) he ends up killing his brother and sister. But 'old Tyrion smart, new Tyrion dumb' is the level of sophistication you can expect from people who don't pay much attention to what's actually on screen. It's not the show's fault that these viewers didn't pick up on the fact that Cersei's humanising moments were almost always exclusively in front of Jaime or with her children (which are Jaime's children) and that he hence might have a perspective different from everyone else on her to go back to her, not to mention the epiphany the guy had about himself as a person. But sure, bad writing. There's more than one way to tell a story.

A lot of garbage criticism of this show also comes from people who expect the characters they like to have an outcome that is satisfying to them (Jon on the throne, Arya gets her revenge, etc.) but mostly this show show has not been about giving the audience what they want. If that had been the case, then Eddard, Robb and Catelyn, Oberyn would not have died but that would be a betrayal of the source material in their eyes. They're just salty that the characters they like are doing terrible things at a point of the story that has not been published yet. The Stannis the Mannis crowd was the worst in this regard with season 5 and the Dany crowd is definitely this with season 8. They can scream about how it's 'the execution, not the outcome' but I've seen enough criticism of this show online to know that most of these people had an idea in their head on where the story was headed and when it didn't they threw a temper-tantrum.

It's also just tv show but by looking at what people say about D&D you would get the impression that they committed war crimes. I have not even gone into all the bad-faith mindreading and ad hominem attacks launched at D&D. D&D are the new George Lucas for the nerds on the Internet and hating on two people without whom the show they profess to love would not have ever existed in the first place is terrible. From what I understand there are subreddits where threats were made against these two. And people expect them to go out in public and expose themselves to harassment or worse by basement dwellers who can't distinguish what's important and what isn't?

People are allowed to dislike the show all they want but it's just that...a tv show and I'm increasingly not sure the man-children on the Internet are able to make the distinction between stuff that matters (people) and stuff that does not (a tv show). Case in point, the truly dumb and disrespectful petition to remake the season. That's not how art works and it's offensive to demand erasure of anyone's hard work. I don't get to repaint the Mona Lisa because I think her smile's not big enough.

There's also the fact that people who read the spoilers for the least 3 episodes gave the lowest possible ratings to those episodes to drag down the average grade on websites like Imdb, which is just such childish and infantile behaviour.
Lmao!

Batfan175 wrote:

Is he... Is he still talking? :oops:

Batfan175 wrote:
But it's just a TV show so people giving it low scores on the internet shouldn't bother you either. It's meaningless.