Untitled Michael Jackson Biopic (TBA)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 12:39 pm
No, it's a lot more complicated than that. And I'm by no means trying to defend MJ.

Would you say the same thing about Beyonce? Or any other black artist who is/was trying to appear more appealing to mainstream and/or white audiences to achieve success?

When the hatred of your people/culture has been so deeply rooted into the mindset of a country, to the point where its become a cultural feat of its own, why are we so surprised that at least some of these people will have internalized issues about it? They don't have to be "a disgrace" or maliciously anti-black to hold some troubling views about their own identities. This odd necessity to hold black people accountable for not being pro black enough is not a productive way to discuss the ways racism has permeated Western culture, imo. I look at it in a similar way I'd look to a black woman who was straightening her hair to "assimilate" and look "professional" enough to hold a fucking job, because natural black hair is seen as "dirty" and unprofessional. Would it be okay to say that woman hates herself or her race?

And I'm not saying MJ is not a case of internalized racism, because by all accounts it very much seems so, but it's also only very recent when we've become more comfortable with black artists being as unapologetic as possible about loving themselves. We love black art, but we don't love black artists who seem too unwelcoming to white people, so we've forced them to morph themselves into the kind of black artists all people love because they use their culture to entertain and love their culture, but not too much so that it seems bothersome. Also, I feel like it's a pretty established notion that MJ was very likely (very) mentally ill, so I guess that's also important to remember when discussing his troublesome views around his cultural/racial identity.

Also, why would black people hold onto protecting MJ? I mean, look at it this way. Black people, as in black people in America especially, don't nearly have enough people who have achieved such insane amounts of success worldwide. And then you have someone like him, and you are proud, and more willing to overlook the bad things (especially before they were even as known as they are now). For a culture so thoroughly dehumanized over the centuries, I do understand the collective need to have "your" people that can bring you a unifying sense of pride. My 2 cents lol.

p.s. this was all said with my personal feelings about him set aside. personally i cannot bring myself to listen to his music anymore
I fully agree with you on the part about how some normal person who's suffering from internalised racism or sexism shouldn't be hammered because of it. It's indeed not productive to aggressively blame a woman, for instance, who works in a male dominated environment and might adopt behaviours that are rooted in the mentality of a patriarchal society so that she seems more appealing to her co-workers or boss and be more easily accepted by them.

But a person who's in the position of power and influence, a female or black politician or celebrity who young people might look up to and idolise. I don't believe the same applies do them. They shouldn't get to bow to such a problematic system out of the weakness of their mind and get away with it. They don't deserve to be where they are if they do.

Also it's one thing for people to fiercely stand by OJ, Cosby or MJ if we were still in 90s and the number of black celebrities were indeed kept to a low number due to the oppression of racism, but to do it now that there are several examples to choose from, ones who actually try to do right by their own people, sounds more like unreasonable stubbornness to me.

Master Virgo wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 1:35 pm
Ruth wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 12:39 pm
No, it's a lot more complicated than that. And I'm by no means trying to defend MJ.

Would you say the same thing about Beyonce? Or any other black artist who is/was trying to appear more appealing to mainstream and/or white audiences to achieve success?

When the hatred of your people/culture has been so deeply rooted into the mindset of a country, to the point where its become a cultural feat of its own, why are we so surprised that at least some of these people will have internalized issues about it? They don't have to be "a disgrace" or maliciously anti-black to hold some troubling views about their own identities. This odd necessity to hold black people accountable for not being pro black enough is not a productive way to discuss the ways racism has permeated Western culture, imo. I look at it in a similar way I'd look to a black woman who was straightening her hair to "assimilate" and look "professional" enough to hold a fucking job, because natural black hair is seen as "dirty" and unprofessional. Would it be okay to say that woman hates herself or her race?

And I'm not saying MJ is not a case of internalized racism, because by all accounts it very much seems so, but it's also only very recent when we've become more comfortable with black artists being as unapologetic as possible about loving themselves. We love black art, but we don't love black artists who seem too unwelcoming to white people, so we've forced them to morph themselves into the kind of black artists all people love because they use their culture to entertain and love their culture, but not too much so that it seems bothersome. Also, I feel like it's a pretty established notion that MJ was very likely (very) mentally ill, so I guess that's also important to remember when discussing his troublesome views around his cultural/racial identity.

Also, why would black people hold onto protecting MJ? I mean, look at it this way. Black people, as in black people in America especially, don't nearly have enough people who have achieved such insane amounts of success worldwide. And then you have someone like him, and you are proud, and more willing to overlook the bad things (especially before they were even as known as they are now). For a culture so thoroughly dehumanized over the centuries, I do understand the collective need to have "your" people that can bring you a unifying sense of pride. My 2 cents lol.

p.s. this was all said with my personal feelings about him set aside. personally i cannot bring myself to listen to his music anymore
I fully agree with you on the part about how some normal person who's suffering from internalised racism or sexism shouldn't be hammered because of it. It's indeed not productive to aggressively blame a woman, for instance, who works in a male dominated environment and might adopt behaviours that are rooted in the mentality of a patriarchal society so that she seems more appealing to her co-workers or boss and be more easily accepted by them.

But a person who's in the position of power and influence, a female or black politician or celebrity who young people might look up to and idolise. I don't believe the same applies do them. They shouldn't get to bow to such a problematic system out of the weakness of their mind and get away with it. They don't deserve to be where they are if they do.

