Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I dunno. I bet if you did the math Season 7 has as many pure character beats than previous seasons in proportion to overall content. There's just so many storylines and so many characters, juggling them all in such little time makes a lot of the season feel fleeting and strangely paced.

Characters that ordinarily might bond slowly over many scenes now must bond quickly over a couple scenes, etc. But the actual amount of character driven stuff is as central as it ever was. Just think of Episode 6. 80% of that episode's content was characters talking about shared experiences, etc.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 5:55 pm
I dunno. I bet if you did the math Season 7 has as many pure character beats than previous seasons in proportion to overall content. There's just so many storylines and so many characters, juggling them all in such little time makes a lot of the season feel fleeting and strangely paced.

Characters that ordinarily might bond slowly over many scenes now must bond quickly over a couple scenes, etc. But the actual amount of character driven stuff is as central as it ever was. Just think of Episode 6. 80% of that episode's content was characters talking about shared experiences, etc.

-Vader
Yeah... There was certainly some whiplash going on.

Perhaps I was also a little disappointed that nothing in the penultimate season hit the same high as that glorious opening to "The Winds of Winter".

I just hope Season 7 will be remembered as the awkward transition to the endgame where D&D had to invent tons of stuff to place characters where GRRM has told them they would be.

Sapochnik + GRRM saying that S8 is based on much of the original endgame plan (and today's article confirm that whatever big battle is coming will be the same climax in the books) gives me hope for an epic ending.

The drama builds to a confrontation with the Army of the Dead that’s expected to be the most sustained action sequence ever made for television or film. One episode — the same that Benioff and Weiss were concerned about pulling off so many years ago — is wall-to-wall action, courtesy of “Battle of the Bastards” director Miguel Sapochnik.
Sapochnik about to enter god status

That battle episode is going to be insane. And long, hopefully.

In the end, season 7 felt a lot like they wanted to put everyone in the right spot for season 8 to take off with. Which is fine, I feel like season 8 has got a proper basis with all that happened at the end of season 7.

So excited that Sapochnik directed two episodes of this season, his episodes all belong to the best of the series.

Details for the first episode of season 8:
"Season 8 opens at Winterfell with an episode that contains plenty of callbacks to the show’s pilot. Instead of King Robert’s procession arriving, it’s Daenerys and her army. What follows is a thrilling and tense intermingling of characters — some of whom have never previously met, many who have messy histories — as they all prepare to face the inevitable invasion of the Army of the Dead."
Love it, making it reminiscent of the shows first episode is really cool.

Returns April 2019.

Sooner than I thought tbh, I'll take it.

-Vader