HBO's Game of Thrones

All non-Nolan related entertainment discussion. Join the fun!
Batfan175 wrote:Funny how the actors who played Joffrey, Robb and Jon all were a prominent part of the pre-show promotional campaigns for the seasons in which they died. Liam Cunningham has been particularly present this year with lots of interviews before the season started...
SHUT UP!

Game of Thrones: Battle of the Bastards tease shows Jon Snow fury
The biggest battle in the history of Westeros – that we’ve ever witnessed, at least – is happening this Sunday on HBO’s Game of Thrones, and EW has some preview details on the eagerly awaited Battle of the Bastards. Above is an exclusive photo of Jon Snow on the battlefield, Longclaw in hand, and it looks like he’s channeling some serious war-rage as he prepares to take on the forces of fellow bastard Ramsay Bolton.

The hour (literally an hour; the episode is 60 minutes long) is directed by Miguel Sapochnik, who last season helmed the stunning “Hardhome.”

“Every battle on Thrones is unique,” Sapochnik tells us. “I think that’s why [showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss] keep doing them. In the case of ‘Battle of the Bastards’ – or ‘BOB’ as we affectionately called it in production – David and Dan wanted to do a thing of spectacle, a strategic pitchfield battle they hadn’t had the resources to do back in season 1 or 2. I was particularly interested in depicting both the horror of war and the roll of luck in battle.”

The result required 25 days of filming, with 500 extras, 600 crew members and 70 horses – horses, by the way, are “not easy at all” to coordinate in a battle sequence, notes Benioff, which is why they’re rarely used except in big budget war films.

“Miguel did such a fantastic job with ‘Hardhome’ last season, we thought we should bring him back, this time with horses,” Benioff says. “He’s pulled off some of the best shots on the show.”

Adds Weiss: “Miguel’s really outdone himself. Fully fleshed out medieval battles require a tremendous amount of resources and choreography to get them right. It feels like we’re doing something fresh that you don’t see on TV and movies very often.”

"Game of Thrones’ biggest battle ever"...that's a big claim and a tall order. Let's see if the episode makes it feel like that, though judging from the preview it would not surprise me if it were indeed the biggest battle of the show so far.

Game of Thrones: Ramsay Bolton actor teases his Jon Snow face-off
The actor behind the biggest villain on Game of Thrones can’t wait for Sunday’s epic “Battle of the Bastards.”

Iwan Rheon, who plays the sadistic Ramsay Bolton on HBO’s hit series, tells EW he’s long wanted his character to face off against Jon Snow.

“Anyone who has asked me, ‘Who would you like Ramsay to meet?’ My answer has always been, ‘Jon Snow,’” Rheon says. “He’s the antithesis of Ramsay. They’re almost a yin and a yang. They both come from such a similar place yet they’re so different. And even though they’re enemies, they’ve both risen so far as bastards, which is almost incomprehensible, and now they’re both here facing each other. They couldn’t be any more different, yet more similar.”

Precisely: Both characters’ fathers are lords of great houses, yet their mothers were low-born (at least allegedly). Both men managed to quickly elevate their status through their wartime actions – Ramsay quite intentionally, driven by his brutally selfish lust for power, and Snow as a byproduct of his instinctual drive to protect others. Now they’re each improbably leading an army on a collision course, with Ramsay’s host totaling many more thousands than Snow’s. The stakes: Ownership of Winterfell, rule of The North, and their very lives.

I've always said that the Boltons were the anti-Starks of the story.

Batfan175 wrote:I've always said that the Boltons were the anti-Starks of the story.
What a genius observation by you.

Yes, brilliant, considering the Boltons and Starks have been at odds with one another since the First Men, and the practice of flaying came about due to the Stark's skinchanging ability.

Allstar wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:I've always said that the Boltons were the anti-Starks of the story.
What a genius observation by you.
I'd say it's a good point made by an actor on the show, since the show could have decided to drop or downplay that element, since the Boltons are unlikely to be end-game antagonists in the books.

eGregiovs wrote:Yes, brilliant, considering the Boltons and Starks have been at odds with one another since the First Men, and the practice of flaying came about due to the Stark's skinchanging ability.
The show has not mentioned any of this though, yet they got the ideas Rheon mentioned across to the audience anyway.

eGregiovs wrote:Yes, brilliant, considering the Boltons and Starks have been at odds with one another since the First Men, and the practice of flaying came about due to the Stark's skinchanging ability.
What's your source regarding this? AFAIK, the Boltons have been flaying people right from the beginning, even before their war with the Starks. It is true that they have flayed atleast a few Starks and are rumoured to keep their skins in a secret chamber in the Dreadfort, but nowhere have I read that the Boltons started flaying because of the Starks' skinchanging ability. It's a nice theory though, I'll give you that.