Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
this is the best defense of the episode I've read, although it doesn't "fix" the biggest issues I've personally always had with it. The battle tactics and
Arya
stuff don't bother me since they make plenty of sense.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/ ... /?sort=top

something a lot of people are missing is that the
battle of winterfell is similar to the battle of the black gate in the return of the king, it's all a bit of a ruse so the night king goes to Bran. They're luring the NK in.

-Vader

Yeah, but the average rating of what score the critic gives to the episode works out to 8.97 out of 10. Still very high. So like a lot of social media, most people like it, but a few more than usual critics were disappointed. Also, reading many of the negative reviews, well, they are quite poor in making a point. They read like glorified blogs of upset fans that their long-held fan theories didn't come true. Rotten Tomatoes should have higher standards of what site/critic reviews they accept.

I like this article from "Hollywood Reporter" which pretty much sums up what Game of Thrones is up against:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/basta ... ium=social
Last edited by radewart on May 4th, 2019, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I was hoping for a base hit ending from D&D at least. I wasn’t putting that much importance in the ending for my appréciation of the show in general.

With what just happened they need a walk-out grand slam.

That episode may just have killed any rewatch in the future. Let’s hope for some more context in the last 4 hours

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 10:50 pm
I was hoping for a base hit ending from D&D at least. I wasn’t putting that much importance in the ending for my appréciation of the show in general.

That episode may just have killed any rewatch in the future. Let’s hope for some more context in the last 4 hours
Honest question: Did "The Dark Knight Rises" lessen your enjoyment of "The Dark Knight" and "Batman Begins?"

I still can't wrap my head around how bad this episode was.
Where the hell was the other White Walkers and it never show them doing anything. So does it means when the Night King die every other White Walkers also die? Or D&D is going to make some crap up that the baby White Walker is still alive with maybe other White Walkers behind the wall? Since I don't remember much about the White Walkers from the book. Seems like from the show the Night King can only convert newborns into White Walkers.
Last edited by LEXX on May 5th, 2019, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, that reminded me of why I stopped watching the show the first time early on (coming to it as a faithful ASOIAF book fan).

radewart wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 11:09 pm
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
May 4th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Honest question: Did "The Dark Knight Rises" lessen your enjoyment of "The Dark Knight" and "Batman Begins?"
It's a great movie, rated higher than BB by critics and fans alike, so I don't see how it would.

I hesitated to post in Controversial opinion, and I still have issues with this last episode,
I did get the feeling "so that's it?" at the end
, but yet it's a joy to watch, there are so many great moments, and, that's the controversial part, it almost reminded me of Dunkirk in its use of suspens and horror (although different horror) to move an action story into a survival story. It reduces dialogue to the bare minimum even more than Dunkirk
(I think the line from Davos "she can't see us" is the only time the dialogue is stating something that could be understand though the visuals, the rest of the time, Sapochnik is only telling the story through visuals)
, and except for that one theme, Dwajadi's music was much reminiscent of Zimmer's work with Nolan (Dunkirk and the Joker theme mostly). I guess you could name many other films than Dunkirk, but it definitely didn't feel like LOTR, nor did it try, and I think we hoped too much for a Helm's deep 2.0. It was never supposed to be that.
My favourite moment: from Arya starting to fight until Lyanna Mormont'death. Love how it intercuts between Arya, Clegane/Beric and Lyanna. And that shot of Lyanna attacking with a broken leg a giant just makes me cry.