Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LelekPL wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 9:39 am
DHOPW42 wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 8:38 am
Ruth wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 7:22 am
Not sure what others are onto, what did y'all expect lol. I think this is definitely one of the best recent examples of "fans spending years making up theories and fantasizing, blowing things out of proportions" backfiring gloriously and biting them back in the ass. But I do need to process some things myself too.
Anyone has the right to their opinions, so I don't want to take that away, but it indeed seems like this and Endgame is bringing out... the worst in the most adamant fans :D It seems like these two (and Star Wars maybe??) are proving it on the biggest canvas possible how "hype culture" is derailing fan experiences.

(I know this is not the first time a highly anticipated TV show episode or franchise ending movie comes out and divides audiences, right now I'm thinking of the final episode of Lost... just saying that it's quite the coincidence that we had this battle and Endgame on the same weekend)
Has EndGame received any serious backlash, though? I think that other than the inconsistencies of the second act, it was universally praised, especially among the fans.
That's right.

DHOPW42 wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 8:38 am
Ruth wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 7:22 am
Not sure what others are onto, what did y'all expect lol. I think this is definitely one of the best recent examples of "fans spending years making up theories and fantasizing, blowing things out of proportions" backfiring gloriously and biting them back in the ass. But I do need to process some things myself too.
Anyone has the right to their opinions, so I don't want to take that away, but it indeed seems like this and Endgame is bringing out... the worst in the most adamant fans :D It seems like these two (and Star Wars maybe??) are proving it on the biggest canvas possible how "hype culture" is derailing fan experiences.

(I know this is not the first time a highly anticipated TV show episode or franchise ending movie comes out and divides audiences, right now I'm thinking of the final episode of Lost... just saying that it's quite the coincidence that we had this battle and Endgame on the same weekend)
You’re right. Usually there’s a very fine line between fans being very invested into something and fans feeling very entitled to said show or film, having a sense of ownership and expecting things to happen exactly how they’ve theorized. Apparently not that many people know how to balance that line.

As for Endgame, if there isn’t immediate backlash, usually there’s a cycle of a few months, so you just wait. Usually I love ridiculous circlejerks, but saw some bitch about people having emotional experiences while watching a very emotional film. Sooo...it’ll happen sooner or later.

The amount of effort that went into making this episode is insane! :shock:

I suppose it’s an act of subversion worthy of the show’s first three seasons; it was a staggering achievement in action-driven direction with nauseating tension throughout, really leading one to believe that all is truly lost multiple times before culminating on a final act that makes one want to stand up and cheer... and it’s still a major disappointment.

They should have send Bran to King's Landing if that were the case. D&D is a one trick pony. They build the event up in this episode to make it seems someone is coming out as a hero with the stupid 10 seconds countdown but nothing came of it. The real MVP was Melisandre.

Wait, that was it? lol. This is not even good fanfiction at this rate.£

Honestly overall I really enjoyed it. The battle was grueling and despairing and that's kinda how it had to be.

but
I kinda wish more important people died, like how interesting would it have been if it were Jayme who defended and died for Bran?

I'm surprised they ended the wight walker threat so "early" in the season, I really though it would come down to the wire

My honest take is that the issues are compounded.
I’m still not happy it resolves with such an anti-climax or so many people survived and I think the problems are related. The feeling of “That’s it” with Arya killing him “so easily” (which is a directorial issue more than a narrative one imo), not to mention the brushing aside of a decade of theorizing and prophecy, and that feeling is compounded by the lack of cost to defeat the NK in general, compared to, say, the red and purple weddings wrapping up the war with the five kings.

There's no major deaths, which is confusing when the direction of the action made it seem as though Jaime, Brienne, Sam, Tormund and so on were goners for sure, OR that the episode teased Jon and Dany dying multiple times each. It plays with our expectations a little too much to the point it ultimately undermines the "That's it" feeling.
As I say, I'm going to have to see how the rest of the season plays out to see how I feel, which is a shame since the rest of the episode was mostly amazing.

PS I don't think any of this is "Fan Service" whatsoever.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 2:21 pm
PS I don't think any of this is "Fan Service" whatsoever.
-Vader
Well each death was exactly how the fans wanted that character to go.
It would be an amazing episode in any show, it would even be an amazing film in whichever franchise. Sapochnik did an amazing work on most of it. As for the photography, that so many are condemning, many shots were just gorgeous. And yet it was underwhelming.
Is it the fault of the writers or of the director?
Sapochnik stated he wanted the audience to forget about Arya and focus on Jon and I don't think this choice paid off. But the writing is definitely going downhill since season 5, probably because they don't rely on G.R.R Martin as much as before. The show is like Tyrion, when Tyrion is dumb, the show makes dumb decision, and when Tyrion is intelligent the writing is much better... It was kind of teased that Tyrion would be more intelligent in the next three episodes, so here's to hoping D&D offer us a great finale.
@Ruth, I disagree on the music, I thought it was Dwajadi's second masterpiece after Winds of winter.

My "that's it" problems is not so much about
Night King dying so easily in the end, rather than how such a fascinating tale of unpredictable storylines and unorthodox turns and twists has led to a battle of good vs evil where the archvillain is conveniently defeated in the crucial moment right before all hope is lost.
It's not about what I wanted to happen. This is not what the show itself has been promising over the years.£