Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
shauner111 wrote:If it was one spinoff then i would say OK, but coming right out with "yeah we got 4 in the works". That just reeks of cash grab, milk this universe until everyone is sick of it. Not into this. Especially with different people in charge.
I don't think that's likely to happen, seeing as there are a lot of different periods and events they can adapt and so they do not have to be connected in any way, which might help them stand on their own. Also, from what I understood, they are merely floating around 4 possible spin-offs so I don't think they will make each and every one of those four a continuous series. Perhaps 3 miniseries and 1 long-term project? I could see the latter option being the case actually, since Marin is involved in 2 of those and if he wants to finish his books he might be able to just write for 2 self-contained miniseries (Dunk & Egg and the Dance of Dragons would be my guess here).

Let's face it, GOT was HBOs biggest hit in years and since they don't have anything else THAT iconic lined up they're trying to make us of the rights to the ASOIAF universe they acquired from Martin because they think it will help them create another iconic and unique show. Will it be great tv? It could be but there was nothing on tv that GOT could be compared to when it first started, being a very serious and adult-oriented fantasy show, of which there are not many. With these spin-offs we now have a point of comparison in terms of scope and quality: GOT.

Who seriously thinks that HBO is going to develop all 4 shows? I think they are just trying to get the best possible concept on air, so this is going to be survival of the finest (spinoff).

1) Robert's rebellion
2) Aegon's conquest
3) Dance of the Dragons
4) Post-ASOIAF

??? :think:

Mahiya_Borden wrote:Robert's rebellion
That's my guess.

Mahiya_Borden wrote:1) Robert's rebellion
2) Aegon's conquest
3) Dance of the Dragons
4) Post-ASOIAF

??? :think:
I think 4) could be Dunk and Egg maybe? That one would be a cool miniseries.

One of the spinoffs needs to be Better Call Varys

George has no interest in a Robert's Rebellion series.

I'm more than cool with spin-off shows. Is it a cash grab? Sure, but so is everything else. So I don't get that "hipster" argument.

Could it be bad? Maybe. But maybe it could be great. And if it's bad what's the harm, really? We can stop watching it. If it's good or great we have new shows to look forward to.

Batfan175 wrote:I think 4) could be Dunk and Egg maybe? That one would be a cool miniseries.
Pathetic cash grab.

Allstar wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:I think 4) could be Dunk and Egg maybe? That one would be a cool miniseries.
Pathetic cash grab.
They learned it from Disney.