Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 3:18 pm
I'm completely baffled people are mad at the prospect of Dany going Mad Queen.

Do people forget she had to be talked out of actual genocide in seasons 6 and 7 and now season 8?

Do people forget she had a "join or die" policy that ruthlessly killed prisoners of war?

On the other hand, it is completely bizarre to me
that Varys and Tyrion are suddenly turning against her. By going North, she demonstrated she'll place the Realm's interests above her own to the point she risked losing everything for the greater good.

They probably just didn't have time to develop this arc for it to make sense so here we are.

-Vader
That's because Dany fans have always look at her through rose colored glasses and now they're blindsided. They weren't paying attention and are delusional. I don't think Tyrion has turned...yet.

I have a lot of issues with the show currently, the Dany arch is not one of them. I also saw it coming from a mile away.

What is everyone's thoughts on all this? I am a pretty liberal guy but....
@jes_chastain @jes_chastain
Rape is not a tool to make a character stronger. A woman doesn’t need to be victimized in order to become a butterfly. The #littlebird was always a Phoenix. Her prevailing strength is solely because of her. And her alone.
#GameOfThrones
lmfao at trying to promote your shitty X-Men movie with this bad tweet. Complete misunderstanding of the scene. Sansa was saying EVERYTHING she went through brought her to who she is now...which is true. She rose above it. It's no different than what Bran said to Theon "everything you've done brought you to where you are now...home". Also maybe...in general we shouldn’t tell people how they should react to sexual assault?
Ava DuVernay@ava

So... the one and only sister on the whole epic, years-long series? That’s what you wanna do? Okay. #GOT
So the treatment most characters get? She was lucky to last this long in this cruel world.
‘Game of Thrones’ Reached a New Low In ‘The Last of the Starks’ When It Came to Its Depictions of Women
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/game- ... 202131709/

I think Daenerys gets a whole lot of shit over her recently in rapid tempo and I feel bad for her. We'll just have to see if Daenerys really will end up becoming the Mad Queen or if she won't. There's plenty of arguments to be made for either choice. I think she's one of the most compelling characters on the show and I much prefer all the tumult she's going through once she got to Westeros than having to spent another season in Essos... Even Martin didn't know how to handle her arc in the second book and went on too long in Slaver's Bay, too.

It really is true what they say, whenever a Targaryen is born the Gods flip a coin. We'll just have to see which side Daenerys will land on. Jon definitely is a good one lol albeit too honest for his own good. That's what got Ned killed...
Anyway, Clarke is acing it. In fact, the performances are fantastic all season. I think some of them are delivering their best work of the entire show.

I've never been the biggest fan of her acting throughout the show, but Clarke has been consistently incredible for both Season 7 and 8.

BlairCo wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 6:37 pm
I've never been the biggest fan of her acting throughout the show, but Clarke has been consistently incredible for both Season 7 and 8.
I haven’t either as many know but she’s been pretty great this season.

Allstar wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 3:46 pm
What is everyone's thoughts on all this? I am a pretty liberal guy but....
@jes_chastain @jes_chastain
Rape is not a tool to make a character stronger. A woman doesn’t need to be victimized in order to become a butterfly. The #littlebird was always a Phoenix. Her prevailing strength is solely because of her. And her alone.
#GameOfThrones
lmfao at trying to promote your shitty X-Men movie with this bad tweet. Complete misunderstanding of the scene. Sansa was saying EVERYTHING she went through brought her to who she is now...which is true. She rose above it. It's no different than what Bran said to Theon "everything you've done brought you to where you are now...home". Also maybe...in general we shouldn’t tell people how they should react to sexual assault?
Ava DuVernay@ava

So... the one and only sister on the whole epic, years-long series? That’s what you wanna do? Okay. #GOT
So the treatment most characters get? She was lucky to last this long in this cruel world.
‘Game of Thrones’ Reached a New Low In ‘The Last of the Starks’ When It Came to Its Depictions of Women
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/game- ... 202131709/
That's why Rotten Tomatoes score shouldn't be taken seriously. It in no way deserves such a low rating. There is certainly a couple worse episodes in early parts of season 5, 6, and 7.

So many of the negative reviews are from people projecting their own social issues in our society onto the world of Game of Thrones. There is many female critics and pundits attacking the show for the above reason, in regards, to the #metoo movement and toxic masculinity, and they post that off as review without actually commenting on story, plot, character development, or technical aspects of said episode.

This just furthers my opinion that professional criticism is basically dead and personal biases rule how people review media.

So on Dany being the mad queen. I, and probably many other people on the internet being chafed at the prospect of Dany ending up like her father don't really have a problem with the final outcome - it would make for an interesting character, and what personify what Martin refers to the conflict within the human heart with Dany's good intentions and all - but rather in the contrived manner the show is going about it, using double standards and having characters act out of manner to achieve this end. The sudden about turn in the last two seasons, and this one in particular regarding Dany's actions, and how characters perceive her prove this. I haven't read the book but apparently G.R.R. Martin did a much better job of foreshadowing this outcome, and making it explicit, in the books. I really hope the writers of the show have a satisfying end for Dany's arc but rumblings on the internet do not portend good news.

Anyway, Lili Loofbourow goes much in-depth regarding this issue here:
https://slate.com/culture/2019/04/game- ... -trap.html

and here:
https://slate.com/culture/2019/05/game- ... tarks.html

I REALLLLLY don't get the hate for this episode. I thought it was the best one this season thus far.

The opening is stellar with great writing, character interactions and what's being said with just images. Daenerys' loneliness in the North really hit in this episode and now with most of her allies gone I truly don't blame her character arc to be heading where it is heading.

Also Jon being a fuck up is part of the course for his character. I remember the commentary for the Battle of Winterfell where D&D said we were counting on Jon to be the hero again and I was like "when was he actually the hero?". You could say he saved people at Hardhome but that was also a defeat. Battle of the Bastards was won by Sansa and Littlefinger, etc. I know he's the hero of the story but he hasn't had a truly winning moment thus far and he does make a lot of mistakes.

I really loved what they did with Jaime here. I thought it's really true to his character and actually I have my idea what he's going to do but his decisions could actually go either way and it would still make sense. He's such a conflicted character.

And also Tyrion and Varys finally have something of importance to do.
And seeing Greyworm and Missandei was heart crushing
All in all, this episode set all the right pieces for a great next episode while also having important events happen in this one instead of just being a set up.

Duvernay and Chastain are ridiculous with their criticisms and I echo what was said about their projecting their politics into this rather than actually critiquing the episode based on the merits. Unfortunately, this is the direction we are headed when it comes to film criticism. If you look at Rotten Tomatoes and the publications that these "critics" are affilated with, it looks like nothing more than feminist and leftist publications such as 'Lainey Gossip,' and 'Vox.'