Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LelekPL wrote:
RIFA wrote:Am I the only one that is not really hyped? I mean yeah, trailer is not as good as all the other ones but still...

It's the first time my excitement for a GOT season is close to 0 lol.

Like I'm sure I will be enjoying it a lot but my thirst for good tv shows has already been satisfied this year and I honestly can't see anything rising up to the Leftovers standard.

Maybe Twin Peaks but they're so different it's hard to really quantify all that.
I guess it's because last season. It was a great season, one of the best, but unlike the others it didn't end on some terrifying, tension-filled climax. Basically it all ended in wish-fullfilment and now Daenerys is in control of an army so big that I can't imagine Cersei being able to fight it.

When your villain is the underdog it's not exciting.

But I'm sure they'll find some tension with Euron and Littlefinger.
Well I consider Dany the villain and she is quite the favorite.
Last edited by Allstar on May 25th, 2017, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maybe.

But I also think the show went for quite some time and television expanded so much in the last 10 years it's crazy. I mean there's so much quality and innovation right now and GOT kinda just stagnated which made it lose a little bit of pace.

But who knows, it might be just the current feeling and when first episode airs the hypemeter will blow up.

I'm also not keen on the idea of having like 4-5 spin-offs. I think they're doing too much and overestimate the overall interest.

How did GoT stagnate? lol wat

Nomis wrote:How did GoT stagnate? lol wat
Well it's not like GoT kept reinventing itself. So yeah, considering it's been out for 7 years, I'd say it stagnated within the television world whereas other shows have continued to grow and/or expand on what we thought was achievable. The Leftovers, True Detective, Fargo, and Twin Peaks right now. And then you have stuff like Handmaid's Tale, Narcos or American Crime Story which are not pushovers by any means.

The point is GoT has been at the forefront of the television boom of the last decade. It really was all about Game of Thrones and everything else at the time. There was a noticeable gap. Now that gap doesn't exist anymore. We have much more options for good television and we ate a lot of good stuff lately that Game of Thrones is not as impressive as it was 5 years ago.

And not being as impressive as you were obviously I think leads to some sort of decrease in excitement and interest. That's not to say that I doubt GoT's popularity because I'm pretty sure it's still synonymous with high numbers. But the air is definitely different.

Oku
RIFA wrote:
Well it's not like GoT kept reinventing itself. So yeah, considering it's been out for 7 years, I'd say it stagnated within the television world whereas other shows have continued to grow and/or expand on what we thought was achievable. The Leftovers, True Detective, Fargo, and Twin Peaks right now. And then you have stuff like Handmaid's Tale, Narcos or American Crime Story which are not pushovers by any means.

The point is GoT has been at the forefront of the television boom of the last decade. It really was all about Game of Thrones and everything else at the time. There was a noticeable gap. Now that gap doesn't exist anymore. We have much more options for good television and we ate a lot of good stuff lately that Game of Thrones is not as impressive as it was 5 years ago.

And not being as impressive as you were obviously I think leads to some sort of decrease in excitement and interest. That's not to say that I doubt GoT's popularity because I'm pretty sure it's still synonymous with high numbers. But the air is definitely different.
Wow...beautifully said.

RIFA wrote:

I don't think you can criticize a show for being what it is. There are only so many ways the story can go when it's set up the way it is. When it's a show like True Detective, American Crime Story or Fargo, you get new characters every season. Twin Peaks hasn't been on the telly for decades. Narcos and Handmaid's tale are much newer and as for Narcos,
the main character has been killed off and he was the driving force of the first two seasons so...
Besides, I think the hype is still very real and I think the show is going to deliver. Last two episodes of last season fucking rocked and that was the end of season 6 ffs, I certainly wouldn't say that GoT has stagnated, at all.

Lol, how is Dany the villain? The season 6 finale wasn't a big climax (except that the status quo got pretty much changed for everyone in 60 minutes)? "Wish-fulfilment"? Pff, Whose wish? Have you guys even watched the show? The entire point is that none of these guys (nor the show) think they are one-dimensional or villains but that they act on incentives and react to internal and external pressures in their lives but they nevertheless need to come together or else they and everyone else dies because personifications of Death come for them. Since they all have their own motives and incentives to do or not do exactly this, that makes it that much more difficult for humanity to survive. The point is to see who is selfless enough to get that point on the show and who doesn't get it and why and that in itself is pretty interesting.