Also it's one thing for people to fiercely stand by OJ, Cosby or MJ if we were still in 90s and the number of black celebrities were indeed kept to a low number due to the oppression of racism, but to do it now that there are several examples to choose from, ones who actually try to do right by their own people, sounds more like unreasonable stubbornness to me.
I hope you didn't equate mental issues with "weakness of the mind". Because if you did, that's an incredibly shitty thing to say, just saying. No one, not even celebrities, should ever be held accountable or at fault for having "weak minds" - it's a troubling idea that perpetuates this stereotype that celebrities aren't actually human and only exist to entertain and appease these fans who are supposed to always look up to them

Personally, I also wish people were just able to let go of MJ once and for all, but there are too many variables in the basket going way beyond the ones already mentioned by you and i - toxicity of pop fan culture, cult of personality, strong sense of injustice caused by systemically accusing/convicting innocent black men of wrongdoings (which is why the likes of r.kelly were also able to keep going for so long, and why someone like chris brown is still very much adored by his fans), also the very fact that Jackson is dead and the idea of someone not being able to defend themselves any longer is still very present in some people's (regardless of race) minds. It's a really complex issue (the phenomenon of standing up for someone like him out of belief you're doing the right thing, not his actual crimes, mind you), and to add onto that, his estate is also really pushy with the narrative. This film, if it ever comes to fruition, will never come even close to historical objectivity because of his family

Also I do hope you understand that in the eyes of powerful white people, a black powerful person will still never be equal to a powerful white person. To somehow believe that black people in power are suddenly able to escape this cycle of racism that they grew up surrounded by just because they became famous - like idk man. Idk what to say.

Lack of will is what I mean by weakness of the mind. Not mental illness.

Also I do hope you understand that in the eyes of powerful white people, a black powerful person will still never be equal to a powerful white person. To somehow believe that black people in power are suddenly able to escape this cycle of racism that they grew up surrounded by just because they became famous - like idk man. Idk what to say.
I'm saying if one doesn't have the guts to break free of the chain then they shouldn't put themselves in a position to have such major influence over other people.

Young black fans looking up to see that even their hero thinks white people look more attractive and he's working so hard to erase any trace of how black people look like from himself... Celebrities are human too, nobody is above making some mistakes along the way, but that right there is some fucking wrong shit.

The Weeknd should just remake all of Michael Jackson's hits so we would feel less shitty for listening to his songs.

Master Virgo wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 11:59 am
Never understood why some black people would even claim or so aggressively defend a fella who tried his damn hardest to look like a white person.

What kind of a message it is for young black people that the king of pop who's black desperately wants to look attractive by white standards.

If it was the other way around I could understand, but doing that against your own kind who have been oppressed for years and have been told that they look inferior, and their different physical attributes have been mocked and cartoonized by the racist society that they were forced to live in...eh sorry but you were just a disgrace bro.

Edit: That video is hilarious btw. Thanks for making my day by posting it Nomis.
Not much to respond to here but you are so ill-informed and completely off with these views.

There you go, my point exactly.

dealing in absolutes huh

you'd make a fine Sith

Master Virgo wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 6:29 am
There you go, my point exactly.
Not really, and he is right, your posts does read as just straight up ignorance since there is so much evidence of MJ reaffirming his black identity in his speeches, his interviews, his art, etc, etc. A quick google search will show anyone that. His very real skin discolouration disorder does not make him less black. Blackness is way more than an aesthetic. His cultural identity didn’t go away with the skin.

Also, I do not think its any non-black person place to define MJ blackness and how the black community should feel on it. As a non-black POC, I do not feel it is justified for me to assert myself to define blackness when I am not a part of it.

“The unjustified ideas that Michael Jackson did not like being black, did not affirm his blackness, or did not feel pride in being a black man were unequivocally rebutted through his life. He disproved those ideas not only in his short films and in his music, but also in his interviews (which were often given internationally to black interviewers like Jesse Jackson and Oprah Winfrey), showing how much Jackson felt comfortable among people of his own ethnicity, who he clearly felt would be more sympathetic to him. The claim that Jackson purposely changed his skin was a complete fabrication that served to justify a racist assertion that any black man would desire to became white in the first place. This racist assertion is as old as Ben Jonson’s 1608 Masque of Blackness, which enacts the proverb of “turning the Ethiop white”, making a black person apparently white.”
“What Jackson work did, which was perhaps most controversial in America, was to show black people as a whole, and himself in particular, in positions of high status, which jarred greatly with the American culture of blacks as subjugated and segregated second-class citizens.”
— Elizabeth Amisu, The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife

Lol yeah, he had skin disorder and then instead of using makeup and surgery to appear evenly dark, you know his natural skin colour, (same thing my uncle does who has the same problem) he decided to "even things out" the other way.

And he didn't stop at that. He altered his nose, lips and hair through multiple procedures and other things to the point that he looked nothing like his own kind. You might change one thing or two and still be fairly recognisable as a black person and that's perfectly fine, but not freaking everything. Like how much of an apologist can you possibly be to buy into that bullshit. Jebus.

And who is talking about blackness. Where did I say being black is all about physical appearance? Wtf?

Maybe he was proud of being black apart from how they look like, (either that or he was business savvy enough not to say otherwise, smartly betting on words fooling people to the point that they can't see what is right in front of their eyes) but we are talking about the effect that his actions have had on the subconscious of the African-American community. The damage he has done through his actions. Who gives a shit what he claims to be proud of in some interview?

It shouldn't be such a problem that Jackson's skin became so light and that he chose to have a nose job and changed his hair. You're making it sound like he had to "even things out" to match his original skin colour, just because that was his original skin colour. So what he didn't do that? It shouldn't matter.
Janet had a nose job too, millions of people do, so what. The fact that they are/were superstars shouldn't mean they're not allowed to change their appearance, even if that means they look less like they did. No matter how famous they remain people and should have control over what they want to look like, wear etc.