Marriage Story (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 6:25 pm
Blue Valentine is more visceral / raw, Star is Born is too, but Marriage Story feels more "ordinary" and or even banal, giving those moments a real-world credibility that really fucked me up

-Vader
Yep, it feels much more like a realistic divorce/separation for these reasons.

Yet Marriage story is about people who have quite a great life, whilst the characters of Blue Valentine have a very hard life.
Some of the hardest moment of Blue Valentine are not about their break-up: Williams hesitating to abort, Gosling being beaten up, Williams'completely dysfunctional family, and of course the rape scene... The break-up is only one of the many elements that breaks the viewer emotionnally. Also the violence of Marriage story is through trial and justice and therefore expresses itself in civilised ways, which isn't the case in Blue Valentine.
I'd much rather be one of the character of Marriage story than of Blue Valentine.
Last edited by Demoph on January 16th, 2020, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curious to what about Blue Valentine don't you find as realistic? I agree that Marriage story does find a good balance of the ordinary moments which brings relatable moments though. Just think the ending is the best case for most divorced couples and usually looks more similar to the first.

Forum Pro
Law
I don't mean to go off topic but happy to see the homie Durden still lurks for discussion.

Law wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 8:58 pm
I don't mean to go off topic but happy to see the homie Durden still lurks for discussion.
yes

-Vader