Your Home Theater Setup

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
When I finally buy a home and settle down I might get a cool home theater but right now I'm a single guy that moves around and doesn't like to hold on to a lot of possessions. I like having the movie theater be my movie going experience. It makes me appreciate going to the theater more. I'm not sure how much I support theater systems becoming more attainable to the public. I like that feeling of going out to the movies. It keeps it more sacred for me. And while the popularity of IMAX gives me hope I fear for the future of actually going to the cinema.

Well, going to the movies is pretty sacred to me (it's like a second home, I have an unlimited pass, so spending a lot of time there), I know that I will never forget some of my first viewings there. On the other side, I hate people talking, eating, drinking during the movie, making noise, even seeing other people in the room, it's distracting to me, I also hate the shitty music that they're playing in my theater before the movie, the shitty commercials. I'm giddy when they play good trailers though.

Overall, I'm getting a better experience quality wise at home than at the movies, no question about it. But I value the two a lot.

Jax_Teller wrote:Well, going to the movies is pretty sacred to me (it's like a second home, I have an unlimited pass, so spending a lot of time there), I know that I will never forget some of my first viewings there. On the other side, I hate people talking, eating, drinking during the movie, making noise, even seeing other people in the room, it's distracting to me, I also hate the shitty music that they're playing in my theater before the movie, the shitty commercials. I'm giddy when they play good trailers though.

Overall, I'm getting a better experience quality wise at home than at the movies, no question about it. But I value the two a lot.
How? How?

I live overseas, but I thought you guys had the equivalent in the US.

Jax_Teller wrote:I live overseas, but I thought you guys had the equivalent in the US.
I see. I will begin my research very soon.

Rohan wrote:
Jax_Teller wrote:I live overseas, but I thought you guys had the equivalent in the US.
We have this https://www.moviepass.com/spd which is the closest thing I know of to an unlimited pass. But it has limitations and cost a monthly fee.

I had an unlimited pass as a child when my dad worked as a projectionist in the 80's when being a projectionist was acutally considered a legitimate profession. Another negative of digital is it kind of eliminated an occupation. I literally grew up in the movie theater. I only wish I appreciated film as much then.

darthnazgul wrote:Also, any surround sound system recommendations?
First things first, what is your budget? How much are you willing to spend?

anonymity wrote:
Rohan wrote:
We have this https://www.moviepass.com/spd which is the closest thing I know of to an unlimited pass. But it has limitations and cost a monthly fee.

I had an unlimited pass as a child when my dad worked as a projectionist in the 80's when being a projectionist was acutally considered a legitimate profession. Another negative of digital is it kind of eliminated an occupation. I literally grew up in the movie theater. I only wish I appreciated film as much then.
Well, of course I pay a monthly fee :D but it's virtually unlimited, I can go 10 times a month if I want. There's a little extra to pay if you go see an IMAX movie, but that's it.

My setup as of now;

TV: Sony Bravia 46" LCD (in serious need of an upgrade, it's unacceptable at the moment)
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR 705
Center channel: Klipsch RC 52 II
Fronts: Klipsch RF 52 II
Surrounds: Klipsch RS 52 II
Sub: eD A3-300 (beast of a sub but the cone is damaged and making a weird and distracting noise. Its taking up a lot of space as well so thinking of getting a new sub altogether, preferably an SVS PB-1000)

So really, it's just the sub and TV that need replacing. The Reference series from Klipsch are incredible and my films sound amazing.

I play my blu-ray on a TV from the 50's so that all the movies I watch look like a classic.