Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
People like to dunk on Jessica Chastain but what she said
about the use of rape in these stories is so true.
I'm not even interested in reading the books anymore now.

Artemis wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 3:03 pm
People like to dunk on Jessica Chastain but what she said
about the use of rape in these stories is so true.
I'm not even interested in reading the books anymore now.
There's a great written piece by Gretchen Felker-Martin about the way Game of Thrones depicts sexual violence and what it means for the story both in the books and the show: https://blog.vrv.co/felker-martin/5402/ ... f-thrones/

Demoph wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 3:01 pm
Artemis wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 2:44 pm
https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188 ... 56102?s=19

D&D did a Q&A at Austin Film Fest yesterday.

Some of these answers are just kinda appalling....
Which one? I don't really get all the hateful comments following the Q&A, some are even pretty anti-semite imo.
I think the ones about them casually admitting they had no experience at all and were kind of "idk what we're doing" were appalling to me.

Artemis wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Demoph wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 3:01 pm
Artemis wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 2:44 pm
https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188 ... 56102?s=19

D&D did a Q&A at Austin Film Fest yesterday.

Some of these answers are just kinda appalling....
Which one? I don't really get all the hateful comments following the Q&A, some are even pretty anti-semite imo.
I think the ones about them casually admitting they had no experience at all and were kind of "idk what we're doing" were appalling to me.
I think they're being self-depreciative, they did know what they were doing. Also, it is true that it was their first job as showrunner. But their answer about how they "learn by doing" concerned necessarily mostly the first seasons (also all the examples they give of rewriting concern season 1). Obviously by season 3 or 4, they had mastered most of the abilities needed and were able to do the show they wanted, that appealed to the people they wanted (they have been open about having had too much sex and violence in Season 1 and 2, and the fact they reduced "sexposition" as time went by.)
And I don't think the people who made the hateful comments understood how much they were talking about the first season, because these people mostly love the first season. So whether they knew where they were heading or not, it's obvious they did a great job with season one.

On a side note, Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David also had no idea how to make a TV-show. And their show turned out Ok. The Monty Python had no idea what show they would do when they pitched to BBC and it also turned out Ok.

Yeah I got that they were being self deprecating it just came off really bad and the timing was bad too.

The revisionism going on now about early GOT is a little ridiculous imo. Many showrunners / filmmakers have talked candidly about "making it up as they went along" due to inexperience. Recently in "Prestige TV," Sam Esmail, Nic Pizzolatto, Joe Weisberg, Donald Glover, Phoebe Waller-Bridge have all expressed similar things.

D&D have 100% made serious missteps in how they handled GOT, but now we're criticizing their S1-S3 approach to some of the most acclaimed and beloved seasons of TV? As prince said to me on FB, If people loved S7 and S8 (which, they just won best drama at the emmy's) they'd have sounded straight up humble.

-Vader

They have told the story about how they had no experience when they shot the pilot for years at this point, which was a big factor in why the pilot ended up being the mess that it appears to have been. I'm just surprised that apparently people had not heard that story until now because I had assumed it was public knowledge at this point that these guys became showrunners without much experience in tv. They learned on the job and some of that work gave us some wonderful, jaw-dropping moments of tv. I also know that some great people are being denied opportunities on a regular basis and that sucks.

By the way, Watchers on the Wall has the audio of the Austin panel, alongside with their own article writing down what was actually said in case you can't stand to hear D&D's voices: http://watchersonthewall.com/benioff-we ... -festival/

Someone on reddit posted the Sopranos ending but in GoT lol, it was something like this:
Jon is having a drink in a bar while The Rains of Castamere plays. Daenerys has trouble parking Drogon. And just as she comes in Jon looks up and cut to black.
I mean lol I can't get that picture out of my head now :lol: :lol: :lol: