Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
N X T
L V L

all my thoughts on top level films are sorta the same i.e. "wow the filmmakers really understand humanity/life"
nothing better than seeing a movie that has no BS and earns every moment.

EDIT: nomis i know it's you and you can't win
Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on October 18th, 2019, 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

I need this movie in my veins.

So there’s just no thread for this...?

This was the real deal. My #2 of the year so far, right after Parasite.

Seeing it Sat afternoon. Had friends in the screening you were in. Said energy in the room was huge.

-Vader

Words cannot express my love for this movie.

Panapaok wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 4:32 am
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 5:42 am
EDIT: nomis i know it's you and you can't win
i see you joined in 2014 so i think you missed it but there is lots of historical precedent for appreciation threads. this was a callback of sorts, with the twist being that for once the subject matter warrants the title

Cannot stop thinking about this. There’s a scene in the middle which involves singing and it blew me away. The ending, a nice little coda, is also insane. A truly powerful movie about the power of art/painting/cinema.

this is completely lovely. found the formalism slightly stifling, but its visually amazing and daring and the final 5 minutes transmogrify the whole thing into the sublime. its an ode to love and the creative spirit and how those may be one and the same.

as far as formal "historical attitudes threatening the love of lesbians" dramas go, i liked this a lot more than Carol

and yes, "that scene" in the middle is transcendent

-Vader