Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
TO be honest, considering how "worse" the material supposedly is, this isn't bad.

-Vader

I kinda expected this as it was going to be impossible to top the first four episodes of Season 4.

Anyway, a single review is not conclusive. Perhaps the majority of the rest shall be raves? You never know.

Also B+ is still a really high mark.

Vader182 wrote:TO be honest, considering how "worse" the material supposedly is, this isn't bad.

-Vader
Not supposedly, it is. Although, both AFFC and ADWD merged together with some real crap cut out, this really shouldn't be a bad season at all. Then again, a B+ isn't even that bad and it's just one review and it's from EW...

Yeah, they replaced Martins "crap" with a grey worm/Missandei romance and Romeo & Juliet plot with Mycerlla/Trystane. Not to mention cutting out Arianne and expanding on the "B movie" sand snakes. Genius! Also, we seem to have Brienne pointlessly wandering around and have no idea if the Jaime and Sansa stuff will be good. So think before you call Martin's stuff "crap".
Last edited by Allstar on April 3rd, 2015, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

I said supposedly since, as Allstar here knows, I haven't read a word of the books (and don't plan to until the show' finished on HBO). Allstar, you're jumping the gun as much as anyone else at this point. It's difficult to keep in mind these creative decisions are often a double-edged sword, and I'm sure the writers tried a "lesser of two evils" situation. It might be pulpy and inferior as far as plot, but it's also possible that was the better option than risk the show becoming plodding and boring- which is exactly what people accuse books 4 and 5 of being.

-Vader

All the books are great, if you love GRRM's writing, his world and his characters, it's all one big treat. Even while reading ADWD I've never felt like I needed particular POV to satiate my needs, they were all interesting, which is quite a feat considering how many characters with POV are there.

m4st4 wrote:All the books are great, if you love GRRM's writing, his world and his characters, it's all one big treat. Even while reading ADWD I've never felt like I needed particular POV to satiate my needs, they were all interesting, which is quite a feat considering how many characters with POV are there.
That's fine, and for all I know, I might totally agree with you. I honestly have no idea lol. I'm just speaking on the part of the mass readership, which, for better and worse, is what's kept in mind for the series.

-Vader

I support plenty of their decisions, it would have been completely unrealistic to do Davos's (which book fans love) and Samwell's story . I just find it insulting to call Martin's work "crap". I think the Jaime and Sansa stuff can be good, I'm just not making any guarantees. Funnily enough DB Weiss recently said he doesn't remember who the POV characters in the book are and Benioff forgot Sam was one, lolwut. If you're adapting this epic series you should know these books like the back of you're hand but they can't even remember something as simple as POV characters.. Anyway, I'm pumped for this season and have really high expectations for Stannis storyline. It will prob be his biggest season yet.

@Vader

Many feel Feast is the richest book in subtext of the entire series and massively improves on re-read. The negativity about them is pretty overblown.

Allstar wrote: @Vader

Many feel Feast is the richest book in subtext of the entire series and massively improves on re-read. The negativity about them is pretty overblown.
That's comforting then, but do you think it could translate to the show if they followed those storylines more in line with canon?

-Vader