Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Guys..
remember what Miguel said, episode 3, 4 and 5 are like one story.

Dany is too confident in the preview for episode 4. Cersei is going to wipe most of them out. They won this battle, they’re not strong enough to win the next one. They’re exhausted, injured, and not many of them are left tbh. They’re also underestimating WHAT Cersei has when it comes to her army, and wildfire. Dany is a goner as far as I’m concerned.

I wouldn’t be surprised if episode 6 begins with a time jump after Cersei has won. Longer hair, possibly even a child with her (if she hasn’t lost the baby). Yara will kill Euron for sure. The Hound and the Mountain will fight and both die. If Jaime doesn’t kill Cersei, it will be Sansa with her blade that Arya gave her.

@Law yep, Dwajadi's work on Westworld 1x10 and 2x8 is very strong.
@Vader: more thant the addition of things in this episode,
it's also the accumulation of satisfying character moments since season 6: in this last episode, Sam was the only character who didn't have a satisfying arc (I think it was great he survived: it showed how unfair war is).
@Jaws_fan: my fanfiction:
Bran takes control of the two dragons and has them come to the godswood, NK notices one and kills him, which allows the second one to sneak in. Then cut to Bran: "Dracarys" and all the godswood go in flames, including Bran, and all the WW protecting the NK and as the flames fade, Arya can jump on the NK, and kill him.
Also, down in the crypt, when Tyrion says he could notice something the others don't, he suddenly realises the crypt isn't safe, and they evacuate the crypt (the last leaving as the dead rise from their graves, and being slaughtered), and big chase through the castle, in which they meet the survivors from the assault (Brienne, Jaime...), who've been able to leave the courtyard, and barricade themselves in the castle. As the door break and they're all about to die, Arya jumps. The barricade allows more character moments between Jaime and Tyrion, Jaime and Brienne, etc... And of course Tyrion and Sansa run together through the castle, 'cause I think them getting closer is going to play an important part in the next episodes.

I'm all caught up. The only thing I can say...
RIP Ser Jorah, my favourite GOT character.

Never been so torn on an episode of anything before. It was such an epic episode but yet I feel so disappointed.

It really does feel like D&D has blown it for themselves by
making such a big deal out of the Night King, so much so that it was impossible to deal with it all in the end.

I just hope there is more to Bran before the end. I'm gonna be really fucking mad if it isn't.
Also, how is the streaming quality for you US guys? I swear the HBO Nordic app doesn't even do 720p, which makes the dark scenes even worse to look at. The app being so trash is a fucking disaster

Visually this episode was stunning and beautiful.
But
Night King execution felt so cheap... If this is indeed an ending to this plot I will be mad also.

I'm still very mixed on the resolution of the mythological aspects, but on rewatch anyway (and with a much clearer presentation) I can say the battle itself rivals Hardhome / BOB for me. Couldn't be more satisfied as far as that goes.

Hope Miguel directs D&Ds Star Wars.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 9:30 pm
Jorah and Theon are relatively minor compared to:

Jon/Dany/Tyrion/Arya/Sansa/Jaime

Tormund isn't major, Brienne isn't either I would argue, but they are both people we see repeatedly nearly die and inexplicably live.

As I say, the lack of cost of the War for the Dawn / Long Night amplifies the "that's it?" feeling of Arya singlehandedly killing the Night King and dispensing with decades of theorizing in the process. It's a blip on the radar of the characters and Westeros as a whole.

Bit of a weird anti-climax, no?

-Vader
I honestly can't care for this argument. In the end, once this is over, you can watch it in a decent amount of time and all that time (literally decades) to theorise won't come to fruition. Not to forget, there are only so many ways such an arc could've ended and in the end we got only one of those. This is how they ended the White Walker storyline and the more I think about how they led up to it and did it, the more satisfying I think it is. It didn't came out of nowhere when you consider Arya's arc nor how much a role everyone at Winterfell played to actually get this far against the war against the undead. Hell, it's just like what Bran said to Theon. Everything he did led to that moment. He, Jorah and everyone else played their part in this battle and it worked. Like I said, the more I think about it the better I actually think it is.

And let's be honest, isn't it much more interesting to have the second half of the season (taking the episode runtimes into consideration, technically slightly more than half of the season) focus on all the living? Like Tyrion said, death is so final while life is full of possibilities. I know it's a bit of a stretch because the undead on this show have caused quite a stir, but having these characters deal with the aftermath of defeating the undead having their armies been greatly decimated and having to deal with a much stronger enemy (Cersei and Euron). Not to forget how season 8 showed us the Daenerys/Sansa friction, Jon and Daenerys both knowing the truth about who's the rightful heir and so on. To me, having dealt with the Night King now already makes the latter episodes all the more intriguing. To be honest, the vast majority of the show was about the living dealing with each other and while each season it was more and more about dealing with the undead, in the end it's they who are left and the show can fully focus on them now.

Nomis wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 4:56 pm
Vader182 wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 9:30 pm
Jorah and Theon are relatively minor compared to:

Jon/Dany/Tyrion/Arya/Sansa/Jaime

Tormund isn't major, Brienne isn't either I would argue, but they are both people we see repeatedly nearly die and inexplicably live.

As I say, the lack of cost of the War for the Dawn / Long Night amplifies the "that's it?" feeling of Arya singlehandedly killing the Night King and dispensing with decades of theorizing in the process. It's a blip on the radar of the characters and Westeros as a whole.

Bit of a weird anti-climax, no?

-Vader
I honestly can't care for this argument. In the end, once this is over, you can watch it in a decent amount of time and all that time (literally decades) to theorise won't come to fruition. Not to forget, there are only so many ways such an arc could've ended and in the end we got only one of those. This is how they ended the White Walker storyline and the more I think about how they led up to it and did it, the more satisfying I think it is. It didn't came out of nowhere when you consider Arya's arc nor how much a role everyone at Winterfell played to actually get this far against the war against the undead. Hell, it's just like what Bran said to Theon. Everything he did led to that moment. He, Jorah and everyone else played their part in this battle and it worked. Like I said, the more I think about it the better I actually think it is.

And let's be honest, isn't it much more interesting to have the second half of the season (taking the episode runtimes into consideration, technically slightly more than half of the season) focus on all the living? Like Tyrion said, death is so final while life is full of possibilities. I know it's a bit of a stretch because the undead on this show have caused quite a stir, but having these characters deal with the aftermath of defeating the undead having their armies been greatly decimated and having to deal with a much stronger enemy (Cersei and Euron). Not to forget how season 8 showed us the Daenerys/Sansa friction, Jon and Daenerys both knowing the truth about who's the rightful heir and so on. To me, having dealt with the Night King now already makes the latter episodes all the more intriguing. To be honest, the vast majority of the show was about the living dealing with each other and while each season it was more and more about dealing with the undead, in the end it's they who are left and the show can fully focus on them now.
I think you can have the same character die and have it feel better, it's just hard to buy that Jaime with his worst hand would hold something like say 5 minutes against fifty dead. Or Podrick.
Hijvu said it best in the making-of: in most takes, one of the stunt ended up killing him... In LOTR, there is one moment that doesn't make sense in Helm's deep: it's that with so many Uruk hai around them they wouldn't stay alive until Gandalf and Eomer join them. But the way it's cut just makes you forget that, and just enjoy Gandalf's charge. It probably was the same for many people with Brienne, Jaime... but I can't completely buy it. It's just a subjective feeling that you get on first viewing, and there's no fighting it. Have less dead, have more living fighting with them... Change something.

But yeah, the WW did offer us a 80 minute battle!! So they weren't hyped for no reason. This episode will look better with time. I'm curious to know how the people who'll watch all eight season for the first time in a row, and haven't had time to anticipate anything will feel about it. They'll likely like it better.

I had a lot of mixed feelings after the initial watch. But on a rewatch, I enjoyed it a lot more (also with some adjustments to the TV settings). I stopped anticipating what I wanted the episode to be and just accepted it for what it was. I don't get people criticizing that it wasn't visually impactful enough. There was plenty of great shots and action pieces. It had great atmosphere to it, a chaotic, claustrophobic horror flick.

Still ticked about a few bits though. What really was the point of Bran? And I was hoping to see the other White Walkers do something besides stand around, like fight against some of our heroes, such as, Jamie, The Hound, Tormund.

In fairness,
Jaime himself said in episode 2 it would be stupid for them to expose themselves. It would’ve been cool though.

-Vader