Inherent Vice (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
Talli Vladimir apparently had lunch with Paul Thomas Anderson and completely hit it off! Sources say Talli will play a massive pothead who loves to go surfing. Already confirmed to star is Robert Downey Jr. and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. One source said that "Talli is absolutely thrilled to be working with his all time favorite director and idol." Another source said that "Talli is planning to base his physicality on a penguin lol." Looks like Vladimir has finally landed his breakout role and one source said "Don't be surprised if you see him working opposite Tom Hardy and Michael Fassbender next." Shooting is expected to begin this fall after Talli wraps up press duties for Katya.
IDGAF what he thinks about malick, Allstar is a good guy in my books.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... now-writin g-inherent-vice-hopes-to-get-it-going-soon-20120903

With "The Master" making its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival over the weekend, we can now start obsessing over Paul Thomas Anderson's next movie, right? Indeed, given his patient output and increasing space between films (it has been five years each between "Punch-Drunk Love" and "There Will Be Blood," and "There Will Be Blood" and "The Master") it can be a tough wait for fans of the director's work, but the good news is he's already at work on what will hopefully be his next project.

"I’m hoping we can get 'Inherent Vice' going soon. That’s what I’m writing now," he told Screen Daily in Venice. But as folks already know, this one has already been brewing for a while. An adaptation of Thomas Pychon's novel, the project first dropped on the radar in 2010, and shortly thereafter, found financing via Megan Ellison's Annapurna Pictures who also backed "The Master" after Universal bailed out. The picture also seemed to gain a lead in Robert Downey Jr., who as recently as last December, was hinting very strongly at working with Anderson.

The 384-page "novella" is a bit more straightforward than usual Pynchon fare, and follows a private detective uncovering a plot to kidnap a billionaire land developer in drug-kissed 1960s Los Angeles. Many reviewers have even drawn comparisons to the psychedelic noir of "The Big Lebowski." Downey Jr. is eyeing the lead role of the blissed-out investigator, and it will seemingly be another genre detour for Anderson...into stoner comedy?

"[It's] like a 'Cheech and Chong' movie. Adapting Pychon's work is] just gonna be great and, hopefully, fun" he told Empire, while also revealing he's tackling the author's opus "Gravity's Rainbow" as well. “Hopefully not long. I'd like to have a few years of being more productive. But we'll see,” he said about progress on that one.

As for the visual look of the film, and his recent embrace of 70mm for "The Master," he's keeping options open for "Inherent Vice." "It would depend on the story. It would be tempting to do it again. It’s a lovely format. The camera is as big as a table. It’s loud, too. You can hear it in the movie. It’s like a fan at times," he explained to Screen Daily.

So all this to say, "Inherent Vice" is very much in the cards. Let's just hope we don't have to wait until 2017 to see it.
This is excellent news, hopefully Bob Downey will still be on board.
Last edited by Allstar on September 3rd, 2012, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:tooexcited: Finally, some news.
Brave New World

I would rather someone else be the lead.

Durden_77 wrote:I would rather someone else be the lead.

Durden_77 wrote:I would rather someone else be the lead.

Downey Jr is one of those actors you either love or hate. Most people on here love him which is fine I am just not one of them. After reading more in depth about this role he probably is a good choice, and PTA will probably get a great performance out of him.

RDJ in a PTA movie will be really really REALLY great for RDJ's career.

Dude's gonna rock a hell of a performance. PTA knows how to get the best from actors.

RIFA wrote: PTA knows how to get the best from actors.
Very true.

Good news.
Allstar wrote: ...Also revealing he's tackling the author's opus "Gravity's Rainbow" as well. “Hopefully not long. I'd like to have a few years of being more productive. But we'll see,” he said about progress on that one.

Wait, what?
Do you... like pineapple?