I would agree that there is a lot of other great tv shows out there but those are not of great interest to me personally because they are set in genres that I do not find interesting (Breaking Bad, Fargo, True Detective are mostly crime-dramas set in present-day and that in itself does not grab me either, does not mean I consider them bad just because they don't play to my interests) or they are overpraised for essentially playing to people's nostalgia (see my thoughts on Stranger Things for instance). Then there is much weirder fare (Hannibal, Twin Peaks) that is not everyone's cup of tea. But do you notice all the numerous live-action dark- or high-fantasy shows of epic scale that we have now, all featuring memorable and morally complex characters who we can (dis)agree with and even despise or love on different occasions, depending the context? Aren't all these many fantasy shows really choking life out of this boring, repetitive show? Aren't there just so many? Yeah, didn't think so either. I cannot think of another medieval fantasy show that is of the same quality level. A lot of 'prestige tv' are dramas that are set in modern/future times because budget and do not feature a cast this big, or have this many storylines spread out over multiple continents (once again, these other shows may have budget constraints so they don't go for that, which is fine).

None of the shows I mentioned attempted to tell a big, epic fantasy story in a way that would subvert expectations and some genre conventions and assumptions along the way, only to reassert certain moral virtues towards the end that the audience thought were foolish (honour, kindness, justice are all appreciated by the audience when we see examples of them on the show, precisely because they happen so rarely without some kind of bad consequences but then you have the crowd who does not believe that there can be goodness or victories that do not entail some type of misfortune attached to them).

The show does not need to reinvent itself constantly because first of all, it adapted a story for arguably 5 seasons (there is your first constraint because readers were howling early on over any deviation from the source material so imagine if the show started changing its very nature) and has only recently begun to diverge in significant ways from the source material (and even that we cannot be really sure of, since we haven't gotten the last 2 books yet). Like it or not, this is an adaptation and is hence limited at least to some degree in what it can and cannot do (I think alien spaceships showing up in King's Landing in season 8 would probably be a reinvention but also monumentally stupid). So either that means you got bored with the story because a) it took so long to finish the tv show (which is much faster-paced compared to the books already), in which case I would not blame you since investing time in a story worth 7 loooong books is really demanding, or b) you just got bored with the world that was created, or c) you are asking the show to do something or be something that it never set out to be. That is like me telling Breaking Bad after 4 seasons 'you know, seeing this guy do the same shtick for 4 years has become really repetitive: do something else now, Breaking Bad, stop being so boring and repetitive'.

Game of Thrones was never 'Trope Subversion: The Show' and if 'reinventing itself' means that it has to break every single fantasy genre convention that exists just for the sake of it and not because the story demands it, I am glad that it did not do as you all suggested (hey, you know what would subvert conventions? If a bastard like Ramsay Snow turned out to be the saviour of the world, wouldn't that be awesome? Heck no, that'd be awful). That would have been painfully obvious and would have undercut a lot of the big thematic heft the show is going for. And being needlessly bleak and hopless is not the ending that Martin had in mind for his story anyway: bittersweet is the word here and if the occasional victory of some of our protagonists (Arya, Sansa, Cersei, Tyrion) getting what they want or surviving some battle (Jon, Davos) is too optimistic for you, I don't know what show you were watching because this was never 'Nihilism: The Show' either. It acquired that reputation because people were focusing on the presentation of the violence instead of thinking about its meaning. In fact, if the show got more optimistic about humanity's chances that might be a reinvention to many who were watching it and think of it as a nihilistic show.

So yeah, if you think this show is about who between Cersei, Dany and Jon gets to park their butt on the Iron Throne, I'm afraid you missed the point. The show's nature is what it is and it does what it does well enough in my opinion.

This is what happens when you put all of your measly existence on this planet on a single stake. I see it because I was it, couple of times, and it's just the worst. My advice is gtfo before it's too late and grab a beer, or two.

And yeah if you still think after all this time that someone actually gives a fuck and is willing to read all of that, you're wrong.

Save yourself.

m4st4 wrote:This is what happens when you put all of your measly existence on this planet on a single stake. I see it because I was it, couple of times, and it's just the worst. My advice is gtfo before it's too late and grab a beer, or two.

And yeah if you still think after all this time that someone actually gives a fuck and is willing to read all of that, you're wrong.

Save yourself.
Thanks but I'm fine. Read it or don't read it, respond or don't respond. What you choose to do with your time is none of my business.

According to Deadline, the new trailer has now been viewed over 60 million times since its debut, across digital platforms such as YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. In the hours since its release, the video has become the most viewed TV trailer of all time in a twenty-four hour period.
http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thron ... ng-record/