Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Euron seems like a character in one of those bad live action anime adaptations whose special power is teleporting armies and
big anime arrows.

He’s one of the worst things to happen to the entire show.

-Vader

Demoph wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 2:17 pm
radewart wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 1:18 pm
I think this season has been a little disappointing, but it certainly feels like many critics and certain fans are going out of their way to find things to hate on. Nothing was ever going to live up to their expectations of what they wanted to see, so the episodes are crap and terrible. It an aspect of modern criticism and fandom that is real turn off.
Yep, and it's only going to get worse with the two last episodes. When you have people rooting for X and other rooting for Y, and X and Y are clashing, you won't satisfy all fans.
It's crazy how many people are unable to appreciate the cinematic wonder that the long night was; sure there are issues with it. But damn, that's still much better than 90% of action film nowadays.
The hand waving of legitimate criticism of this show never ceases to amaze me.

I think it's both. Some criticisms are blown out of proportion, but the writing of the latest two episodes is also noticeably worse compared to the first two, which weren't written by D&D. I fear for the last two episodes.

Unless they tie all of this nonsense together in a miraculously amazing manner in the next two episodes, I think this is by far my least favourite season.£

I'm sure Sapochnik will elevate the next episode though. I wish he directed the finale as well.

Dobson wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 2:44 pm
I think it's both. Some criticisms are blown out of proportion, but the writing of the latest two episodes is also noticeably worse compared to the first two, which weren't written by D&D. I fear for the last two episodes.
That’s not how television writing works. They’re the showrunners, every episode is written by them to some degree, regardless of who ultimately gets credit. So the point you’re insinuating — that it’s their writing, in particular, which is worse than their staff writers —is misleading, at best.

This season has been uneven, but their influence is as much present in the good as it is the bad. D&D are far from perfect, but let’s not create any false narratives to make it seem worse than it really is.

I actually think the direction has been the limiting factor this season, for the most part.

hoo boy

With all of the talk that GRRM had written himself into a corner for his last two books, fate seems to have brought D&D's version to the same conclusion. Their claims of "always knowing" that the show would end after specific number of episodes contradicts the poor penmanship of the scripts as well as the goofy pacing of these last two seasons.

How can you know exactly when your story ends and yet the writing/pacing be so far off from the first half of said story? That screams bullshit to me.

I love this show and this world, as does David and Dan - but it has become increasingly clear to me that they've been ready to move on from this behemoth for quite some time now and I believe it has shown a direct effect on some of their decisions.

Ep 3 and 4 have been a 6 for me. Hope 5 and 6 will be an 9.

MyCocaine wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 2:32 pm
Demoph wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 2:17 pm
radewart wrote:
I think this season has been a little disappointing, but it certainly feels like many critics and certain fans are going out of their way to find things to hate on. Nothing was ever going to live up to their expectations of what they wanted to see, so the episodes are crap and terrible. It an aspect of modern criticism and fandom that is real turn off.
Yep, and it's only going to get worse with the two last episodes. When you have people rooting for X and other rooting for Y, and X and Y are clashing, you won't satisfy all fans.
It's crazy how many people are unable to appreciate the cinematic wonder that the long night was; sure there are issues with it. But damn, that's still much better than 90% of action film nowadays.
The hand waving of legitimate criticism of this show never ceases to amaze me.
I do think that season 7 had many flaws, and that the story with Littlefinger was terrible. And I think season 8 suffers from the bad build-up that season 7 was, especially Sansa, Euron and Tyrion. I did have a "so that's it" moment at the end of episode 3, yet on rewatch it's just such a great experience, and the battle just had so many great moments. Of course the episode relies more on the directing than the writing.
But yeah, I defend what they did with
Jaime
in episode 4, I've read everybody's arguments, and I haven't been convinced. And I do think that most aspect of episode 4 made sense.

Vader182 wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 1:48 pm
radewart wrote:
I have big issues with some of how this season is playing out but I 100% agree with this. Especially in regards to The Long Night.

-Vader
With The Long Night I agree. But this episode really feels a lot weaker than anything else. Maybe I feel differently when the final two episodes are out, beacuse I really want the ending to be good.

And I don't think it's purely because of high expectations that are impossible to reach, there are plenty of things that points to the story being weaker the further away from the books it has gone.